X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is NFL.coms top 50. If you want a guy rated with probowl talent, you have to get a guy rated 6.5 or higher. This probably means Vea or Payne for us if we go DL.
    Player Pos Ht Wt College Pick Team Grade Watch
    BARKLEY, SAQUON* RB 5'11" 223 Penn St. 7.4
    NELSON, QUENTON* G 6'5" 329 Notre Dame 7.4
    EDMUNDS, TREMAINE* LB 6'5" 250 Virginia Tech 7.2
    CHUBB, BRADLEY DE 6'4" 275 N.C. State 7.2
    DARNOLD, SAM* QB 6'4" 220 USC 7.1
    RIDLEY, CALVIN* WR 6'1" 190 Alabama 6.8
    PAYNE, DA'RON* DT 6'2" 308 Alabama 6.6
    SMITH, ROQUAN* OLB 6'1" 225 Georgia 6.5
    VEA, VITA* DT 6'4" 344 Washington 6.5
    FITZPATRICK, MINKAH* DB 6'1" 201 Alabama 6.5
    JAMES, DERWIN S 6'3" 215 Florida St. 6.4
    GUICE, DERRIUS* RB 5'11" 212 LSU 6.4
    JONES, RONALD* RB 6'0" 200 USC 6.4
    BRYAN, TAVEN DT 6'4" 291 Florida 6.3
    EVANS, RASHAAN LB 6'3" 234 Alabama 6.2
    HARRISON, RONNIE* S 6'3" 214 Alabama 6.2
    ROSEN, JOSH* QB 6'4" 218 UCLA 6.1
    JACKSON, JOSH CB 6'1" 192 Iowa 6.1
    SETTLE, TIM DT 6'3" 335 Virginia Tech 6.1
    LANDRY, HAROLD DE 6'3" 250 Boston College 6.1
    VANDER ESCH, LEIGHTON ILB 6'4" 240 Boise St. 6.1
    WARD, DENZEL* CB 5'10" 191 Ohio St. 6.1
    BROWN, ORLANDO OT 6'8" 360 Oklahoma 6.1
    HERNANDEZ, WILL G 6'2" 348 Texas-El Paso 6.1
    WYNN, ISAIAH G 6'2" 300 Georgia 6.1
    MAYFIELD, BAKER QB 6'1" 220 Oklahoma 6.0
    DAVIS, CARLTON* CB 6'1" 203 Auburn 6.0
    JACKSON, LAMAR* QB 6'3" 200 Louisville 6.0
    GREEN, RASHEEM* DE 6'5" 280 USC 6.0
    CAIN, DEON* WR 6'1" 210 Clemson 6.0
    HURST, MAURICE DT 6'2" 282 Michigan 6.0
    DANIELS, JAMES* C 6'4" 295 Iowa 6.0
    GESICKI, MIKE TE 6'6" 252 Penn St. 5.9
    ALLEN, JOSH QB 6'5" 233 Wyoming 5.9
    WILLIAMS, CONNOR* OT 6'6" 320 Texas 5.9
    MICHEL, SONY RB 5'11" 220 Georgia 5.9
    PRICE, BILLY C 6'4" 312 Ohio St. 5.9
    OLIVER, ISAIAH* CB 6'1" 190 Colorado 5.9
    DAVENPORT, MARCUS DE 6'6" 255 Texas-San Antonio 5.8
    MCGLINCHEY, MIKE OT 6'8" 312 Notre Dame 5.8
    JOHNSON, KERRYON* RB 6'0" 212 Auburn 5.8
    HURST, HAYDEN* TE 6'5" 250 South Carolina 5.8
    LEONARD, DARIUS OLB 6'2" 213 South Carolina St. 5.8
    GOEDERT, DALLAS TE 6'5" 255 South Dakota St. 5.8
    JONES, JAMARCO OT 6'5" 310 Ohio St. 5.8
    PHILLIPS, HARRISON DT 6'4" 255 Stanford 5.8
    JACKSON, DONTE* CB 5'11" 175 LSU 5.8
    KEY, ARDEN* DE 6'6" 265 LSU 5.8
    PETTIS , DANTE WR 6'1" 192 Washington 5.8
    CARTER, LORENZO OLB 6'6" 242 Georgia 5.8

Note that you can touch a name and it will take you to his profile.
    Last edited by Formula 21; 02-16-2018, 09:37 AM.
    Making the push

Comment

• Is it just me or is seeing Hurst ranked below those other DTs kinda right? He is a good player, but I think those other guys will be better pros. Minority opinion I guess, but if we pick him at 17 I will be holding my breath he works out.

Comment

• Originally posted by blueman View Post
        Is it just me or is seeing Hurst ranked below those other DTs kinda right? He is a good player, but I think those other guys will be better pros. Minority opinion I guess, but if we pick him at 17 I will be holding my breath he works out.
        I still think its early. Hurst should improve his rating at the combine. If he improves by .1, he's right there as a value pick at 17.
        Making the push

Comment

• blueman
          blueman commented
          Editing a comment
          I just don’t know if he’s gonna be the player people seem to think he’ll be. I kinda get the Donald comparison but...I just don’t think he’ll be that guy. Meh, I’m usually wrong.

• I don’t put too much faith in NFL.com ratings. They get pretty sketchy after 2nd round

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          They are pretty sketchy all told.

• Look for the senior bowl players who played and or practice well to be well represented in the top of the draft.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Nelson in the 1st. Hmmm. In this draft, there is still excellent D talent available later. Would not suck.

Comment

• Only 67 days 17 hours left.
            Making the push

Comment

• Chargers.com summary 3.0

In order to serve all Chargers fans, Chargers.com has compiled a list of who some top draft pundits are projecting the Bolts will select with the 17th pick in the draft.

With the annual Scouting Combine taking place next week, it’s time to take the latest look at who top pundits and expert predict the Bolts will select in the first round of the draft on Apr. 26.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper, Jr.: DT Da’Ron Payne – Alabama

What he says: “As I wrote in my Mock Draft 1.0, stopping the run has to be a priority for the Chargers in 2018. Their 4.9 yards per rushing attempt allowed ranked last in the league. Los Angeles has two young star edge rushers in Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram, but it has to improve on the interior. Payne popped in the College Football Playoff and even had an interception and touchdown catch in the semifinal win over Clemson. The 6-2, 319-pound Payne had only three career sacks, but he consistently beat his man, even if it didn't show up on the stat sheet.”

NFL.com’s Charles Davis: S Derwin James – Florida State

What he says: “James is a big hitter, but he has plenty of range in coverage, as well. He might not be exactly like former Charger Eric Weddle, but he could provide a similar impact...”

NFL.com’s Chad Reuter: OT Orlando Brown – Oklahoma

What he says: “Whether Brown plays at left or right tackle doesn't matter. He'll eclipse his opponent with pure size and play with a nasty streak.”

MMQB’s Albert Breer: OT Mike McGlinchey – Notre Dame

What he says: “Protecting an aging Philip Rivers is paramount, and Russell Okung is 30. That makes McGlinchey a good candidate to come in as a right tackle/eventual successor at left tackle.”

CBSSports.com’s Pete Prisco: DT Da’Ron Payne – Alabama

What he says: “They need to get stouter up front inside and Payne could do that. He would be a nice fit in Gus Bradley's defense.”

CBSSports.com’s Chris Trapasso: DT Da’Ron Payne – Alabama

What he says: “Payne two-gaps like he has been playing in a traditional 3-4 for a decade, and unleashed in the College Football Playoff, we saw the explosiveness of a quality interior pass-rusher. Look out, AFC West.”

CBSSports.com’s R.J. White: DT Da’Ron Payne – Alabama **TRADE UP TO 15**

What he says: “It's possible Payne will be there if the Chargers stay put, but if they settle on one of the top two defensive tackles (Vita Vea being the other) and decide they can't miss out, why not pay a small price to climb a couple spots and lock him in? Arizona is missing two Day 3 picks already, and in this scenario, they're the likely team to have signed Cousins with the Broncos and Jets drafting QBs earlier, so they should be a good trade partner for teams to call if a desired prospect slips a bit during the first round.”

Pro Football Focus’ Steve Palazzolo: OT Orlando Brown – Oklahoma

What he says: “The Chargers’ offensive line rebuild took a step in the right direction last season, but there’s still more work to do. Brown brings a physical run-blocker and capable pass-protector to Los Angeles. He finished ninth overall among the nation’s tackles at 87.9, and his 88.1 run-blocking grade ranked fourth.”

SBNation’s Draft Editor Dan Kadar: S Derwin James – Florida State

What he says: “Some teams may view James as a linebacker, and the Chargers could be one of them. With the two best defensive tackles and linebackers gone, James could be the next man up. He makes more sense to the Chargers than someone like Alabama’s Rashaan Evans because of his coverage ability.”

Sporting News’ Eric Galko: S Derwin James – Florida State

What he says: “While they’ve built a strong secondary, the Chargers adding a playmaking safety to finally replace Eric Weddle should be an objective this offseason. James was more inconsistent than expected in 2017, but his upside is fantastic for the 17th overall pick.”

NFLDraftScout.com’s Rob Rang: DT Da’Ron Payne – Alabama

What he says: “The Chargers — who ranked last in the league in 2017 by allowing 4.9 yards per carry — would likely jump at the chance to fortify the middle with the powerful (and aptly named) Payne.”

Comment

• Seems to be a consensus building

Safety....OTackle.......DTackle
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• 2018 draft picks

• Round 1: L.A. Chargers
                  • Round 2: L.A. Chargers
                  • Round 3: L.A. Chargers
                  • Round 4: L.A. Chargers
                  • Round 5: L.A. Chargers
                  • Round 6: L.A. Chargers
                  • Round 7: L.A. Chargers*, Chicago*
                  • Round 7: Comp Pick

The Chargers are picking in their original slot in each of the first six rounds heading into the offseason, but the seventh is a little tricky. They sent a conditional seventh-rounder to the Bills in exchange for Cardale Jones and may have to give up their original pick in that round. However, they landed a conditional seventh-rounder from the Bears for Dontrelle Inman, and he seems well on his way to meeting the playing-time requirements to earn the Chargers that pick.

As of today, I can find no answer if the Bolts will get a pick for Inman. Even the Chicago sites don't know.
                  Making the push

Comment

• http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byprospect

​​​​​​Predraft visits.
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Interesting we are looking at long snappers and TE...
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• I don't think the list means anything. I think they do the interviews for just about everyone, just being complete. You scout every position, even positions with no need. And I think TT is honest when he says he doesn't let need influence the scouting. If a team is drafting long enough, you need good players everywhere, so taking a good player high at a position where there isn't a need evens out in the long run.

For example, WR was the deepest spot on the team when we took Allen in the 3rd round. Then Alexander and Floyd got hurt and Allen was starting by week 3. He was not a need pick, but it came in awfully handy. Some people said we didn't need to take Henry when we did, but I think most of us realize that this past season, we would have been SOL if we had to have Gates play most of the downs.

Comment

• Pro Football Focus Offers Midround Gems the Chargers Should Target

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:40 PM PST

The vast majority of draft talk naturally revolves around a team’s first round picks.

Few know draft prospects as intimately as Pro Football Focus’ Steve Palazzolo, and he had plenty to say about who the Chargers should take 17th overall.

Right off the bat, he says the Bolts should look to add to the offensive line even though they gave up the fewest sacks in the NFL a year ago.

“I think you’ve got to still look at offensive line,” he said. “So if some of those tackles are available like Mike McGlinchey, Connor Williams or Orlando Brown, I think they are all in the mix.”

However, Palazzolo believes the Chargers are more likely to add to the defense at 17th overall.

“I think these linebackers are interesting for them. As much as the defense took great strides last year, if there is a Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds available, that’s (a no brainer). Leighton Vander Esch could also be consideration out of Boise State. Just adding a three-down linebacker to the mix I think would be extremely valuable for this team. And then also the defensive interior. I don’t know if there is a classic mid-first round guy that would be there from a value standpoint. Maybe a Vita Vea will be there, who is a 340-pound player who can push the pocket. My question is if he can rush the passer enough to justify the 17th overall pick. I think he can, but there is a little bit of risk there.”

Perhaps more interesting was the number of midround gems Palazzolo mentioned who he believes would be perfect fits for the Bolts. To that end, he rattled of a ton of sleepers Chargers fans should get to know.

“The first thing that comes to mind is with a Gus Bradley defense is someone like Damon Webb, who is a free safety from Ohio State who is a pure free safety who fits the single-high (spot) that the Chargers play. This guy has got really good movement skills and takes good angles. I hate using Earl Thomas comparisons, but he’s an Earl Thomas-type. Or a Malik Hooker-type of player, his former teammate. So he really fits the scheme.”

Bowen also thinks there is good value in the middle rounds that fit the Bolts’ needs along the defensive interior and at linebacker.

“Those defensive interior guys are there,” he said. “You have Derrick Nnadi, a defensive tackle out of Florida State who is really a sort of run-first player, but if you are just looking for those big bodies up front, I think there is plenty of value there. Linebacker-wise, there’s a guy like Stacy Thomas out of Louisville who is more a midround guy who Is a good fit for linebacker depth.”

As far as what the Bolts may have to say, GM Tom Telesco and Head Coach Anthony Lynn will address the media Thursday morning. We’ll have live coverage of their press conference beginning at 8:00am PT on Facebook, Twitter, our app and Chargers.com.
                          Making the push

Comment

• What Areas Must the Team Address?

Lynn didn’t mince words when asked what the team needs to improve over the coming months. In fact, it’s actually what you would expect:

“We have to stop the run. There’s no doubt about it. Our Achilles Heel all year was stopping the run. Some of that is coming from the linebacker play. I think we need to get better at linebacker. When we have those edge rushers – and I love my edge rushers – but the Catch 22 with edge rushers is sometimes It opens up running lanes. But I thought Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram, I thought they did a good job once we emphasized stopping the run, of playing more down the middle and playing more run technique versus pass. That’s really unselfish of those guys.”

Telesco offered a similar response, though added an extra emphasis on the linebacker position:

“We’ve got plenty of needs. There really isn’t one need bigger than the other. If you have a need, you have to fix it. And our linebacking corps was inconsistent last year, so it’s something I’m definitely looking at. I thought Denzel (Perryman) played very well when he was in there. He had some injuries that slowed him down. But Denzel’s a playmaker and a good player for us. But we need to shore up that position a little bit.”
                            Making the push

Comment

• It looks like Bosa and Ingram played more run D at the end of the year at the expense of getting sacks.

Oh yeah. Lets upgrade the LBs too.
                              Last edited by Formula 21; 03-01-2018, 02:47 PM.
                              Making the push

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                                It looks like Bosa and Ingram played more run D at the end of the year at the expense of getting sacks.

Oh yeah. Lets upgrade the LBs too.
                                Time to hop on the Tremaine Train

Comment

• Something I think deserves some consideration is that GMs may pass on a highly rated player at a certain position high in the draft because they have closely rated another prospect or several different prospects at that same position they think will be available in later rounds.

This year, one position that seems loaded with good prospects is center.

For that reason, even though I think we could be looking at drafting a center, I doubt it will be Billy Price of Ohio State in round 1 (I thought so even before his lifting injury at the combine).

I wonder if a prospect like Tim Settle probably being available in the 2nd round would cause the Chargers to pass on DTs in the first round.

Just something to think about.

Comment

• The San Francisco 49ers are victors in the offseason battle of the bay.

The 49ers won a coin flip against the Oakland Raiders on Friday to secure the ninth overall pick in April's NFL draft. In losing the coin flip, the Raiders get the 10th overall pick.

The the coin flip determines who gets first choice of the LBs. Please let one of them fall.
                                    Making the push

Comment

• Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph said he worked out with Philip Rivers in Southern California a few weeks ago and talked with the Los Angeles Chargers at the Senior Bowl.
                                      Eric D. Williams, ESPN Staff Writer

Comment

Working...
                                      X