Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula 21
    commented on 's reply
    Liuget is, and it hsn't helped him much.

• richpjr
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, that would be a hell of a fall for Fitzpatrick down to 17.

• chargerkdb
    commented on 's reply
    Narrow hips. Seriously though, he isnt that thick in lower body
    Last edited by chargerkdb; 04-24-2018, 11:07 AM.

• Formula 21
    commented on 's reply
    Plus he'd look great in the next remake of "The Longest Yard."

• Formula 21
    replied
    And this is my long shot for the Bolts

RANK

Taven Bryan, DT, Florida

Bryan is a very athletic, twitched-up defensive tackle. As a pass rusher, he has an excellent get-off. He launches out of his stance and flashes an impressive push/pull move to generate pressure. When he has proper hand placement, he can push the pocket with outstanding power. He does needs to add more hand moves to his arsenal, but he has the raw tools to develop into an outstanding interior pass rusher at the next level. Bryan is very inconsistent against the run. He plays too high, struggles to resist pressure on angle blocks and loses sight of the ball. He's at his best when slanting and shooting gaps. Overall, Bryan isn't a finished product, but he has Pro Bowl-caliber traits and could emerge as a premier interior pass rusher.

Leave a comment:

• Formula 21
    replied
    Kachinga. Best case scenario I've seen.

PICK

Minkah Fitzpatrick - S, Alabama

This is a surprising fall for a player who was projected as a top-five pick when we started this evaluation process. He slides a bit in part due to the early run on QBs. Despite a big need at defensive tackle, the Chargers cannot afford to pass on this versatile playmaker, as they have a need at safety, too.

Leave a comment:

• WindsorUK
    replied
    I'm getting more on board with a Rashaad Evans pick. I wouldn't be upset though with Payne, but Evans would be on the field A LOT more.
    And staying at Tuscaloosa, I'd be happy with Harrison in the second round.
    The only offensive player I'd consider in the first 3 rounds is Penny in round 3, if he's available.
    We have holes all over the fielld- our top 3 picks need to contribute. And Penny would see a large number of reps on teams and O.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    I think people are missing the point on Vea and Payne. Both have the potential to be on the field as much as big DL can be. It's just that there are limits to how many plays a big player is going to be one the field and be productive. You have to rotate them. DL who are on too many plays wear down. The same is true of Bosa and Ingram, as it is for Liuget and Mebane (and Payne and Vea). If any of our DL play too many snaps, you can expect their production to start off OK and then disappear. In 2017 Bosa was 851 and Ingram was 890 and they both disappeared later in the year.

Ryan Kerrigan for Washington has been on a snap count the last 3 years and he raves about it. They want him on the field between 70-75% of their defensive snaps (45-50 plays per game). philly started with subbing their DL a lot early on and then, later on, cut back on it some, but their DL had fresh legs to rush Brady, and it won them the SB.

We need depth at DE and production at DT just because big guys wear down faster than smaller players do. You can't rush the QB if your legs are worn out.

Payne is in better shape and smaller, so he can probably play more downs overall. However, the bigger issue is that he is a much closer to being an accomplished player. He has good technique. He is a lot like Bosa. He needs to improve in some areas, but the basic skills are there. It is not going to take much for him to turn into a good player.

Vea is a lot like the player Danny Shelton was coming out of Washington. They had similar styles of play, and similar kinds of athletic ability (although Vea is faster). Shelton took 2 years to develop and finally has turned into a good NT. If you follow that timeline, we will have to suffer for a couple of years before Vea is going to pan out, as he develops NFL technique.

Except that since we don't suck, it may be harder to get him all the playing time he needs. Teams that suck can let players learn on the field, while teams playing for playoffs have to put the best players on the field.

Leave a comment:

• bonehead
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    commented on 's reply
    I'd be very, very happy if Payne is our pick. That front would give people a lot of trouble.

• Bolt-O
    replied
    LA Times beat writers live draft:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la...htmlstory.html

Dan Woike, Los Angeles Times

Leave a comment:

• chargerkdb
    replied
    I think #17 and Verrett a 4th, plus a conditional in '19 to the Colts for #6. Chargers select Tremaine Edmunds. Colts have 3 2nd rounders , they need oline, secondary bad. Verrett starts straight away and they can still get McGlinchy, a safety, Guard and probably RB in 2nd. That would be a big haul for them
    Last edited by chargerkdb; 04-23-2018, 07:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X