• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

I think you just put him near the line of scrimmage on early downs. Let him shoot and plug gaps. Hes so quick to get into the backfield. Part of that is his first step but the kid just has a 6th sense for what to do. Big football IQ. Big hitter. Big tackler. If we struggle with tackling this guy comes polished in that regard. I think he could probably do what Attaochu couldn't. Stay healthy. Set an edge. Get in the backfield and be disruptive as a run stopper and pass rusher. I thought we sort of slowed down the last few games of the season from a rush standpoint.

Comment

• charger1993
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

I say we draft someghing like this
      1. Christian wilkins dt clemson. "soldifies our d line with bosa and ingram, no doubt he'll help pull blockers off of both of them"
      2. Deshon elliot or ronnie harrison "while there is hype around harrison most have him as a late first early 2nd round guy, hes been over shadowed by fintzpatrick all season, Deshon has a great field of play, good ball tracking he just lacks elite speed, he would be a ss in the nfl, i have seen alot of people say hes eric berry without the elite athleticism"
      3.isiah wynn g/c/t Uga " this kid is only 6 ft 2 which is why he'll fall, but he shows great bend, wuick feet and active hands. I wouldnt hesitate to put him at center"
      4.reshad penny/kerryon johnson " this has to be a running back round, id even be ok with nick chubb, or bo"
      5. Connor willams ot texas " i know what youre thinking no way he falls this far, from what ive read alot of scouts are not pleased with his strength, saying he'll have to get stronger to be effective, he currently has a 5th round grade on him by alot of afc scouts.
      6. Bpa lb. would love dorian odaniel " dorian all season was tasked with covering wrs in man coverage and even zone he did both exceptional well and will plug right into this gus bradley defense"
      7. Bpa k
      If we draft like this we would solve our lack of strength in the trenches, get a safety that wont get beat on double moves, and a running back who could spell gordon

Comment

• bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post
        I say we draft someghing like this
        1. Christian wilkins dt clemson. "soldifies our d line with bosa and ingram, no doubt he'll help pull blockers off of both of them"
        2. Deshon elliot or ronnie harrison "while there is hype around harrison most have him as a late first early 2nd round guy, hes been over shadowed by fintzpatrick all season, Deshon has a great field of play, good ball tracking he just lacks elite speed, he would be a ss in the nfl, i have seen alot of people say hes eric berry without the elite athleticism"
        3.isiah wynn g/c/t Uga " this kid is only 6 ft 2 which is why he'll fall, but he shows great bend, wuick feet and active hands. I wouldnt hesitate to put him at center"
        4.reshad penny/kerryon johnson " this has to be a running back round, id even be ok with nick chubb, or bo"
        5. Connor willams ot texas " i know what youre thinking no way he falls this far, from what ive read alot of scouts are not pleased with his strength, saying he'll have to get stronger to be effective, he currently has a 5th round grade on him by alot of afc scouts.
        6. Bpa lb. would love dorian odaniel " dorian all season was tasked with covering wrs in man coverage and even zone he did both exceptional well and will plug right into this gus bradley defense"
        7. Bpa k
        If we draft like this we would solve our lack of strength in the trenches, get a safety that wont get beat on double moves, and a running back who could spell gordon
        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          I think you just put him near the line of scrimmage on early downs. Let him shoot and plug gaps. Hes so quick to get into the backfield. Part of that is his first step but the kid just has a 6th sense for what to do. Big football IQ. Big hitter. Big tackler. If we struggle with tackling this guy comes polished in that regard. I think he could probably do what Attaochu couldn't. Stay healthy. Set an edge. Get in the backfield and be disruptive as a run stopper and pass rusher. I thought we sort of slowed down the last few games of the season from a rush standpoint.
          Mataafa is a guy to keep your eyes on in the all star games in in the senior bowl. Super productive, but is not going be be able to play DL at the next level. So, you have to make a plan of how you want to use him, and he probably isn't going to fit a traditional position very well. He's unique. You just can't let that scare you. He might be able to move to LB, or even play on O, but

If nothing else, a passing down situational rusher/LB type of guy. He can probably learn to play Leo as his base D position, but then you use him as a situational pass rusher who gets moved around, stacked inside to stunt and blitz in the pass rush line. Maybe he can learn to shed blocks well enough to play LB in short yardage situations too.

Washington just stunts the hell out of him, and he doesn't use his hands to take on blocks well. But he reads blocks and does a great job of timing his rush to avoid blocks and has the speed and quickness to make plays.
          Washington State, Cutups, Hercules Mata'afa, Hercules, hercules Mata'afa Highlights

NFL Draft, College Football, DraftBreakdown, Hercules Mata'afa

Mataafa has the production that you wish Chistian Wilkins has. Wilkins has the size and build that you wish Mataafa had.

Comment

• charger1993
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Thats true he is coming off an injury, but from what i read it says hes overhyped and needs to get stronger. So if we get him in the 5th, we could have an oline thats pretty young. Okung,lamp,wynn,feeney,willams. Id be happy with that especially if it pans out lol

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post

Thats true he is coming off an injury, but from what i read it says hes overhyped and needs to get stronger. So if we get him in the 5th, we could have an oline thats pretty young. Okung,lamp,wynn,feeney,willams. Id be happy with that especially if it pans out lol
              Yeah I would love to get Williams in the fourth or fifth....I guarantee once the coaches and trainers get ahold of him he will get stronger
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• charger1993
                charger1993 commented
                Editing a comment
                The main question concerning williams is how much stronger can he get without losing his quickness
            • Attack
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2017
              • Send PM

Da'Ron Payne is looking really good for Bama on the D-line. He's playing all 3 downs too.

Comment

• Rugger05
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

If you are watching this game you need to watch the coaches film room with the coaches on ESPN news

Comment

• Screeme
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I'm sold on Blankenship.. Clutch kicks.. awesome glasses. When is too soon to take him? 4th?

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

What we learned from scouting National Championship Game

Daniel Jeremiah

3. I received a few text messages during the game from NFL scouts saying Alabama WR Calvin Ridley is going to be much better in the pros than he is in college.

I agree with them.

Alabama struggled to get him going early, but he made two huge catches down the stretch against Georgia, one for a TD and one to put the Crimson Tide in range for a potential game-winning field goal, although they were unable to convert on that opportunity.

Ridley might have been the most talented player on the field Monday night.

4. I wished Georgia could have kept RB Sony Michel going because he had the hot hand early. He showed off his agility with a long run in the first half against Alabama.

I like Michel a little bit better than Bulldogs RB Nick Chubb as a prospect. Michel can get to the edge a little bit better, and tonight reinforced that against a fast defense. Michel was able to get outside. Chubb's more of a banger inside.

5. Alabama DT Da'Ron Payne has made the most of his platform these last couple weeks. Payne dominated at the point of attack, resetting the line of scrimmage. He was very active. I think he's a better player than former Alabama DTs A'Shawn Robinson and Jarran Reed were coming out of college.

The other Alabama defender I had my eye on Monday -- Alabama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, who was dealing with a kidney injury. He's one of the top talents in the college game, but he was not a big factor in the game.

On the other side of the field, Roquan Smith flashed once again on Monday night. He's a perfect player for today's NFL. I love his instincts and speed. He makes plays sideline to sideline. He can run and cover.

He's helped himself this postseason. I was very impressed with him last week against Oklahoma and he carried that momentum over to the title game.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
                        richpjr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Watched the game last week and last night - that guy was all over the field making play after play.

• blueman
                        blueman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Every-down player, or close to it? Who the heck would you sub in for him?
                    • Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

PFF

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

Best fits: Los Angeles Chargers, Oakland Raiders, Cincinnati Bengals
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                      X