• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Sounds like Cardale Jones. He's not going in the 1st if he can't get more accurate.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
      Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

Really like that cluster. I feel confident that only Edmunds or Payne will be there at 17, though, at this point.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

If he posts a 40" vertical, he's my top choice.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
          chargerkdb commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s possible because he’s a freak but I will believe it when I see it
      • Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I'm not sure what they mean by accurate.

ALL the QB have accuracy problems. Most of the spread guys are 10%+ better in terms of their completion percentage, but they throw tons of dinks and dunks, and a ton of the bubble screens. It will also be interesting to see them under pressure, since they don't move their feet very well and it gets them out of throwing position.

At practice, it is easy to look good because they are not getting hit. They won't get bothered by the rush in the game either, since the rushers will be mixing in and out, and they don't get to really dial up blitzes. Plus, they don't get enough plays to get knocked around and lose their mechanics.

Allen needs to work do better with his footwork to throw more accurately. His footwork is sloppy, and the rest of his body is out of position when his feet are ready to throw. The ball doesn't go exactly where he wants it. Again, I think that is mostly true of all the QB in this draft. Footwork is something that can and is taught. It just takes time.

The issue the NFL has always had is you draft a QB high, the pressure is to play them immediately, and they haven't developed their mechanics to consistently throw the ball where they want to. Wentz had pretty solid mechanc

Darnold and Rosen are not as bad and Darnold can be downright great when he gets dialed in. Unfortunately, he isn't playing in these all star games, so we don't get to watch him anymore.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

The latest UT mock. The linebackers are flying up the boards. We have some nice choices at 17 though, either Vita Vea, Derwin James or Maurice Hurst.

I'd be pretty happy with this draft though.

NFL Mock Draft 2018: Two-round projections

Looking forward to the NFL Draft? Here's a breakdown of the top available prospects.

Eddie BrownContact Reporter

The NFL Draft has become a nice appetizer before our main course in September. A mock version of said draft is meant to educate, and even entertain. At very least, it helps you pass the time.
          What follows is an early attempt at figuring out the best players available in this season's draft class, and which teams they'd match up well with considering the current draft order according to NFL.com.
          Here's an updated version of my 2018 NFL Mock Draft, now through two rounds: 
          FIRST ROUND
          1. Cleveland (0-16) Top needs: QB, Edge, CB
          Top needs: OT, QB, LB

The Colts need a significant upgrade to their pass rush as they finished with the second-fewest in the NFL (25) last season. Beyond a variety of moves off the edge, the Nagurski award winner (top defender) has proven capable of impacting games through his run defense and also on special teams (blocking kicks). Top needs: OT, OG, Edge
          4. Cleveland from Houston (4-12)Top needs: QB, Edge, CB

I feel like John Elway will answer his immediate quarterback issues during free agency or with a trade. Barkley is a generational talent at running back and the most dynamic player in this draft. Top needs: QB, OT, FS
          Top needs: QB, Edge, OT
          Top needs: S, RT, Edge
          Top needs: WR, ILB, CB
          Top needs: WR, Edge, CB
          Top needs: DT, Edge, CB

The Buckeyes have produced four first-rounders at cornerback the past four years. Ward is likely to make it five-for-five. Top needs: OG, CB, FS
          Top needs: OG, OT, SS

This could be a quarterback if Kirk Cousins signs elsewhere this offseason. Otherwise, the Redskins failed miserably last offseason in replacing DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon. The comparisons to Odell Beckham Jr. are apt. Kirk is an all-around pass-catcher known for his route-running and punt-return ability. Top needs: ILB, WR, C
          Top needs: Edge, OL, TE
          Top needs: QB, OT, C
          Top needs: WR, OG, Edge

The Chargers had the second-worst run defense in the NFL this season. Vea is the anchor in the middle this defense has lacked since the days of Jamal Williams. The 6-foot-5, 340-pound Pac-12 defensive player of the year might be the strongest prospect in the entire draft class and would have likely been a first-round selection had he left school a year ago. Top needs: OT, ILB, QB
          Top needs: Edge, RB, OL
          Top needs: DT, WR, TE
          Top needs: Edge, RB, DT

Phillips would be a fine replacement for Marcell Dareus. Top needs: DT, OL, Edge
          22. Buffalo from Kansas City (10-6)Top needs: DT, OL, Edge

If Trumaine Johnson leaves in free agency, a player like McFadden would be a solid replacement. He has prototypical size, elite speed and the ball skills to develop into a shutdown corner in the NFL. Top needs: CB, Edge, OG
          Top needs: Edge, FS, CB
          Top needs: Edge, SS, OG
          Top needs: OG, DL, S
          Top needs: OG, WR, LB

Evans is a super athlete and versatile player who would provide good insurance just in case Ryan Shazier never returns to form. Top needs: ILB, OT, FS
          Top needs: QB, OG, TE
          Top needs: OG, QB, DL
          Top needs: ILB, OT, DB
          Top needs: CB, Edge, QB
          SECOND ROUND
          33. Cleveland (0-16)
          34. N.Y. Giants (3-13)
          35. Cleveland from Houston (4-12)
          36. Indianapolis (4-12)
          37. N.Y. Jets (5-11)
          38. Tampa Bay (5-11)
          39. Chicago (5-11)
          40. Denver (5-11)
          41. Oakland (6-10)
          42. Miami (6-10)
          43. New England from San Francisco (6-10)
          44. Washington (7-9)
          45. Green Bay (7-9)

46. Cincinnati (7-9)
          47. Arizona (8-8)
          48. L.A. Chargers (9-7)
          The co-Big 12 defensive player of the year was also named first-team All-Big 12, second-team All-American and a semifinalist for the 2017 Butkus Award recognizing the nation's best linebacker. Top needs: OT, ILB, QB
          49. N.Y. Jets from Seattle (9-7)
          50. Dallas (9-7)
          51. Detroit (9-7)
          52. Baltimore (9-7)
          53. Buffalo (9-7)
          54. Kansas City (10-6) Top needs: DB, WR, OL
          55. Carolina (11-5)
          56. Buffalo from L.A. Rams (11-5)
          57. Tennessee (9-7)
          58. Atlanta (10-6)
          59. San Francisco from New Orleans (11-5)
          60. Minnesota (13-3)
          61. Jacksonville (10-6)
          62. Pittsburgh (13-3)
          63. Cleveland from Philadelphia (13-3)
          64. New England (13-3)

Last edited by Formula 21; 01-24-2018, 09:09 PM.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
            blueman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, me too.

• bonehead
            bonehead commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL......so I guess Eddie figured out Chargers and Saints aren’t gonna burn a first rounder on a QB
        • Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Eric Edholm's Senior Bowl Day 2 notebook: Wyoming's Allen erratic again

Allen flashes big arm, but inconsistent again; plus other observations from Wednesday's practices

Follow @Eric_Edholm
          By ERIC EDHOLMJosh Allen through the first two days of practice at the Senior Bowl is "inconsistent."

Although Allen cut through the breezy, cold air a few times with a few throws on Wednesday with impressive velocity, he also struggled with his ball placement and touch. Allen's best work came in individual drills, when he flashed his deep-ball talent and the ability to thread NFL-type throws.
          But he also air-mailed a seam pass to Wisconsin TE Troy Fumagalli by at least a yard that was easily intercepted in 7-on-7 drills. Allen also misfired high on an out route on his very next throw and later couldn't connect with 6-foot-5 WR Jaleel Scott (New Mexico State) despite him separating on a crossing route in front of him.
          Perhaps Allen's best throw of the day was an easy flick of the wrist to deliver a strike along the sideline while being flushed out to his right toward the end of the North Team full-squad work. Another dart came on a throw to Colorado State WR Michael GallupBaker Mayfield[QUOTE] His WR coach at OSU, Kasey Dunn, was there giving pointers after practice to Washington and teammate, Marcell Ateman, who also has had a solid week. But Washington, in our view, has been the show. The South defensive backs, many of them small-school prospects, had zero chance to stopping him in the one-on-one drills and were only slightly more effective in team work.read what I wrote about West Virginia safety Kyzir WhiteIsaac Yiadom, Penn State CB Christian Campbell and Texas A&M S Armani WattsJaMarcus King. He seemed to lack confidence and appeared a bit stung after losing a string of one-on-one battles in a row. King was receiving some tutelage from Broncos defensive coordinator Joe Woods, who has coached DBs for years in the NFL, after a few of the plays and managed to make a stop on his next rep. But King largely struggled on Wednesday, with Penn State WR DaeSean Hamilton eating his lunch at least three times. Iowa State WR Allen Lazard, who has trended upward the past two days, also beat King a few times.

Daniel Carlson? He blasted a 53-yard try into a cross breeze with at least five yards to spare, maybe more. The ball made a thud that could be heard all the way up in the press box when Carlson struck it, and that kind of leg power won't go unnoticed. Los Angeles Chargers GM Tom Telesco appeared to be taking note of Carlson's activity during practice, and his team could be seeking options at kicker after letting Josh Lambo go perhaps too soon.
          Last edited by Formula 21; 01-24-2018, 10:19 PM.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

It's nice to see that there are some lower round linebackers available that can help the Bolts. And the DT class looks exceptionally deep this. I keep reading positive reviews about a lot of them. We definitely get DL this year and I hope a LB.

USC LB Uchenna Nwosu highlights prospects who fit Chargers' needs

10:21 AM PT

• Eric D. WilliamsESPN Staff Writer

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- The athleticism and energy of USC Trojans linebacker Uchenna Nwosu jumped off the screen during Senior Bowl practices this week, qualities the Los Angeles Chargers could use at the second level of their defense.
            At 6-2 and 245 pounds, Nwosu has the versatility to create pressure off the edge, hold up as an edge defender in the running game or drop into coverage. During his final year with the Trojans, Nwosu recorded 75 tackles, including 11.5 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks, and had 13 pass knock downs as one of the defensive captains at USC.

USC linebacker Uchenna Nwosu racked up 75 tackles and 9.5 sacks last season. Matthew Visinsky/Icon Sportswire Nwosu is one of several NFL prospects I watched this past week during the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, the East-West Shrine game and practices for the Senior Bowl who could make sense for the Chargers.
            Here are some other players who caught my eye.
            SENIOR BOWL
            B.J. Hill, DT, North Carolina State: At 6-3 and 321 pounds, Hill showed speed, power and quickness as an interior pass rusher during one-on-one pass rush drills, something the Chargers are looking to add to the roster during the offseason.
            Jaleel ScottPhilip Rivers likes to throw to.
            Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma: Mayfield showed the best accuracy and anticipation as a thrower of all the quarterbacks I watched during the Senior Bowl practice this week. And he measured in at just over 6-feet tall, which is good enough for me because of his movement skills.
            Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP: Road grader. At 6-2 and 340 pounds, Hernandez will be a road grader in the running game, but held up better than expected during one-on-one pass protection drills.
            Kyzir WhiteKam Chancellor or Keanu NealNFLPA COLLEGIATE BOWL
            Mathew Gano, OT, Wesley: At 6-4 and 305 pounds, Gano played both left guard and left tackle during the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl and excelled at both spots. He did a nice job of combo blocking in the running game and showed good footwork as a pass protector on the edge at left tackle.
            Antonio Guerad, DT, University of Central Florida: at 6-4 and 310 pounds, Guerad finished with 1.5 sacks and three combined tackles. Guerad flashed potential as an interior pass rusher at the next level.
            Luis Perez, QB, Texas A&M Commerce: Perez finished 8-of-10 for 69 yards in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, but had two fumbles, including one that led to a score. Despite the turnovers, at 6-3 and 220 pounds, I thought Perez played with poise, showing good throwing accuracy, touch and anticipation. Perez earned the 2017 Harlon Hill Trophy as the Division II College Football Player of the Year. The San Diego native completed over 70 percent of his passes for 4,678 passing yards and 44 touchdowns, leading Texas A&M Commerce to a Division II championship.
            Martez Carter, RB, Grambling State: Carter was the leading rusher in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, rushing for 53 yards on 10 carries, and also had three catches for 24 yards. At 5-9 and 205 pounds, Carter rushed for 906 yards and also caught 28 passes for 351 receiving yards and three scores at Grambling State. He runs low to the ground and has some juice once he gets to the second level of the defense.
            EAST-WEST SHRINE GAME
            Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa: Fountain totaled three catches for 61 yards and showed the ability to make defenders miss after the catch. Fountain also had a 30-yard punt return.
            P.J. Hall, DT, Sam Houston State: At 6-1 and 310 pounds, Hall showed some ability to push the pocket as an interior pass rusher. Hall totaled 42 career sacks at Sam Houston State.
            Phillip Lindsay, RB, Colorado: Lindsay led all rushers in the East-West Shrine game with 51 yards. Lindsay has some elusiveness, but at 5-8 and 190 pounds, size could be a concern at the next level.
            James Looney, DT, California: An undersized defensive tackle for the Bears, Looney had a tackle for loss and made a couple splash plays defensively.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Stonewall Jackson graduate Tim Settle works out with Jay Caldwell Jan. 12, 2018 at The Sport and Speed Institute in Chantilly.

David Fawcett/InsideNoVa.comMore InformationTHE DECISIONKey datesNFL.comTHE NEXT STEP

To help guide him through this next stage of his career, Settle hired Ross as his agent.

Ross, who works for Select Sports Group in Houston, but is based in Leesburg, has been in the sports business for 23 years.

A third-generation Virginia Tech graduate who wrestled for the Hokies, Ross first heard through NFL scouts after the regular season ended Settle might be considering leaving early for the NFL.
              NFL.com draft analyst

Ross reached out to Tim Sr. in late December. Tim Sr., who made it clear all agents were supposed to go through him, said he considered about 15 agents and met or talked with between five and seven but felt a connection with Ross.
              Last edited by Formula 21; 01-29-2018, 08:12 PM.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Still my guy

According to his NFL.com draft profilewrites.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                  blueman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know I know, just do not see him dropping.

• bonehead
                  bonehead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It’s early but most mocks I’ve seen have Smith going to the Raiders
              • blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

There's still one more important football game left to play this season in Minneapolis, Super Bowl 52 featuring the Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots. The other 30 teams have already spent hours in the film room scouting the 2018 draft class...

This draft has James, Smith, and Vea off the board when we pick Edmunds. Harrison, Hurst, and Jefferson all go later in the 1st round.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...pects.amp.html

This draft has James, Smith, and Vea off the board when we pick Edmunds. Harrison, Hurst, and Jefferson all go later in the 1st round.
                  That's the first time I've seen a LB mocked to the Bolts, yeah. Edmunds is a dynamite pick, maybe better than Smith. I'd love it.

The latest CBS mock doesn't have Vea or Hurst in the 1st round any more. Things are fluid.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                    blueman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It’s nice going into a QB and CB-heavy draft with no real needs there in the first round. We will get a top defender for sure. I think it’s also the first mock I’ve seen with Harrison going in the first round, to Dallas two picks after us! Gotta admit, I love the LBs but after Vea I see our top need at S, and Harrison fits so well with Bradley’s D.
                    Last edited by blueman; 01-30-2018, 06:31 PM.
                • Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  [B]
                  I wouldn't consider him much smaller. They are both huge.

I like the fact that Settle seems to get it a bit. I saw some pictures of him when he was a freshman, and he has really transformed his body. He is not a model with 6 pack abs or anything, but he is not the sloppy guy he used to be, and can probably get stronger and lose some more fat.

Both Vea and Settle can be forward moving players. Settle seems to do it a lot more, his first step seems to be forward. He has poor hand use, and could play with better leverage, but he gets that he needs to stay low and fire out, and he gets penetration and disrupts offenses. He needs to learn to use his hands better to shed blocks. He needs to stop firing out and spending the whole play crawling along on his knees. But the tools and ability is there.

Vea flashes the same sort of thing. How much do you downgrade him because of the stupid technique that Washington likes their DL to use? I hate what they do. They ask their DL to line up with their feet only slightly staggered like an OL. He can't fire off and attack the line. Then he is just asked to hold his position, shed and chase the play down. He is not asked to penetrate and create a new line of scrimmage like an NFL DL tries to do. When they let him line up in a staggered stance and attack the line, he gets low and is just as disruptive, maybe more than Settle. BUt they RARELY ask him to do that.

As far as how many snaps you can get out of them?????????????????? I don't think that you can ask any DL to be a full time player. 60-70 plays, at that size, you can't keep any explosive take off in your legs and get penetration. Sure, they can line up and play, but they won't be that effective. Interior DL are only going to be explosive for 20-30 plays a game. So, maybe 30-35 plays per game, which is half. Smaller, quicker guys can get some more, but really big 330lb guys, they get fewer. I just don't think you can expect either of them to be more than half the time kinda guys.

That being said, I think we have the guys to cover the other half the plays. Issac Rochelle, Bosa, and Ingram can all play DT in the rush line. Phillon and Palepoi can play the 3 tech position. I think we have the bodies if we can pick and choose where/when to play them. That means we need a big physical guy who can control the middle of the line to force passing situations. Add in Davis to mix into the DE rotation (and Rochelle too), I think the group can fill the spots and let everyone play hard and effectively, instead of asking a few guys to play sloppy and wear down.

All that being said, I still hope Hurst is the guy who falls to us. He is the attacking penetrating DT in this draft and I think he is such a strong run defender and pass rusher, he immediately upgrades our D. I don't see him falling to us, but if he is we should take him. If he gets anywhere near us, we should find a way to get him and get the synergy with him, Bosa and Ingram.

Comment

Working...
                  X