• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    Philip Rivers has been sacked 17 times this year, #35 in the league and the least of any starting qb. So by talent or scheme, the OL is doing its job in pass protection. The run blocking sucks, the D is in the backfield all too often and the LBs seem to fill any open hole. Is that talent level or scheme?

I want to upgrade the OL, but I just don't put it #1 on the draft list anymore. I'm still good with taking an OT in the first if he is BPA, but I don't have to if there is another BPA that fits our needs better.
    Remember that have Lamp coming back so assuming he is healthy, we have a very promising young linemen waiting in the wings. But we can never have enough talent on either line.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
      Philip Rivers has been sacked 17 times this year, #35 in the league and the least of any starting qb. So by talent or scheme, the OL is doing its job in pass protection. The run blocking sucks, the D is in the backfield all too often and the LBs seem to fill any open hole. Is that talent level or scheme?

I want to upgrade the OL, but I just don't put it #1 on the draft list anymore. I'm still good with taking an OT in the first if he is BPA, but I don't have to if there is another BPA that fits our needs better.
      That old wives tale about OL being the reason for so few sacks is just nonsense. Rivers has as much to do with the ball being thrown before the rush gets there as the OL has about holding people out. The OL needs help.

That being said, because we are a quick passing offense, an interior OL may have more value. Quick pressure up the middle (OG/C) is more disruptive to us than pressure off the edge (OT). We drafted Feeney who has played pretty well for a rookie. Lamp, presumably will play well. But that still leaves a big hole at C. Pulley has the tools to be a good C, but looks like a better fit as a backup OG than C to me. Both OT spots could use help, but probably not as much as at C.
      Last edited by Steve; 12-28-2017, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

A nasty and smart top C would make such a difference with this O.

Comment

• Attack
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2017
          • Send PM

Ohio St C Billy Price playing now vs USC. Possible target in draft.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
            Bearded14YourPleasure commented
            Editing a comment
            Looked like he had a lot of success pulling in the run game. Saw him as the lead blocker on the edge quite a few times. I’m sure his experience as a guard helps with that. Hard to judge his pass blocking based off the game since Ohio State wasn’t in a lot of obvious passing situations and USC doesn’t have a great pass rush.

Owusu from USC looked pretty good at LB. Not sure how good of a fit he would be in Bradley’s defense but might be a player to look at in the middle rounds.
        • CTrout
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Looking forward to seeing Washingtons LB Azeem Victor today. I haven't heard much about him...yet...but I'm sure he'll be getting more mention the closer we get to the draft.

Comment

• CTrout
            CTrout commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha...nevermind he's suspended.
        • richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Phillips is a stud. Thats why OL who go up against him and hold their own will stand out. The OG Nelson at Notre Dame was one and has had a great season. He could get Zach Martin comparisons. And Lamp/Nelson with Slausson back at Center may be a nice interior for us.

Comment

• OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Slauson who? Notice nobody said how much we missed him, because the drop off in talent is not that steep, agree he can come back as low cost backup or he can walk.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Slauson is still an option, but he is very near the end of the line even if he can come all the way back next season, which at his age is not a given. Feeney did a good, if somewhat uneven job, in Slauson's absence and at least showed that he is probably going to be a long term answer at OG. He had a good rookie year, although he has some things he needs to work on.

The big advantage to bringing back Slauson would be that he can play C. It is not his best position, but he did a solid job last year and could probably do so again. The downside is that even if he plays at an all pro level next year (something he probably won't do), then we still need to keep looking for an answer at C next year. IF we can find an answer at C this year, we should take it and anchor that position for a while.

AS I have mentioned before, the rumor mill had both Lamp and Feeney getting mention as possible prospects at C during the build up to the draft. I can see that, although I am not completely sold on the idea. So, if we move Feeney over (the Chargers mentioned that they view Lamp as primarily a OG), then either Wiggins, Slauson or a draft pick can line up at 1 OG spot and Lamp the other. An alternative would be adding someone like a FA or Billy Price via the draft. Then You have Feeney at LG, Lamp at RG and the new person at C. Either way, the interior OL could be settled for a while.

Wiggins had a good year and got better as the season went on. Right now, I kinda think of him as a solid starter. I don't think he have to replace him. If nothing else he gives some competition and allows Lamp and/or Feeney to be brought on a bit more slowly. He could also provide good depth. A guy like Quenton Nelson would be hard to pass on though since he is easily one of the best college OL I have ever seen. If McGlinchey, the Notre Dame LT goes very high, he needs to give half his signing bonus to Nelson, because Nelson is constantly doing things to help out the rest of the Notre Dame OL and still is dominating the guys over him. He probably won't get too much love at the top 5 picks because he is not a great pull and lead guy, but he is more athletic in space than I think many give him credit. He is also playing with amazing balance and is beaten off the line by quick guys and always seems to be able to recover. If Nelson falls out of the top 5 we should trade up and get the steal of the draft and take him.

Comment

• Attack
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2017
                • Send PM

Watched some of the Wash-Penn St game yesterday, and Vita Vea wasn't overly impressive to me. Didn't seem to make many impact plays. Saw one play where he made a special teams tackle, but not interested in what he does on ST, other than he hustled. He was double teamed quite a bit, but also was handled one on one a number of times.

Watched Billy Price on Fri night vs USC, and he moves well, gets to the second level, is strong and seems to be a mauler, and just looks and acts like a leader. And Urban Meyer always praises him, even when asked specifically about QB Barrett's performance.

Wil be watching for Maurice Hurst in Michigan's game tomorrow.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I refer Maurice Hurst over Vea because he is a pass rusher. This could make our line dominant in the passing game.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post
                    Watched some of the Wash-Penn St game yesterday, and Vita Vea wasn't overly impressive to me. Didn't seem to make many impact plays. Saw one play where he made a special teams tackle, but not interested in what he does on ST, other than he hustled. He was double teamed quite a bit, but also was handled one on one a number of times.

Watched Billy Price on Fri night vs USC, and he moves well, gets to the second level, is strong and seems to be a mauler, and just looks and acts like a leader. And Urban Meyer always praises him, even when asked specifically about QB Barrett's performance.

Wil be watching for Maurice Hurst in Michigan's game tomorrow.
                    Yeah Urban said that his team leaders may be his personal favorites ever. And one of those was Price. They are doing good things in the trenches at OSU from a coaching standpoint. DS just updated rankings and gave him a 1st round grade.

​​​​​​
                    Billy Price, C, Ohio State
                    Name: Billy Price
                    College: Ohio State Number: 54
                    Height: 6-3 Weight: 312
                    Position: C Pos2: OG Class/Draft Year: rSr/2018
                    40 Low: 5.08
                    40 Time: 5.19
                    40 High: 5.38

Projected Round: 1 Stock:
                    Rated number 1 out of 83 C's 27 / 2301 TOTAL
                    Combine Results Pro Day Results
                    Combine Invite:
                    Height: 6032
                    Weight: 312

PD3X AKA "Official"
                    40 Yard Dash (ET):

40 Yard Dash (HH):
                    20 Yard (ET):
                    20 Yard (HH):
                    10 Yard (ET):
                    10 Yard (HH):
                    225 Lb. Bench Reps:
                    Vertical Jump:
                    Broad Jump:
                    20 Yrd Shuttle:
                    3-Cone Drill:
                    Dates:
                    Hand: Arm:
                    Wingspan:

Height: 6032
                    Weight: 312

40 Yard Dash (HH):
                    20 Yard (HH):
                    10 Yard (HH):
                    225 Lb. Bench Reps:
                    Vertical Jump:
                    Broad Jump:
                    20 Yrd Shuttle:
                    3-Cone Drill:
                    Data Scout Notes: **2017: OLOYC/1stC...2016: 1stC...POutland...2015: 3rdC/HMM
                    Billy Price/Ohio State football Videos
                    *Automated search based on player first/last name, college team name, football, 3 loading panels, click video to view in full size on this page,
                    watch or fast forward one full video, or open player with red arrow to choose more cuts at the bottom of the big video screen.
                    Click "I'm done watching this" blue link at the top of video to close screen. If available/HQ changes video quality.
                    Header
                    Billy Price
                    Ohio State Buckeyes
                    Center
                    6-3, 312, 5.19, #54
                    Austintown, Ohio
                    Fitch High School
                    Update
                    Already voted the Big Ten's Offensive Lineman of the Year, Price was recognized as the nation's top center December 7, earning the Rimington Trophy. The two-time first-team all-Big Ten Conference performer led an offensive line that powered the Buckeyes to national rankings of No. 6 in total offense, No. 5 in scoring, No. 15 rushing, No. 28 in passing, No. 1 in first downs and No. 5 in third down percentage.
                    Overview
                    There may not be a player in the 2018 NFL draft with a more impressive resume than Price.

With the Buckeyes boasting a who's who of NFL prospects along the offensive line when he signed in 2013, Ohio State understandably redshirted Price in his first season on campus. He earned a starting role at guard in the season opener for the eventual national champions and never looked back, rotating between right guard, left guard and center for the next 54 consecutive games.

His first three starts came at right guard in 2014 before he switched to the left side for the final 12 games of Ohio State's run to the title. Price remained on the left side the next two seasons, earning Third Team All-Big Ten honors from league coaches in 2015 before ascending to First Team accolades as a redshirt junior. Media was even higher on his play, recognizing Price as an All-American at left guard while senior Pat Elflein earned the same honors (along with the Rimington Trophy and Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year) at center.

With Elflein moving on to the Minnesota Vikings via a second round pick, Urban Meyer made the unusual decision to move his reigning All-American to a different position. Of course, Meyer knew that Price, a team captain who had practiced at center since the spring of 2014, could likely handle the move and was already being projected there by NFL scouts.

As good as Price was at guard earlier in his career, he may have been even better at center in 2017. The unquestioned leader of Ohio State's offensive line, he deserves a great deal of credit for a squad that led the country in first downs and ranked fifth overall in scoring through the regular season despite a less-than-consistent passing attack. He joined Elflein and 2016 first round pick Taylor Decker (Detroit Lions) as Ohio State's third consecutive Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year.

Needless to say, scouts can check a lot of boxes with Price. He boasts a prototypical build and mentality for the interior, along with quickness, balance and power. Price's square-ish frame and high football I.Q. project best to center at the next level but his ability to slide to either guard position if needed could be the factor which helps him continue another impressive streak at Ohio State - of producing at least one top 50 selection each year since 2012.

BACKGROUND
                    Price was the Associated Press's 2012 Division I co-defensive player of the year in the state of Ohio (along with Ohio State teammates Gareon Conley and Tracy Sprinkle) and a first-team all-state pick. He was a consensus four-star prospect (ESPN, Rivals, 247Sports, Scout) after splitting his time between offensive and defensive line in high school, earning first-team all-state as a junior at defensive tackle when he recorded 40 tackles with three sacks, 10 TFLs and an interception. Placed seventh in the discus at the 2012 Ohio outdoor state track and field meet after placing sixth in the shot and second in the weight throw indoors. Price graduated in May 2017 with his degree in business administration with a specialization in operations management.
                    Analysis
                    STRENGTHS
                    Built like he was born to play center with a compact, square-ish frame, including excellent weight distribution. Possesses a powerful lower body with a big bubble, fire hydrants for limbs and a vice-like grip which help him physically maul opponents.

Terrific power to create a surge in the running game, jolting opponents with his initial punch and extending his arms - literally bench-pressing opponents at the point of attack - while keeping his legs driving to finish the block. Very good initial quickness and lateral agility for a center, often snapping the ball and escaping laterally to flank the tackles and provide athletic quarterback J.T. Barrett the moving pocket from which he thrives.

Good snap to pop quickness, showing terrific hand-eye coordination to complete the exchange and deliver a forceful punch to the defensive tackle in one fluid motion. Good lateral agility and awareness in pass protection. Technically sound in pass protection with excellent awareness, keeping his head on a swivel to help teammates. Plays on the balls of his feet and with his knees bent, showing excellent core strength and flexibility to anchor.

Plays with an almost defensive mentality, actively searching for someone to hit and pursuing blocks several yards downfield. Had a couple of plays on tape in which he blocked three different defenders in the rivalry game against Michigan... - Rob Rang 12/16/2017

WEAKNESSES
                    Sometimes looks to do too much, switching off to hit a secondary target before finishing the first. Comes in hard and low when blocking at the second level, leaving himself a bit vulnerable to swim moves. Can get anxious and off-balance in space, occasionally slipping at the point of attack by attempting to mirror and latch onto quicker defenders rather than getting simply getting a good shove in... Some errant shotgun snaps on tape (Michigan, 2017) - Rob Rang 12/16/2017

COMPARES TO: Hall of Famer Mike Webster, Steelers. Physically speaking, the 6-3, 312-pound Price might be closer to another Pittsburgh Hall of Fame center, Dermontti Dawson (6-2, 288) than the 6-1, 255 pound Webster. In terms of grit and durability, however, Price is the college version of Webster, who played in every game for 10 consecutive seasons in Pittsburgh, earning the captain role nine times.

IN OUR VIEW: The Price is right with this ultra-safe interior lineman, an All-American at left guard (2016) and center (2017), two-time team captain and a veteran of an Ohio State record 54 career starts, including the 2018 Cotton Bowl showdown with Southern Cal. Smart, powerful and athletic enough to handle any of the three interior roles, it wouldn't be surprising to see Price earn a first round selection.
                    Career Notes
                    2017 Season
                    12/17/17 - 2017 ALL-BIG TEN FIRST TEAM (COACHES): Center Billy Price, Ohio State,...Price, , repeats as a first-team honoree on both ballots. Price, who is from Austintown, Ohio, near Youngstown, has started a school-record 53 consecutive games. - Ohio State Football

12/07/17 - 2017 RIMINGTON TROPHY AWARD WINNER: The two-time first-team all-Big Ten Conference performer leads an offensive line that has powered the Buckeyes to national rankings of No. 6 in total offense, No. 5 in scoring, No. 15 rushing, No. 28 in passing, No. 1 in first downs and No. 5 in third down percentage.

Price is from Austintown, Ohio, and has already graduated with his degree in business administration with a specialization in operation's management. He was a first-team All-American in 2016 by the American Football Coaches Association and a strong candidate for additional All-America honors this year after already having been selected a mid-season All-American by the Associated Press.

He is a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award, which honors student-athletes with notable achievements in four areas of excellence: community, classroom, character and competition and he was a semifinalist for the Outland Trophy. -

11/30/17 - 2017 BIG TEN RIMINGTON-PACE OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE YEAR (COACHES/MEDIA): Billy Price, Ohio State...Billy Price, the four-year starting offensive lineman for the Buckeyes who converted to center this season after three seasons as a guard, was named today as the Big Ten Conference's Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year. Price, a two-time first-team all-Big Ten Conference performer, has been the leader of an Ohio State line that features two other first-team performers - left tackle Jamarco Jones and left guard Michael Jordan - and a third team honoree in right tackle Isaiah Prince. This group has powered the Buckeyes to national rankings of No. 4 in total offense, No. 5 in scoring and No. 13 rushing. The team is No. 1 in the Big Ten in all those categories and No. 2 in passing.
                    A first-team All-American in 2016 by the American Football Coaches Association, Price is a strong candidate for additional All-America honors this year after already having been selected a mid-season All-American by the Associated Press. He is one of the favorites for the Rimington Trophy, which goes to the nation's top center, and he is a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award, which honors student-athletes with notable achievements in four areas of excellence: community, classroom, character and competition. He was also a semifinalist for the Outland Trophy. The two-time team captain has set the Ohio State school record with 53 consecutive starts. He is the third consecutive Buckeye to win the Big Ten's offensive lineman of the year award, after Taylor Decker in 2015 and Pat Elflein last year. - Ohio State Football
                    2016 Season
                    In his third year as a starter at offensive guard ... AFCA First Team All-America and Second Team by the Associated Press, Walter Camp, The Sporting News, Sports Illustrated and Fox Sports ... First Team All-Big Ten by the coaches and the media ... helped Ohio State set a school record with 776 yards of total offense in the win over Bowling Green ... part of an offensive line that has helped Ohio State lead the Big Ten in total offense.
                    2015 Season
                    2014 Season
                    After a red-shirt season in 2013, Price stepped into the starting lineup at one of the guard positions and proceeded to start all 15 games at guard for the College Football Playoff national champions ... and this was after spending much of the 2014 spring season practicing at center ... Price started the first three games of the season at right guard and then moved to left guard, where started the final 12 games ... his play improved considerably as he gained experience and as the season wore on, and he was credited with making key blocks for critical touchdowns in crucial games: by J.T. Barrett vs. Penn State and Ezekiel Elliott vs. Alabama ... Price was named a second-team freshman All-America by both Phil Steele and Athlon's ... his play helped the Buckeyes rank ninth nationally with 264.4 rushing yards per game.
                    High School
                    Personal
                    Draft Scout Player News
                    12/17/17 - 2017 ALL-BIG TEN FIRST TEAM (COACHES): Center Billy Price, Ohio State,...Price, a candidate for the Rimington Trophy as the nation's top center, repeats as a first-team honoree on both ballots. Price, who is from Austintown, Ohio, near Youngstown, has started a school-record 53 consecutive games. - Ohio State Football
                    12/07/17 - 2017 RIMINGTON TROPHY AWARD WINNER: The two-time first-team all-Big Ten Conference performer leads an offensive line that has powered the Buckeyes to national rankings of No. 6 in total offense, No. 5 in scoring, No. 15 rushing, No. 28 in passing, No. 1 in first downs and No. 5 in third down percentage. Price is from Austintown, Ohio, and has already graduated with his degree in business administration with a specialization in operation's management. He was a first-team All-American in 2016 by the American Football Coaches Association and a strong candidate for additional All-America honors this year after already having been selected a mid-season All-American by the Associated Press. He is a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award, which honors student-athletes with notable achievements in four areas of excellence: community, classroom, character and competition and he was a semifinalist for the Outland Trophy. - Ohio State Football
                    11/30/17 - 2017 BIG TEN RIMINGTON-PACE OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE YEAR (COACHES/MEDIA): Billy Price, Ohio State...Billy Price, the four-year starting offensive lineman for the Buckeyes who converted to center this season after three seasons as a guard, was named today as the Big Ten Conference's Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year. Price, a two-time first-team all-Big Ten Conference performer, has been the leader of an Ohio State line that features two other first-team performers - left tackle Jamarco Jones and left guard Michael Jordan - and a third team honoree in right tackle Isaiah Prince. This group has powered the Buckeyes to national rankings of No. 4 in total offense, No. 5 in scoring and No. 13 rushing. The team is No. 1 in the Big Ten in all those categories and No. 2 in passing.
                    A first-team All-American in 2016 by the American Football Coaches Association, Price is a strong candidate for additional All-America honors this year after already having been selected a mid-season All-American by the Associated Press. He is one of the favorites for the Rimington Trophy, which goes to the nation's top center, and he is a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award, which honors student-athletes with notable achievements in four areas of excellence: community, classroom, character and competition. He was also a semifinalist for the Outland Trophy. The two-time team captain has set the Ohio State school record with 53 consecutive starts. He is the third consecutive Buckeye to win the Big Ten's offensive lineman of the year award, after Taylor Decker in 2015 and Pat Elflein last year. - Ohio State Football
                    11/07/17 - With a start this Saturday against Michigan State, Ohio State fifth-year senior C Billy Price (6-3, 312, 5.19, #54) will notch his 51st start, breaking Luke Fickell's school consecutive start record. One NFL scout told me that Price is the "toughest dude" he's scouted in the last year 10 years because nothing gets to him, he just continues to do his job and do it well. After starting his career at guard, he moved to center as a senior and has a realistic chance to be drafted higher than former teammate Pat Elflein (70th overall in the 2017 NFL Draft), who is starting for the Minnesota Vikings as a rookie. If Ohio State plays in the Big Ten Championship Game and he stays healthy, Price will finish his career 55 straight starts. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
                    11/02/17 - C Billy Price, a senior who was named to the Associated Press midseason All-America team in October, will tie a school record held by Luke Fickell on Saturday at Iowa with his 50th consecutive start. Price is on the Rimington Award watch list that honors the best center in the country. NFL scouts project Price as a potential high-round draft pick in 2018. He already has a degree from Ohio State.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

If Baltimore loses, the Chargers move to the 17 spot.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍