• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I don't think the list means anything. I think they do the interviews for just about everyone, just being complete. You scout every position, even positions with no need. And I think TT is honest when he says he doesn't let need influence the scouting. If a team is drafting long enough, you need good players everywhere, so taking a good player high at a position where there isn't a need evens out in the long run.

For example, WR was the deepest spot on the team when we took Allen in the 3rd round. Then Alexander and Floyd got hurt and Allen was starting by week 3. He was not a need pick, but it came in awfully handy. Some people said we didn't need to take Henry when we did, but I think most of us realize that this past season, we would have been SOL if we had to have Gates play most of the downs.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Pro Football Focus Offers Midround Gems the Chargers Should Target
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

What Areas Must the Team Address?Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram

Telesco offered a similar response, though added an extra emphasis on the linebacker position:

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

It looks like Bosa and Ingram played more run D at the end of the year at the expense of getting sacks.

Oh yeah. Lets upgrade the LBs too.
          Last edited by Formula 21; 03-01-2018, 02:47 PM.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
            Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Hotter than hell, Georgia
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            It looks like Bosa and Ingram played more run D at the end of the year at the expense of getting sacks.

Oh yeah. Lets upgrade the LBs too.
            Time to hop on the Tremaine Train

Comment

• Rambler
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • No Cal
              • Civil Research Attorney
              • Send PM

Something I think deserves some consideration is that GMs may pass on a highly rated player at a certain position high in the draft because they have closely rated another prospect or several different prospects at that same position they think will be available in later rounds.

This year, one position that seems loaded with good prospects is center.

For that reason, even though I think we could be looking at drafting a center, I doubt it will be Billy Price of Ohio State in round 1 (I thought so even before his lifting injury at the combine).

I wonder if a prospect like Tim Settle probably being available in the 2nd round would cause the Chargers to pass on DTs in the first round.

Just something to think about.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

The San Francisco 49ers are victors in the offseason battle of the bay.

The 49ers won a coin flip against the Oakland Raiders on Friday to secure the ninth overall pick in April's NFL draft. In losing the coin flip, the Raiders get the 10th overall pick.

The the coin flip determines who gets first choice of the LBs. Please let one of them fall.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph said he worked out with Philip Rivers in Southern California a few weeks ago and talked with the Los Angeles Chargers at the Senior Bowl.
                  Eric D. Williams, ESPN Staff Writer

Comment

• Attack
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2017
                    • Send PM

Let's remove Orlando Brown from the draft board, unless he is a later round pick, He is simply unathletic and will take many years to get in NFL playing shape. I wouldn't touch the guy. I know some people will say that the combine isn't very indicative of how a player will perform, but I've seen enough.....

Comment

• chargerkdb
                      Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                      • Send PM

If you show up at the combine (job interview) as out of shape as Brown is then you deserve to lose money. WTF is he thinking?

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I'm not sure it is him being out of shape.

The guy is not an elite athlete. If you watched him play, you knew he wasn't going to be a good testing guy.

What teams need to figure out his lack of quickness and explosion are a problem that he cannot overcome. He really struggles blocking down, reaching, pulling, or doing combos with other players. HE only does well on player over him, but that is not exactly news, everyone knew that long before the combine. He has a lot of work as a run blocker.

His drill work was not too bad, so he showed that he can route a pass rusher around the pocket. The good thing for Brown is that he showed well in the pass rush drill. Good feet and he stays square. He also did well in the mirror, staying in front of the guy opposite him.

Again, I don't think anyone learned anything about Brown. You already knew everything that his combine workout showed. IT shows up when you watch him play. You would like to think the guy would have tried a lot harder to work on his quickness and explosion. He is a little entitled, being the son of Zues (Orlando Brown). But it is clear a lot of other guys aren't really that much better.

He is the best pass protector in the draft, but his limitations as a run blocker are very serious. He has recently lost something like 40 pounds, but his lack of quickness and explosion is also an issue. Again, I am not sure why so many people got so excited about him in the 1st place. Nothing new was uncovered to anyone who bothered to pay attention before.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Post-combine cluster, not a lot of change but:

James
                          Payne
                          Smith
                          Edmunds
                          Vea - potential is too much to pass up if the others are gone
                          Davenport - no way he drops but if he does, put him at the top of the list

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍