X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing with Mebane, he is near the end of the line even if he plays all season. And we don't have anyone behind him with the same skills.

A guy like Payne is also the type of guy who may not be an ideal fit as a 3 tech, but he could be an OK 3 tech and split time at both spots.

Vea too, but I think he is a couple years from playing a lot.

Comment

• I don’t think there’s any perfect fit DT fit for us in this draft. I’m thinking more and more of mid round options, Settle or Senat like. No DT we take is gonna play significant snaps likely, a rookie role-player either on passing downs (Settle) or run downs (Senat) would be welcome. Save the top picks for la-di-da skill players, cuz you can’t teach special.

Comment

• Originally posted by blueman View Post
        I don’t think there’s any perfect fit DT fit for us in this draft. I’m thinking more and more of mid round options, Settle or Senat like. No DT we take is gonna play significant snaps likely, a rookie role-player either on passing downs (Settle) or run downs (Senat) would be welcome. Save the top picks for la-di-da skill players, cuz you can’t teach special.
        Id be happy with nnadi in the 2nd or 3rd. Depending on the linebackers and safeties avaibke in the first

Comment

• blueman
          blueman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep on Nnadi, or Jones, NC State. Lots of options for DT help mid-draft.

• charger1993
          charger1993 commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly,if roquan falls into our laps "even tho i dont expect it" due to the medical red flags i keep reading about you have to take him. Hell we could trade back to like pick 20 and take vander esch. But if derwin is there idk i love him as a prospect.hes my number 1 option. As far as dts go, i dont want vea, im really scared about hurst heart condition mostly because we were giving no information, i dont want to draft a player who might drop dead because of a heart problem. Payne is cool but im not a huge fan.

• When is draft day?

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Editing a comment
          Great, I have my last Chemo treatment the 26th... I'll be down for day 3 for sure...

• Bolt-O
          Bolt-O commented
          Editing a comment
          I might add your name, Stinky, to the Draft Day One thread name for Mojo!

• bonehead
          bonehead commented
          Editing a comment
          Hopefully the last chemo treatment ever Stinky

• Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
        When is draft day?
        In going to completely miss the first round. Second year in a row.

Comment

• I miss the all day Saturday andnSunday drafts
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Watching Boston and Toomer on that Patterson end around for a long TD score just now reminds me of why we need better players on defense. That was just atrocious perimeter run defending. Something that has been highlighted quite a bit by our staff. I dont care if its Safety or LB just get guys on the edge who can not look so terrible with the angles they take and poor tackling. Of course those 2 guys dont get exposed if Pullard doesn't also start the play off by taking a terrible angle for a missed tackle. Too fucking easy.

Those 3 guys are simply bot very good. Not surprised we didnt bring back Toomer or Boston. Its not just the DL thats the problem. Its slow LBs with very poor read and react skills who consistently take poor angles and miss tackles.

Comment

• blueman
              blueman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah but if they just stop doing that we’ll be fine.

• Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
            When is draft day?
            Thanks Steve.

Comment

• If I remember right, and I think I do... Perryman, when he came back last season... played Will.

I think if they can draft a guy who can play the Mike, and play it for 3 downs, you do it. If you can't... you plug Perryman back into that spot.

And you could look at: Will/Safety/Payne in the first round.

I love Payne, but I do have concerns with how long it takes Big DT's to develop. I'm not talking the Aaron Donald types, I'm talking the bigger guys that play the Mebane role... and with Leguit restructuring... maybe they aren't interested in taking a DT that early?

For as much grief as Emmanuel took on here (and rightfully so, especially early), he improved A lot as the season went on... and we're not in Base 4-3 very often anyway.
              He was playing a brand new position... (He was a 4-3 DE in college, then was a 3-4 OLB for the Bolts)... I thought he played a lot better, and he's on a rookie deal still. And the team is in Base defense what? 30% of the snaps?

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• From Move the Sticks

Chargers looking for QB in Round 2: The Chargers have been doing their homework on this quarterback class and there is a lot of chatter about them potentially looking for Philip Rivers' eventual replacement. While many have pointed to the possibility of taking Louisville's Lamar Jackson in the first round, I'd keep an eye on guys like Washington State's Luke Falk, Oklahoma State's Mason Rudolph and Richmond's Kyle Lauletta in the second round.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                  WindsorUK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That would just about be right- we need help on the DL, at LB, and S, so taking a project QB, someone who won't play AT ALL, and have zero impact(just like Mike Williams from a year ago)would be true to TT' s MO.
                  Go D-early and often!

• chargerkdb
                  chargerkdb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don’t forget Lamp. No production from round 1 or 2.

• Panamamike
                  Panamamike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Since the chatter is never correct with TT and his picks, it is safe to say that QB will NOT be selected in the second round. Book it.

• Man, with Luiget restructuring and McCain’’s offer rescinded, gotta have two LBs early in this draft, could see the first four picks go with DT and safety as well. That USC ‘backer can get at the passer, good second round pick, or Griffin.

Comment

• Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                  If I remember right, and I think I do... Perryman, when he came back last season... played Will.

I think if they can draft a guy who can play the Mike, and play it for 3 downs, you do it. If you can't... you plug Perryman back into that spot.

And you could look at: Will/Safety/Payne in the first round.

I love Payne, but I do have concerns with how long it takes Big DT's to develop. I'm not talking the Aaron Donald types, I'm talking the bigger guys that play the Mebane role... and with Leguit restructuring... maybe they aren't interested in taking a DT that early?

For as much grief as Emmanuel took on here (and rightfully so, especially early), he improved A lot as the season went on... and we're not in Base 4-3 very often anyway.
                  He was playing a brand new position... (He was a 4-3 DE in college, then was a 3-4 OLB for the Bolts)... I thought he played a lot better, and he's on a rookie deal still. And the team is in Base defense what? 30% of the snaps?
                  Add in it that some of the teams who have played this scheme in the past have moved the traditional guys around. Gary Plummer was the Will LB for the 49ers when they started Ken Norton and Lee Woodall played a wide 9 flex LB. Norton was about 235 lbs and Plummer about 250 lbs. But Plummer was asked to just plug and fill and they got him off the field pretty quick. Norton was the run and hit slot, and played in all the situations.

The attractive part of Payne is that he is pretty far along with his play. He plays low and uses his hands. He is probably the most pro-ready NFL DT this season, with Hurst being 2nd. Vea is very, very far behind, although he is the sort of top-notch athlete that gets scouts to drool.

I agree on Emmanuel. If we find a OTTO LB who can really rush the QB, draft them, but mostly to add depth at Leo rush types. Emmanuel is a solid depth guy since he can play inside and outside LB, and he does a good job of maintaining leverage on the outside. He isn't a great player, but looking at the current FA, the only other guy who is close is Shea McClellin, and I am not sure he has actually played OLB (he played ILB for NE). Finding another OLB would be nice, but it is not a really high priority. Adding depth would be good too.

Comment

• The latest mock on the NFL site has us taking Deerwin James:

This would be a dream pick for the Chargers. James is a top-10 talent in this draft and a perfect scheme fit.

Comment

• Pick 17 the best defensive player available DT or LB, or Safety, 2nd round defense again.

Comment

• Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        The latest mock on the NFL site has us taking Deerwin James:

This would be a dream pick for the Chargers. James is a top-10 talent in this draft and a perfect scheme fit.
                        Im telling ya, ima cry if we draft him. Ill be so happy

Comment

• The PFF Live 7 round Mock. Only two rounds so far, but this is a shocker. These are the 4 players I'm most interested in. And boy do they love Hurst. And I have to say, they were right about Bosa when they raved over him.

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston)

Derwin James, S, Florida State

Some debate was had in Berea as offers to trade back were considered versus taking either Michigan DT Maurice Hurst or James. In the end, James and the positional value won out in the end. Despite all the moves the Browns have already made this offseason to improve the secondary, more work is still needed to improve a defense that ranked in the bottom of the NFL in numerous categories. Add James to the unit and he’s someone that can be moved all over, as he has the athleticism, size and skills to cover quick slot receivers as well as big tight ends, defend against the run on the edge or from an off-ball linebacker position and rush the passer from any position. Think drafting James is giving up on last year’s first round selection in Jabrill Peppers? Far from it. Load up the secondary with elite talent as defending the pass is a must in today’s NFL. – John Kosko, @PFF_JohnKosko

9. TRADE: Los Angeles Chargers (from San Francisco)

Maurice Hurst, DI, Michigan

[Trade details: San Francisco sends their Round 1 pick (No. 9 overall) in exchange for Los Angeles’ Round 1 pick (No. 17 overall) and Round 2 pick (No. 48 overall).]

Trading up is normally not something I’d try to accomplish, but Hurst’s fall from the top of the board was too much to ignore. He’s seemingly the most consistently dominant interior defender we’ve ever graded at the college level, so it was worth swallowing the loss of a second-round pick to grab him. While Hurst should be solid against the run when called upon, the potential of a Bosa, Hurst, Liuget, Ingram nickel defensive line in front of their talented secondary gives the Chargers a massive advantage in pass defense, the most important phase of defense. Hurst finished with the third-highest pass-rushing productivity among draft-eligible interior defenders. Moving up might not be something the Chargers have to do on actual draft day if they want to secure the services of Hurst. – Alejandro Chavez, @HondoCz

10. Oakland Raiders

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

Falling victim to the Chargers’ trade (see above), the Raiders lose out on their top target in Hurst, forcing Oakland to pivot to the next best player available in Smith. Slotted as the seventh-best player on PFF’s big board, head coach Jon Gruden & Co. address a key position of need at great value in selecting Smith at No. 10 overall. Stepping in for veteran NaVorro Bowman, Smith is potentially a Week 1 starter at inside linebacker in new defensive coordinator Paul Guenther’s 4-3 scheme, adding marquee coverage ability and stout run defense to an Oakland team that has dearly missed such qualities at linebacker in recent years. – Austin Gayle, @AustinGayle_PFF

20. Detroit Lions

Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

Matt Patricia has gone on the record saying he wants his new defense to be multiple and with significant needs at both edge rusher and coverage linebacker, possibly no player in this draft better fits the “versatility” moniker than Edmunds. He posted six sacks in each of his last two seasons at Virginia Tech despite a primarily off-the-ball role and last year he posted a coverage grade of 81.0 while also owning the ninth-best run-stop percentage (12.5) among all FBS linebackers. At 6-foot-5, 250 pounds and still just 19 years old, the sky is the limit for Edmunds. – Josh Liskiewitz, @PFF_Josh
                          Last edited by Formula 21; 04-17-2018, 03:35 PM.
                          Making the push

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                            The PFF Live 7 round Mock. Only two rounds so far, but this is a shocker. These are the 4 players I'm most interested in. And boy do they love Hurst. And I have to say, they were right about Bosa when they raved over him.

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston)

Derwin James, S, Florida State

Some debate was had in Berea as offers to trade back were considered versus taking either Michigan DT Maurice Hurst or James. In the end, James and the positional value won out in the end. Despite all the moves the Browns have already made this offseason to improve the secondary, more work is still needed to improve a defense that ranked in the bottom of the NFL in numerous categories. Add James to the unit and he’s someone that can be moved all over, as he has the athleticism, size and skills to cover quick slot receivers as well as big tight ends, defend against the run on the edge or from an off-ball linebacker position and rush the passer from any position. Think drafting James is giving up on last year’s first round selection in Jabrill Peppers? Far from it. Load up the secondary with elite talent as defending the pass is a must in today’s NFL. – John Kosko, @PFF_JohnKosko

9. TRADE: Los Angeles Chargers (from San Francisco)

Maurice Hurst, DI, Michigan

[Trade details: San Francisco sends their Round 1 pick (No. 9 overall) in exchange for Los Angeles’ Round 1 pick (No. 17 overall) and Round 2 pick (No. 48 overall).]

Trading up is normally not something I’d try to accomplish, but Hurst’s fall from the top of the board was too much to ignore. He’s seemingly the most consistently dominant interior defender we’ve ever graded at the college level, so it was worth swallowing the loss of a second-round pick to grab him. While Hurst should be solid against the run when called upon, the potential of a Bosa, Hurst, Liuget, Ingram nickel defensive line in front of their talented secondary gives the Chargers a massive advantage in pass defense, the most important phase of defense. Hurst finished with the third-highest pass-rushing productivity among draft-eligible interior defenders. Moving up might not be something the Chargers have to do on actual draft day if they want to secure the services of Hurst. – Alejandro Chavez, @HondoCz

10. Oakland Raiders

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

Falling victim to the Chargers’ trade (see above), the Raiders lose out on their top target in Hurst, forcing Oakland to pivot to the next best player available in Smith. Slotted as the seventh-best player on PFF’s big board, head coach Jon Gruden & Co. address a key position of need at great value in selecting Smith at No. 10 overall. Stepping in for veteran NaVorro Bowman, Smith is potentially a Week 1 starter at inside linebacker in new defensive coordinator Paul Guenther’s 4-3 scheme, adding marquee coverage ability and stout run defense to an Oakland team that has dearly missed such qualities at linebacker in recent years. – Austin Gayle, @AustinGayle_PFF

20. Detroit Lions

Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

Matt Patricia has gone on the record saying he wants his new defense to be multiple and with significant needs at both edge rusher and coverage linebacker, possibly no player in this draft better fits the “versatility” moniker than Edmunds. He posted six sacks in each of his last two seasons at Virginia Tech despite a primarily off-the-ball role and last year he posted a coverage grade of 81.0 while also owning the ninth-best run-stop percentage (12.5) among all FBS linebackers. At 6-foot-5, 250 pounds and still just 19 years old, the sky is the limit for Edmunds. – Josh Liskiewitz, @PFF_Josh
                            HURST is their highest rated DT since they have been grading.

Comment

• I wouldn’t be happy if we gave up a 2nd to get a DT.
                              Making the push

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                                I wouldn’t be happy if we gave up a 2nd to get a DT.
                                I don’t see that happening either.

Comment

• I would punch myself in the nuts if this happened..................

Comment

Working...
                                  X