Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

I Love be your passion Steve.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    So you want to use a 1st round pick on a player who is going to be on the field for something like 375 snaps? They are going to get something like 65 tackles, and probably 1 sack and maybe 1 int. That's a good use of a 1st round pick. After we ditch Perryman, because a 1st round LB would be the only one worth paying, would get up to a couple 2-5 sacks, maybe 3-4 int and 1 or 2 fumble recovery. Or we can get 80-90% of that production with a later round pick, or a street FA LB who is a June 1st cut. The difference between a top LB and the average one is pretty small. Spending a top pick and ton of money for an ILB is simply not worth it.

The guy who is the new DC for the Giants plays his base D the most of any NFL Team. 65% of the time they play their nickel and dime packages (over the last 3 years, http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-bill-barnwell). You can be stupid about it all you want, but LB are role players. Even the 1 guy

Again, your the one saying we don't need to draft new ones. Good LB get taken in the middle and later rounds all the time. I am saying that it is a waste to draft a high pick to sit them on the bench. Spending top picks on LB. The only way making a top pick at LB is if we plan to get rid of Perryman, who is our only decent LB. It's just not worth the investment to spend a top pick on a player who sits on the bench. a 1st or 2nd round pick to be a ST star?

DT is the biggest need on D. Nothing more than average production despite the attention teams have to play at DE. Liuget hasn't been productive in years. Mebane is fading fast. We NEED a DT. Not necessarily in round one, but we need help at DT. Even another DE makes sense since both Bosa and Ingram can spend some time inside on rush downs. A 1st round pick to allow more of a rotation, and let Bosa and Ingram be fresher will improve their production, and upgrades the inside rush. 3 guys getting snaps at just 2 positions means about 650 snaps each, and if they slide inside, then that is, even more, snaps each. DE is not a position I would rule out, although the top DE rarely last until 17.

And there is plenty of room to improve at S. How many people think that Phillips or Addae are anything more than average? They both had career years and proved how well the dime package works against the run and pass. The dime package is 20 yards per game less rushing than the nickel. Add better players there and it gets even better. BUt the differential between the better S and the average guys is a lot higher. More splash plays.

If I was going to draft a LB, it would be a OTTO LB, who is not going to play that many snaps at OLB, but would be used mostly as another edge rusher. Another LEO rush LB to sub with Ingram and Bosa (and McCain) are just another way to rotate the rushers. But if we draft him, he isn't going to play LB, he would be a pass rusher 1st, a "starting" (what a fucking joke that term is) LB.

NFL teams are playing more and more DB more of the time. drafting a guy like Griffin or James at S mean that our dime package can be on the field even more, not less. That is where we get the best bang for the buck. Half the teams in the NFL have a big S who plays the LB spot, just like Phillips did, who played the spot pretty well last year. You can call them S if you want, or you can call them LB, but Phillips is our best LB, and he should be upgraded with another player like him (or Addae).

The other thing is trying to upgrade RT, OG (and play Lamp at RT) or even TE. Trade down and add a pick or so in the late 2nd (or next year) or 3rd, and add depth at a position we can use.

People can say that they know who will be available in the 1st are kidding themselves. Mock drafts are poor indicators of actual draft selections. Historically, the best mock draft guy gets less than 50% of the picks right, and the 1st round if comparatively easy. With so much uncertainty about Baker Mayfield and Jackson, plus the RB's (thinking Guice)
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
      blueman commented
      Editing a comment
      I do too. I just think we need a top LB.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
      Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
      • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

The DT we already have are just not producing. I would give a rookie 1st round DT as many snaps as he can handle. It clearly would depend on how well a new DT adapts to the NFL.

If they adapt really well, they could get between 1/3 and 2/3 of our snaps. I don't like the idea of any DL getting more than about 2/3, even the Bosa and Ingrams. As a rule of thumb, I think the production starts to drop if you play more than that. If you want a player to control the line, they need to explode off the snap, and you can't do that if your legs turn to rubber, which is what happens if you play too many snaps.

Again, Hurst is the guy who fits the bill the best. Great leverage, power, and quickness. Not as quick and explosive at the snap as Aaron Donald, but a similar sort of upfield, penetrating DT. Stands in better against the run though, even if he gets a big body on him.

I like Payne too. He can play some 3 tech, and can get some penetration from either DT spot. NT is probably his more natural spot, but he has the skills to excel at either. I think his technique is better than Vea, and maybe a bit better than Hurst. Technique players tend to play more from the beginning (see Joey Bosa). He has the size and power to play a well-rounded game and do it for a long time. He can beat players with quickness, technique or just power. And he is fairly young too.

Vea is just a guy I have a hard time warming up to. He is getting a lot of comparisons to Ngata, but while they are similar in build and measurables, Ngata was a much better player and had better technique as a college player than Vea. Vea just has all the upside, and you can see it when he is allowed to one gap. He just doesn't get to one gap all that often. Most of Vea's college production just doesn't translate to the NFL. He will have to develop a lot, so you have to ask how much of a development prospect do you want at #17 because Vea is a big project. I don't see him being all that productive as a rookie.

Again, getting back to the LB thing, people are getting hung up on labels. I am not saying the LB position doesn't need to be more productive, just if we spend a pick, take an S sized body who can run and cover to play there. Don't get hung up with looking for a guy called an OLB who is 6'3" and weighs 240-250 lbs. That sort of player is becoming limited in the NFL now.

Using the salary cap as a parallel, every season (more or less) there are a bunch of regular LB who get big deals. And then a couple of years into the deal, the vast majority of them are cap casualties, usually the June 1st variety (spreads the damage out). Not completely unproductive players, just not meeting expectations. And then some team which needs some late help in the ticket sales picks them up with a big signing bonus and overpays, and they are right back where they started. But if LB is such an impact position (which is what 1st and 2nd-day picks are supposed to be) do so many NFL teams go through this dance?

I'm not saying don't draft a LB, just keep it in proportion to the impact level. a middle or late round pick is a much more appropriate level to draft LB. Besides, the middle round guys come in and excel as often as the 1st round picks at LB. Not the pass rushing variety (which we wouldn't use in that role anyway).

Comment

• blueman
          blueman commented
          Editing a comment
          We have a bunch of those type LBs now, how about we upgrade?
      • chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I like Hurst and Payne. Vea needs to learn how to use his legs when he tackles. He just wraps and uses his upper body to try and suplex everyone. That will have a short shelf life at next level.

I think the Bolts are looking at Linebacker. I think the little Roquan types wont be effective without better DT play

I think the reason the 6"4 250 type LB's are becoming scarce os because for the most part they are a liability in coverage. There are a few guys this year that look the part though.

There are very few true 3 down backers but its chicken or egg scenario. Its a small pool of guys that can do it, are teams scheming away from it that is narrowing the pool or is a shallow pool forcing teams to scheme. There are a few guys this year that will test it. Some coaching staff and front office willl bite and some will stay away.
        Last edited by chargerkdb; 03-28-2018, 04:20 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Payne for me. Agree with Steve, Vea is a project (who will never develop IMO).

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Hurst has been a crush for a while. So if its DT id prefer him and then Payne. I really like the 4 LBs. Evans may be the best fit. Really like him the more i watch him play. Crazy motor on that kid.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

When Anthony Lynn sat down at the annual coaches’ breakfast during the NFL meetings a year ago in Phoenix, his plate was completely full — and it stayed that way.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Looks like TT has emphasized the OL and D Front 7 in his drafts.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                    chargerkdb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hmmm no Tackles.

• Fleet
                    Fleet commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tevi and Fluker.
                • blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

A month to go:

1st Payne - best combo run stuffer/pocket crusher DT in the draft.

2nd Nwosa - I see write-ups that he translates to edge, but he plays the middle like a tank on rockets, if we pass on Evans in the first then this guy is a lock for our second pick.

3rd Griffin - gotta get a tweener for Steve, how about the fastest guy in the draft and one of the best LBs in space.

TT seems to be fixing the KC thing, Pouncey should really help keep Rivers clean, the above three picks should help loads with stopping KCs running and short passing attack, desperately needed (for other games too!). The later picks can go BPA, should be a RB in there, developmental OL, DB, the usual.

Comment

• Attack
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2017
                    • Send PM

I'm in the D-line at #17 camp.

1st- Payne. I think he is the best player for our D. If he's not there, then Hurst.

2nd- Penny. He will transform ST and make it a threat on every return, and will relieve Benjamin from that role. Also, a great complement to Gordon (thinking of the Saints production), and has the potential to be the lead back if we move on from Gordon in a few years.

3rd- a big Safety. There are many to choose from this year.

4th- Jewell. A playmaker.

5th, 6th, 7th- build up depth.

Comment

Working...
                    X