Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

D. J. Fluker, OT/OG Alabama

• Jules
    BMF
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Didn't know the J stood for Jesus. I imagine that's what the d-linemen think when they line up across from him!
    Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

c/p from old board from oip:

Chargers selected Alabama RT D.J. Fluker with the No. 11 overall pick.
      Fluker (6-foot-4 5/8, 339) was a 35-game starter for the Crimson Tide, making all of them at right tackle. Although Fluker possesses vine-like 36 3/4-inch arms, he's not suited to block on an island and slow feet will keep him on the right side or perhaps even kick Fluker inside to guard. Fluker ran a 5.31 forty with a 1.81 ten-yard split in Indianapolis. As a senior, he allowed 5.5 sacks and 15.5 hurries of quarterback A.J. McCarron. San Diego is still reeling on the offensive line. We're not sure their pass protection got any better with this pick.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Sport Science examines the force that draft prospect D.J. Fluker can generate on any given play.

Sport Science vid

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

c/p from SC17:

Just wanted to point out this recent picture of a fat f*ck that looks like he's going to eat himself out of the league.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Relevant posts from TT:

Originally Posted by FLEET View Post
            TT- "We think Fluker will be a cornerstone for a long Time" - I have no problem taking a long term solution at a position of need with the 11th pick. At first i thought he would make a stud OG. And i still do. But i think after evaluating him more....and listening to what other team staffs were saying leading up to the draft....that he will be a very solid starting RT for years to come. His passion alone is what makes him coach-able. I think the talent is there. There were not a lot of players in this draft i considered safe picks. I think Cosells evaluation of him was pretty influential for me.

"We had discussions during the week about moving up....and today(draft day) we had discussions about moving back....but nothing materialized" - Sounds to me like maybe the Bolts were open to trading down but didnt get the offer they wanted.

"Fluker was the top player on our board when we drafted" TT

"Theres a premium on OTs.....Left and Right....if the 2 OGs were still on the board we would have taken Fluker" Response to Trotter at the Day 1 PC.. Clearly the Bolts had Fluker higher than Warmack and Cooper.

"Leading up to the pick if we are entertaining offers to move back we have a cut off period before we make our pick. So if the deal isnt closed before we go on the clock we make the pick right away" - I know some of you were complaining that we didnt even entertain offers and felt that since we sent the pick in so fast that trading back wasnt an option. TT himself says if the offer isnt in before they go on the clock they dont do the deal. Whether or not they even tried i dont know. But it dosnt sound like they got the offer they wanted before they went on the clock. Once TT is on the clock he dosnt wait.

Hacksaw asks prior to the draft...."what do you do if the top 3 OTs and Top OGs are off the board?" TT-"Who are the top 3 OTs/OGs? "We have our opinions/rankings and everyone else has theirs." I think from the get go TT had Fluker near the top of his board. In fact i think a lot of teams did. Its not the teams that overrated him.....its everyday wannabe GMs like us here at the forum that underestimated him.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

DJ SMASH!! (by Beerman)

NOTES, QUOTES

--Rookie right tackle D.J. Fluker, the team's first-round pick, is getting some work at right guard. Fluker, like any rookie, is being challenged in absorbing a new system and terminology. Coach Mike McCoy said there is no cause for alarm regarding Fluker, and that different combinations are being tried.

King Dunlap, who was penciled in to be the starter at left tackle before the team signed Max Starks, is also working at right tackle. Jeromey Clary, the team's starter at right tackle last year, has been shifted inside and is running with the first team at right guard. But McCoy has nothing but praise for Fluker.

"(He) works extremely hard in doing everything the way you ask him to do it," McCoy said.

---

There... basically all caught up on Fluker!
              Last edited by Bolt-O; 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Ideally he's suited for the Right Tackle spot. I hope the coaches keep him there.
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

LOL.....

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

That guy is a normal adult apparently...

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

D.J. Fluker will be moved to right guard like some in the media are predicting and not be the right tackle. – Bob Ratley

Ricky Henne: False – 100% false! The San Diego Chargers drafted Fluker to plug him in at right tackle for the next decade-plus. Head coach Mike McCoy is on record saying that is where he will line up, and rightfully so. The team will put together the best five-man unit possible, and that appears to be with Jeromey Clary at right guard and Fluker at right tackle. The biggest battle will be between King Dunlap and Max Starks to start at left tackle. I look forward to watching who emerges during training camp and preseason to grab hold of the starting spot.

Jordan Beane: False - Moments after drafting the right tackle out of Alabama, general manager Tom Telesco had this to say about Fluker – “We see D.J. (having) a chance to be one of our cornerstones on the offensive line.” The team put a lot of effort into scouting Fluker and believes that he is a key piece to their offensive line. With King Dunlap and Max Starks battling it out for the starting left tackle spot (and the runner up used as a swing tackle), D.J. is entrenched at the right tackle spot. While he himself has said there are things he needs to improve, this is still football in shorts. I’d expect Fluker to be mauling defensive ends from the right tackle position when the team takes the field on September 9th against the Houston Texans.
                      Can we please put to rest the move to OG speculations!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                        Can we please put to rest the move to OG speculations!
                        The day anyone starts listening to those two...

I guess it's the easiest way for the team to control the media. Create their own.
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                        X