• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

You often miss out on the best athletes outside of the top 10, but sometimes you get the better players, if that makes any sense. I think the top 10 guys tend to have more upside, but the lower ranked guys are more productive, more NFL ready. Many of them have better work ethics and have better careers because of it.

Comment

• Charged4Life
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      You often miss out on the best athletes outside of the top 10, but sometimes you get the better players, if that makes any sense. I think the top 10 guys tend to have more upside, but the lower ranked guys are more productive, more NFL ready. Many of them have better work ethics and have better careers because of it.
      Flash (Big dreams) over substance. Makes perfect sense.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

2018 NFL Draft: Los Angeles Chargers team needs, draft picks, prospects to watch

With their 2017 season over, it's time for Chargers fans to turn their attention to the draft
        ​​​​After a rough start, the Chargers' first year in Los Angeles took a turn for the better, and they found themselves tied for the division lead heading into Week 15 with a real shot and getting into the playoffs and making some noise. But after getting smoked by the Chiefs in Kansas City, they fell behind in the playoff race and ultimately saw their season end earlier than hoped. What do they need to do to take the next step? Let's dive in.

2018 draft picks
        • Round 1: L.A. Chargers
        • Round 2: L.A. Chargers
        • Round 3: L.A. Chargers
        • Round 4: L.A. Chargers
        • Round 5: L.A. Chargers
        • Round 6: L.A. Chargers
        • Round 7: L.A. Chargers*, Chicago*

The Chargers are picking in their original slot in each of the first six rounds heading into the offseason, but the seventh is a little tricky. They sent a conditional seventh-rounder to the Bills in exchange for Cardale Jones and may have to give up their original pick in that round. However, they landed a conditional seventh-rounder from the Bears for Dontrelle Inman, and he seems well on his way to meeting the playing-time requirements to earn the Chargers that pick.

Biggest offseason needs
        • Right tackle
        • Center
        • Linebacker
        • Free safety

The offense is pretty set at the skill positions, though it's time to develop a succession plan for veteran quarterback Philip Rivers. But the one spot on offense that needs attention is on the offensive line, where only left tackle Russell Okung has played well. We figure the team will stick with rookie Dan Feeney at guard, and Forrest Lamp will be back in 2018 after missing his rookie season due to injury, but that still leaves right tackle and center as problem spots.

The Chargers have most of their premium talent on defense under contract, but free safety Tre Boston is entering free agency after leading all Chargers defensive backs in snaps played through Week 15. Rookie Desmond Kingcould be shifted to the position, but he's played well at cornerback, so the Chargers would benefit by bringing Boston back or finding a similar player this offseason. Aside from a few spots on the offensive line, the linebacker unit could use the most work on this team.

Prospects to watch

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

McGlinchey had a fine final season with the Fighting Irish at left tackle. He's a tremendous run-blocker, and it may take time for him to deal with the speedy edge-rushers around the corner. By the traditional definition, that sounds like a right tackle (to begin his career) to me.

Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas

Ragnow is the best center prospect in this class, a rare mix of size, quick feet, and point-of-attack. Adding him to Los Angeles' offensive line would go a long way in continuing Melvin Gordon's maturation and keeping Philip Rivers upright.

Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia

Kiser is a stoutly-built inside linebacker who'll improve the run defense of the team that drafts him. He may have some issues getting to those outside runs, but between the tackles, he's a quick-thinking thumper who can eat and shed bigger blocks when necessary.

Siran Neal, CB/S, Jacksonville State

At 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds, Neal has safety size and played both corner and safety at Jacksonville State. He's a fast-reacting lightning bolt on the back end of a defense. He had 12 pass breakups in 12 games this season and will play in the Senior Bowl in late January. He hits like an old-school strong safety but has the speed to range from center field.
        Last edited by Bolt-O; 01-01-2018, 09:40 AM. Reason: Clean up after c/p
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

So far in mocks:

DaRon Payne DT Alabama

josh Jackson. CB. Iowa

Christian Wilkins. DT. Clemson

josh Jackson. CB. Iowa

Christian Wilkins. DT. Clemson

josh Allen QB. UCLA

Connor Williams. OT. Texas

Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Attack
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2017
            • Send PM

Watched some of the LSU-Notre Dame game to see Quenton Nelson and Mike McGlinchey, the left side of ND's O-line. Both are massive. Nelson looks great. Once he locks on to the defender, that's it; it's over. The ND QB had plenty of room and time on pass plays on the left side. I thought both O-linemen did very well, Nelson doesn't look to be the quickest, but had plenty of movement on pulls. Nelson is 6'5", 330. I'd be ok with Nelson or Price with the first round pick, or a D-lineman.

Also, watched some of the Michigan-South Carolina game to see DL Hurst on Michigan. Based on what I saw, he didn't make many impact plays. Will be watching LB Roquan Smith on GA and LB Okoronkwo on OK now, and D-lineman Christian Wilkins on Clemson vs Alabama later.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

I had no doubt that Mayfield would march right down and score his first drive. Against a very good defense. I have a lot of confidence in this kid. And i say that knowing many of you dont. I just see Brees with better mobility coming out of college. He's going to get drafted high. Do the Broncos pass on him?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                I had no doubt that Mayfield would march right down and score his first drive. Against a very good defense. I have a lot of confidence in this kid. And i say that knowing many of you dont. I just see Brees with better mobility coming out of college. He's going to get drafted high. Do the Broncos pass on him?
                The Broncos are picking fifth. I assume both Cleveland and the Giants will pick a QB, unless Cleveland likes Kizer potential. Who knows what they do. They aren't a very smart team.
                Then there is the Wyoming QB.
                I don't think Elway is a good drafter either.
                11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Attack
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2017
                  • Send PM

Roquan Smith made impact plays for GA. Really nice player, but not sure it's the top need with the 1st round pick.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

With our run defense, I'd take Smith in a heartbeat. But I bet he's gone.

I'm still saying Josh Allen.
                    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Is there anything you want more from your first rounder than the ability to make impact plays? Reguardless of position?
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                        blueman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nope.
                    • Attack
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      Is there anything you want more from your first rounder than the ability to make impact plays? Reguardless of position?
                      No. But what other impact players will there be to choose from at #17 that could be more useful? Whose spot would Roquan take over, if we keep playing so much dime?

Comment

• blueman
                        blueman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Perryman’s, when he’s in the trainer’s room?

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                        Bearded14YourPleasure commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If we had a player like Smith we wouldn’t have to be in dime so much. He can take Philips’ spot on the field and be much more effective at the line of scrimmage.
                    • Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Maybe Smith can play Emannuels spot. The defense needs impact players.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-01-2018, 10:02 PM.
                      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                      X