• Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chargers 6th Round Pick: Sam Tevi, T, Utah

Overview

Tevi (pronounced Tevv-ee) suited up as a defensive lineman as a true freshman for the Utes in 2013, playing in 11 games and contributing nine tackles, two for loss, and a sack. Coaches wanted him to move to the offensive line, which Tevi wasn't keen on right away. But he made the switch for the sake of the team, and it's paid off for him personally, as he's now an NFL prospect. He played special teams and occasionally on the line during the 2014 season before earning the starting job on the blind side for all 13 games of his junior campaign. The team needed him to move to the right tackle spot due to injuries on the line, and he flourished there, as well, other than missing two games with a back injury.

Analysis

Strengths Has starting experience at both left and right tackles. Displays good foot quickness in his pass sets and operates from consistent base width. Able to meet speed at the edge in pass protection. Converted defensive tackle and has a little bit of edge in his play. Downblocks have some kick in them. Works well with guards. Big hands with decent strength.

Weaknesses Helmet blocker who ducks head into contact in both run and pass blocks. Doesn't throws hands quickly enough and they land higher than he's likely aiming. Despite foot quickness, fails to consistently find position on back-side blocks. Plays with stiffness in knees which creates pad level issues. Weight too far outside in his pass sets and can be rocked off-balance by stab moves and bull rushes. Way behind on his work against twists.

Draft Projection Rounds 6-7

Sources Tell Us "I like his feet but he's just way too inconsistent." - NFC West area scout

Bottom Line Has decent size and enough athletic ability to warrant a look as a swing tackle. His lack of anchor in the passing game and instincts against twists could be big problems for offensive line coaches.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

One of my favorite word combinations, offensive tackle and foot speed. PS the guy right now.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

6'5"
      Height
      34"
      Arm Length
      311LBS.
      Weight
      10 1/8"
      Hands

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

He sounds very raw, especially going from DT to LT to RT. But teams were interested in seeing the kid: Between his Pro Day and private workouts, the 6-5, 311-pound Tevi has worked out for 25 offensive line coaches.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            And still a virgin.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

Developmental tackle with quick feet. Solid pick in the 6th. Obviously will take a while to contribute but could develop into a swing tackle sooner than later. As a recent convert from DL he likely has less bad habits to break and the added nastiness that players like Dielman have had in the past.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Tevi (6’5/311) arrived at Utah as a defensive tackle before converting to offensive line for his final three seasons, starting at left tackle as a junior and right tackle as a senior. He never earned all-conference recognition in the Mountain West, and tested as a 20th-percentile athlete before the draft. Nevertheless, Tevi has experience playing a variety of positions in addition to long arms (34") and big hands (10 1/8"). While not a particularly compelling prospect, he’s worth a look based purely on size as O-Line talent across the league continues to evaporate.
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Boltdog
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Lunar Surface
                  • Nutrition Consultant
                  • Send PM

Possible TT spin: "We were shocked Tevi was still available in Round 6. We considered trading up to grab him before someone else did."
                  Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

This is the type of guy I like to see gambled on the last 2 rounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post

Tevi (6’5/311) arrived at Utah as a defensive tackle before converting to offensive line for his final three seasons, starting at left tackle as a junior and right tackle as a senior. He never earned all-conference recognition in the Mountain West, and tested as a 20th-percentile athlete before the draft. Nevertheless, Tevi has experience playing a variety of positions in addition to long arms (34") and big hands (10 1/8"). While not a particularly compelling prospect, he’s worth a look based purely on size as O-Line talent across the league continues to evaporate.
                      I don't recall Utah being in the MWC for the last 4 years.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                        This is the type of guy I like to see gambled on the last 2 rounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                        I hope it doesn't mean we miss out on one of Tul'kolovatu or Qualls this draft. Seems like we could have drafted Tevi with our 7th round pick. Oh well.
                        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Working...
                        X