• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinabolt
    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
    • Feb 2015
    • Send PM

You make it sounds like finding a Bosa-like player in 1st round is a natural thing. Actually, 1st round busts are more common. Do you remember any NE's 1st round pick? Other than maybe Richard Seymour?

All of Telesco 1st round picks have been either Hall of Famer (Bosa) or Pro Bowlers (Verrett, Gordon), or starters/major contributors. Other 1st round picks from other teams don't even make the team, no longer with their teams, or on to Canada in a few years, or out of football period. This is more common than you think. If you think 1st round picks has to be elite all-pro, then basically every personnel man in NFL history is suck, including the great Belichick, lol.
    Last edited by vinabolt; 11-27-2017, 02:13 PM.
    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• WindsorUK
      WindsorUK commented
      Editing a comment
      Patriot no. 1's? Devin McCourty, Nate Solder, Dont'a Hightower, Chandler Jones, Malcolm Brown. Not a bad first round haul considering none were chosen higher than 17( Solder) That's in the past 8 years, and they didn't have no. 1's 3 of those years!
      That's why they're the best in the NFL this century- they hit more than they miss with their top pick.
      If Verret and Gordon somehow figure out a way to stay healthy and productive, TT's drafts look better but as of now, no, not a good run.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Looking at PFF's rookie of the year standings, most of the top 10 are 2nd-3rd rounders. Of course that is 11 games worth, not a career's worth of playing time. Yep , the first round is a crapshoot but you still get he best potential players at the top.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• vinabolt
      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
      • Feb 2015
      • Send PM

As far as first round, I'd say Telesco has done as good of a job as other common personnel people. If we think about it, the 2 best first round picks in Belichick career were Seymour and Wilfork (Gronk was a 42nd pick in the 2nd round), none of those two 1st rounders were dominating in the level of Bosa. Bosa has been playing like a surefire Hall of Famer. Those 2 NE's guys are slim HOF hopeful.

Their other 1st round picks were all the like of Ty Warren, Joey Mayo, what some haters would labeled as "average", but actually, they played and contribute a lot to the team. Some teams just play safe on 1st round. They don't find many elite players but no real busts either.

As far as the whole performance (all rounds and all acquisations), we just have to look at a team and see if that is a talented team or not.
      Last edited by vinabolt; 11-27-2017, 02:55 PM.
      Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

We need more ability to stuff the run, and someone to push the middle of the pocket to flush the QB to Ingram and Bosa.

Top 10 picks in the 1st round tend to be elite athletes, but not necessarily very accomplished players. Usually very raw. High risk, but high upside. After the top 10, the talent level drops, but if you get one that is scheme specific (like NE does) then you can find some real gems. If we can't land someone of elite talent, then trying to trade down and add more picks makes sense. But it is all about getting the players you really want, anything else, like adding picks is secondary.

Comment

• OhioBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

In light of Rivers last 3 games QB is not what we spend the 1st pick of the draft with, but we do need a QB for the future.

Offense

We are set at WR and TE
          Okung has performed better than expected, but how much he has in the tank going forward OL is a position to look at with 1st or 2nd pick, I think we can build around Lamp and Feeney with that said another Tackle is required Barksdale so inconsistent and been injury proned.
          Far as Running Back I roll with Gordon again, but I wouldn't be against drafting another Running Back

Defense

The only two positions of need would be DT and Safety Boston has to be replaced.
          All other positions we just need better depth particularly at LB, I feel pretty good at corner Trevor Williams has made the jump and is decent, and Desmond King has been better than advertised he has been the nickel, hopefully Micheal Davis makes the jump next year, if Verrett is on the roster next year and healthy would be a bonus but I don't include him as a part of the future.

Special Teams we are still looking for a returner and need a kicker.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

OT, RB, DT, S...also C. Very doable.

Comment

• whookimane
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Dear Tom.

Please fix the o line and get a true center fielder at safety.

Best,

Bolts Nation

Comment

• Attack
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                In light of Rivers last 3 games QB is not what we spend the 1st pick of the draft with, but we do need a QB for the future.

Offense

We are set at WR and TE
                Okung has performed better than expected, but how much he has in the tank going forward OL is a position to look at with 1st or 2nd pick, I think we can build around Lamp and Feeney with that said another Tackle is required Barksdale so inconsistent and been injury proned.
                Far as Running Back I roll with Gordon again, but I wouldn't be against drafting another Running Back

Defense

The only two positions of need would be DT and Safety Boston has to be replaced.
                All other positions we just need better depth particularly at LB, I feel pretty good at corner Trevor Williams has made the jump and is decent, and Desmond King has been better than advertised he has been the nickel, hopefully Micheal Davis makes the jump next year, if Verrett is on the roster next year and healthy would be a bonus but I don't include him as a part of the future.

Special Teams we are still looking for a returner and need a kicker.
                With Gates being done now, I think we need to add a TE to complement Hunter. There really doesn't seem to be much behind Hunter, unless one of those other guys develops, but not really seeing it. Maybe Culkin can be something.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I like the TE we have now. McGrath is a OK inline TE who can play FB, and has done some damage as a receiver back in KC. Culkin looked like a classic inline TE, and actually was a decent blocker for a rookie, although nothing special as a receiver.

I wouldn't pass on a good TE, but I don't think it is an immediate need.

We also potentially could open up the roster some and replace Watt. McGrath has been lining up at FB some, and we hardly use Watt.

We should either start to use him as more of an Hback/motion TE, or consider drafting a flex TE/big WR type who could be put in motion and be a receiving threat opposite Henry. Then if we can ever solidify the OT situation we would have 2 TE types to get mismatches vs LB. The OT situation has forced Henry to be used too much as a blocker this season. A complimentary RB who is better at blitz pickups than Gordon and Ekeler wouldn't hurt in that department either.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

I got ripped for suggesting a Joker type TE in this past draft. I agree.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

I still think C, OT, DT are bigger priorities, but if we can find a TE then we should go for it. Often you can land the top TE in the draft in the 2nd round (Hunter Henry) (Ebron for the Lions).

While we have needs, I still think trying to go out and just get guys who can have an impact is always a smart move. Rivers and a lot of QB do their best work making inside out reads, which kinda goes against what more traditional offensive design goes for. If you read inside out, you pretty much have to have some talent at the TE spot, so that defenses have to work hard to take that 1st read away. A Joke type TE (sometimes called a Flex end), or even a more traditional TE (to free up Henry to move around) just seems like it fits Rivers, and a lot of young QB.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Panamamike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ebron was the 10th pick in the draft.
                    • Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Yeah im still leaning defense. You look at the Jags and they are winning with defense. We have an opportunity to be that good with just a couple more pieces. Id like a stud DT early. Maybe FS. I still think we can probably upgrade Center through free agency but im not opposed to center. I just wonder if TT is cursed drafting OL. Id grab a couple defenders early. And im never opposed to BPA. I think our offense is starting to break out. Again i will always probably feel that Lynn was doing something to keep us flat. I think his role is best suited as a details guy who can take on a Marty type roll. Get these kids believing in themselves and focus on fundamentals. Let Whiz continue to work with Rivers on this passing attack. Id look at a couple new coaches next year on the OL and ST's. I would probably also look at drafting a kicker or signing someone. Im frankly over the kicking issues. We need to get back to the Carney days where it was a lock to go through the posts.

Comment

Working...
                      X