• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Draft Grades

I give them my usual A. Because I am the ultimate homer.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Los Angeles Chargers‏Verified account @Chargers 59m59 minutes ago

Tom Telesco notes no draft is ever perfect but says this was an extremely productive one. Got players they expect to make immediate impact.
    4 replies 49 retweets 133 likes
    TT gives himself an A too.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Incomplete as far as player performance.

For meeting perceived needs: B (Would have liked to see an edge rusher somewhere.)
      For value against the draft boards: B+ (Tevi is a mixed bag, boom or bust)

Can we grade 2013 instead? Allen and Tourek Williams remain - C

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

If I knew how NFL ready Sam Tevi is I'd have a clearer idea on grading our draft. Because if he's strictly developmental then I believe they should have waited on him until the 7th round and taken one of Qualls or Tul'kolovatu at DT in the 6th. But he could be closer to playing than I have any idea about.

That said, I loved the Lamp pick - excellent value - and thought the Feeney pick was also a perfect fit as a well-rounded Guard. We got two very talented DB's also. And as far as I read, the 7th round pick was another good value pick. But I don't know if he's as good a football player as either Qualls or Stevie T. Tevi is the wild card IMO. But I'd still give TT a B+.
        Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 04-29-2017, 03:10 PM.
        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Elliot Harrison, NFL.com liked the draft:

Los Angeles Chargers: Philip Rivers is 35 -- old enough to recognize every defense thrown at him, young enough to make all the throws his mind processes for responding to those defenses but barely young enough to have a Super Bowl window left. So what did the Chargers do? Skip taking a quarterback and provide the guy help. They took Mike Williams out of Clemson in the first round, a red-zone target from Day 1. Then they provided Rivers with back-to-back quality interior linemen in Rounds 2 and 3. The fans screaming for defensive help were satiated with Rayshawn Jenkins and Desmond King. NFL.com draftnik Mark Dulgerian opined that Jenkins will be a special teams stud right away.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

7 223 Stevie Tu'ikolovatu | DT, Southern CaliforniaHeight: 6-1 Weight: 320A big, strong run-stuffing DT prospect with little pass rush ability and will be a 25-year-old rookie. C+

7 225 Isaac Rochell | DE, Notre DameHeight: 6-4 Weight: 282A very athletic defensive lineman with high character and a motor that always runs hot. Very good value in Round 7. A+
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
              7 223 Stevie Tu'ikolovatu | DT, Southern CaliforniaHeight: 6-1 Weight: 320A big, strong run-stuffing DT prospect with little pass rush ability and will be a 25-year-old rookie. C+

7 225 Isaac Rochell | DE, Notre DameHeight: 6-4 Weight: 282A very athletic defensive lineman with high character and a motor that always runs hot. Very good value in Round 7. A+
              That's very encouraging. Who wrote that?
              For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Millionaire Pussy View Post
                That's very encouraging. Who wrote that?
                On CBS draft tracker
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                  Fluent in Sarcasm
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Iowa
                  • Man of the People
                  • Send PM

If your problems with the draft start in the 6th round than I think it's a great draft. There's a reason those guys are available still, nit-picking them is a bit redundant.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

from SI

Los Angeles Chargers: A

The Chargers took WR Mike Williams at No. 7, which is an exciting pick and will help Philip Rivers keep that passing game cranked up. They might not have needed him, per se, but his talent is huge. The players they did need came in Rounds 2 and 3, in the form of G/T Forrest Lamp (No. 38) and G Dan Feeney (No. 71). A fantastic Day 2 haul that should go a long way toward fixing a long-troublesome, oft-banged up line. The Rayshawn Jenkins (No. 113) and Desmond King (No. 151) back-to-back on Day 3 also should help. Keep a close eye on King, whose playmaking skills alone should have gotten him off the board much earlier.​ Click here for a complete list of the Chargers’ picks.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

SB Nation

Los Angeles Chargers

When the Chargers took wide receiver Mike Williams in the first round, I thought it was early for the Clemson wide receiver, But given the top-10 run at the position, the NFL seemed to love receivers high more than those who cover the draft. If getting Williams was early, the Chargers stole guard Forrest Lamp with the 38th pick. He’s a great player and should get into the starting lineup immediately.

I criticized the pick of Dan Feeney in the third round because he’s another interior blocker. But then the Chargers made up for it by getting defensive backs Rayshawn Jenkins and Desmond King on the third day of the draft. King is a particularly intriguing pick. Like with Tabor of Florida, throw away the size and measurables; he just makes plays. Jenkins can be a good enforcer safety for the Chargers. I may not like the order in which the Chargers filled needs, but they filled them all successfully. The knock on this draft is not finding a defensive lineman until the seventh round.

Grade: B
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

CBS Winner: Los Angeles Chargers

Here's another team like the Cardinals with a franchise quarterback and potentially small window for Philip Rivers to win. And no one did a better job of helping out their quarterback in this draft than the Chargers. Los Angeles spent the seventh overall pick on Mike Williams from Clemson, who will thrive with Rivers as a guy who can secure jump balls and be a big, powerful possession receiver. Passing on McCaffrey there might come back to haunt them, though.

The next two picks were all about protection for Rivers: Forrest Lamp from Western Kentucky and Dan Feeney from Indiana immediately make the offensive line tougher and better. Both guys could end up starting.

Tom Telesco dove into the defense on the back end of the draft, grabbing safeties Rayshawn Jenkins (Miami) and Desmond King (Iowa) in the fourth and fifth rounds, before nabbing another offensive lineman, Sam Tevi out of Utah, who is likely a developmental prospect. Isaac Rochell from Notre Dame rounded things out.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X