Clear All
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

2018: The Search for Rivers' Successor

Hurray we had a nice draft, but let's get to what really matters. The possible talent available at the QB position next year makes me hopeful that we finally select a QB to groom behind Rivers. Some prospects obviously need more work than others, but there are potentially 5 first round worthy QBs next year, most of whom would probably have been the first QB off the board if they had been in this years draft class. It's always nice to have names to keep an eye on so here are some of the guys that I'll be keeping a close eye on over the next collegiate season (hint: Hope you like the PAC12)

Potential 1st Rounders:
    Sam Darnold, USC (possible #1 overall)
    Josh Rosen, UCLA
    Luke Falk, Wash. State
    Josh Allen, Wyoming
    Jake Browning, Washington

Potential Mid-Rounders (2-5):
    Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
    Mason Rudolph, Ok. State
    Riley Ferguson, Memphis
    Trace McSorley, Penn St.
    Lamar Jackson, Louisville

Not all of these guys are seniors so obviously there are some names on the list that might not declare but it's easy to see why TT decided to not address QB this draft.
  • chargerkdb
    Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Hotter than hell, Georgia
    • Send PM

Some on that list will fade and some will pull a Trabisky and come from nowhere.

I'm not even sure it has to be next year. This draft and some wins under our belt and Rivers may have another year or two than we thought. He is the sort that will do it until he can't and I'm not seeing much dip due to age yet. He's pretty much an iron man and uber competitor. I don't want to chase him off too soon and see him elsewhere being effective for a season or two.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

We're tremendously fortunate that Philip is so durable. But time and tide wait for no man. It's no coincidence his draft classmates (Manning and Roethlisberger) now have rookie draftees behind them, but not instant competition. Regardless of cause, if the Chargers don't have a winning record, I expect that they will draft the QB of the future next season... and its good that these QBs look decent. At least there wasn't a Suck for Sam vibe out of this draft... with the two linemen they are set up for help for PR or the future replacement (like the Cowboys).

Comment

• chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
        • Send PM

Pats have drafted Brady's replacement a few times. I suspect they'll do it at least once more too. If Rivers is healthy and effective you play him for all he has. QB's of his caliber do not grow on trees.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

I think next year may have the potential to be the deepest QB draft in a long time. Id like for Rivers to play at least 3 more years. So a new QB sitting for 2 years and backing up Rivers is a smart sound idea. I dont care about the cost of not starting a high drafted QB right away. But i dont want to draft a QB the year Rivers retires. Id like some overlap for a development phase. I actually would have been fine with Webb this year. And was even hoping for Seth Russel late. I think he will impress in Oakland this preseason.

I dont want to panic pick the a franchise QB. And i dont want to mortgage the future either. And the way things look for next year no matter where we are drafting i think a stud QB will be there in the first 2 rounds. If we are top 10 i think we score. But i dont expect us to be there.

Id love to see Rivers become our QB coach. Or even better part of a team of players like LT, Palmer, Rodgers and Brees who purchase the team. They all live in Del Mar near my brother.

Comment

• Geezbolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Sun Valley, ID
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            Or even better part of a team of players like LT, Palmer, Rodgers and Brees who purchase the team. They all live in Del Mar near my brother.
            Don't get me excited.

Comment

• Attack
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
              Hurray we had a nice draft, but let's get to what really matters. The possible talent available at the QB position next year makes me hopeful that we finally select a QB to groom behind Rivers. Some prospects obviously need more work than others, but there are potentially 5 first round worthy QBs next year, most of whom would probably have been the first QB off the board if they had been in this years draft class. It's always nice to have names to keep an eye on so here are some of the guys that I'll be keeping a close eye on over the next collegiate season (hint: Hope you like the PAC12)

Potential 1st Rounders:
              Sam Darnold, USC (possible #1 overall)
              Josh Rosen, UCLA
              Luke Falk, Wash. State
              Josh Allen, Wyoming
              Jake Browning, Washington

Potential Mid-Rounders (2-5):
              Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
              Mason Rudolph, Ok. State
              Riley Ferguson, Memphis
              Trace McSorley, Penn St.
              Lamar Jackson, Louisville

Not all of these guys are seniors so obviously there are some names on the list that might not declare but it's easy to see why TT decided to not address QB this draft.

Other teams that may be looking for a franchise QB next year besides the Chargers are the Jets, 49ers, Browns (yes, even with Kizer), Ravens, Steelers, Jags, Bills, Saints, and Cards, and out of these teams, the Ravens, Steelers, Saints, and Cards could have decent to good records. If healthy, I see us picking in the early to mid-20's next year. Even with all the draft pundits saying none of the QBs were worthy of a first round grade this yr, or maybe a late first round pick, all 3 QBs selected in the first round went in the top 12 picks, and teams traded up for each of the QBs. The teams trading way up (KC and Houston) gave up this year's 1st and next year's 1st. As things look now, the better QBs expected to be in next year's draft will likely be top 10 picks, meaning if the Chargers are going to get one of the top QBs, then it probably will take trading up into the top 10 or so and giving up the 2018 and 2019 #1 picks plus probably more picks for someone else's #1 pick. It's not a long shot to say that the Jets, 49ers, Browns, Jags, and Bills could all be picking in the top 10 next year, and all would have an easier opportunity to select a top QB than us, either by staying with their own pick or trading up a couple of picks and not giving up the farm to do so. The way I see it, it's going to be costly for us to draft a franchise QB next yr in the first round. Not a fan of Lamar Jackson as a pro, and no way is McSorley a pro QB to me. I think the Jets are destined to draft Darnold.

A QB that I would keep an eye on, provided that he can come back from his horrible knee injury, is Teddy Bridgewater. He can throw it and I thought was primed to have a very good year in 2016, but was done before the year started and may not be ready for 2017 either.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

There are also some FA QBs next year that those teams could acquire. Garropolo and Chase Daniels are 2 backups that could start for some of those teams that are set to become UFA. I'm also not saying we need to grab one of the first rounders. If they're going to sit behind Rivers we can grab one of the mid round guys that have the measurables. This was more to give people players to watch out for than to decide who we should be drafting a full year ahead of time.

Comment

• Attack
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                  There are also some FA QBs next year that those teams could acquire. Garropolo and Chase Daniels are 2 backups that could start for some of those teams that are set to become UFA. I'm also not saying we need to grab one of the first rounders. If they're going to sit behind Rivers we can grab one of the mid round guys that have the measurables. This was more to give people players to watch out for than to decide who we should be drafting a full year ahead of time.
                  I hear you. I'm just a proponent of picking a franchise QB in the first round. And you're right about Garropolo being available (potentially) after next year. There are several mocks out there for 2018 already, and most have the top QBs going in the top 10 or 12 picks.

Comment

• Maverick
                    (Coryellian)
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Point Loma
                    • Send PM

My choice next year would be Josh Allen (Wyoming).

Strong arm, quick release, decent mobility/ability to climb the pocket, prototypical size, all the measurables....

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post

Strong arm, quick release, decent mobility/ability to climb the pocket, prototypical size, all the measurables....
                      After watching him play against SDSU, I'm pretty lukewarm about him.

Comment

• Attack
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post

The issue that has been raised with Allen is his accuracy. Not sure that accuracy is something that can be improved, if his arm strength is adequate now.

Comment

Working...
                        X