• Send PM

Sig bet: we take two LBs this draft.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
      We absolutely neeed to upgrade the middle of the DL and LB depth. Can you honestly count on Perryman to be available each week?
      ...He will get snaps this year and let perryman walk next year. And fair thing to do??? Fuck fair. I want the most talent on my roster i can get. He can worry about his FA when the time comes. That is zero concern to me, nor should it be to TT. He is still on his rookie deal, and what comes next is yet to be seen. Another injury plagued year and our D suffers and he gets bargain bin money on a prove it deal.
      I agree with this.

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
      Stock up your team with good players, and the good players will see the field. ...If Brown had been on the field, the stats would have shown way more LBer snaps. Since Phillips is a S, DB's got those snaps. If they can play, they will find the field. With Perryman I still saw a lot of Emmanuel and Pullard, even on the field with Perryman. ...Make our D better. Give our LBers more depth, should Perryman get hurt again? Resign Dzubner to the special team role he is meant for. Take the best player. Take a guy that makes us better. Again, I like Vea.. I've watched the clips Steve posted, and I still see the same thing. Dude abuses Olinemen.. I even watched a handful of "Analysis" clips that were linked from those, and I can't find anyone that doesn't think he's a sure fire first rounder. But, I'd be happy with Payne. ...They all are better than what we have and make the team better. Snaps or not.
      I also agree with this.

So I'm fine with us taking DL or LB in the 1st or the 2nd, but since I don't think we're in a must take position "X" place right now, I'd be good with taking the BPA at any OL position or maybe even RB if the right guy is there too, and then taking DL, LB, LB/SS, FS throughout the rest of the draft.

Since it looks like even veteran S are still available, maybe we don't need to use that high of a pick at this position to get us through this year if need be. Does Justin Reid look like he could be good? How about somebody like Cruikshank from Arizona?

And at LB, should we take a shot at somebody like Leon Jacobs, or is he just a 40 time?

Comment

• Panamamike
        Panamamike commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the dark horse scenario this draft is that the top corner is sitting there at 17.

As to Safety. I think it is a really valuable position and increasingly so. However it is a supply and demand situation right now. It is a really deep draft at safety and there are a number of decent options as FA.

• Gwynning_Spirit
        Gwynning_Spirit commented
        Editing a comment
        I could live with that.
    • Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

LB, even good players, simply are not impact players anymore. They are too big, and don't change direction well enough in coverage.

NFL offenses have decided that we won't be playing with LB on the field that much. They play the majority of the game with 3 or 4 WR sets, so 1 LB (or NT) has to come off the field so the D is playing 2 true LB right off the bat. What 2nd LB do we think can run with all these pass catching TE and RB? How many with the WR?

College football is full of in the box S. NFL teams have ignored these guys for a long time. The NFL want deep S who can cover. But if you are willing to look for LB like S, who play in the box (like Addae and Phillips), they are actually all over the place. So, play them like a LB. Even the average guy is as fast or faster than all but the fastest LB, and can change direction better too.

The old story was that the offenses will just run on these tiny weeney S. But can they?

You are going to bury some big hitting S with a TE or FB who can't block? Blocking a S who is attacking the line is one of the tougher blocks to make in football, and these guys don't get used like that in college and NFL teams don't develop their own. Go ahead and try and take some scrub FB who is an undreafted FA and tye and block Ronnie Harrison with him. You might get that a few times a game, but you won't get rich doing it. And in the running game, I can always rotate up another S or CB in run support and outnumber the blockers. At the very least I can outnumber you at the point of attack, and those same players can run down plays to the backside. But put that same TE against Malik Jefferson or Vander Esch and he probably needs some deep help from a S.

Call the S types I want anything you like. 215-225 lb S or College LB who can run. if they played LB in college fine. If they played as an in the box S, fine. Think the next Rodney Harrison. He played LB for the Pats. They hardly used him as a deep S at all. That is what we need. A couple of guys like Rodney (who are not in much demand yet), and we are in great shape. We are fine with Addae and Phillips, but we can be a lot better off with a couple of true playmakers. Except that they won't come off the field. They will have an impact.

All that being said, the bigger need is at DT. Mebane is old and Liuget is not productive. We need some production at 2/11th's of our D. Plus, we need them to do a better job of being stout at the line. LB or S, you have to use the DL to protect them. Neither one of them is going to get rich taking on and shedding blocks at the line. We have to have DT for that.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

I do really like the idea of Griffen in our D.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

I think we're 7 deep on the DL, so even if we don't get an early DL, we're in decent shape. And that's a lot of money for one position group.

Defensive linemen under contract: Melvin Ingram ($13.88 million), Joey Bosa ($7.06 million), Corey Liuget ($9.5 million) , Brandon Mebane ($5.5 million), Damion Square ($2.61 million), Darius Philon ($735,147) Isaac Rochell ($555,000), Christopher Landrum ($555,000), Whitney Richardson ($480,000).
          But still, I'm looking for a DL in one of the first 2 rounds.

Is Liuget worth 13x Philon?
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I never would have said we were in bad shape. But I think we can do a lot better.

I think an issue with our LB play was the DL. It's not the whole issue, but part of it.

If nothing else we need them to disrupt the offense by making plays behind the line. We did very little of that. Just the threat that running teams have a decent chance of falling behind schedule really forces them to abondon their game plans.

There is also the pass rush synergy that comes from pushing the middle of the pocket. We ranked behind Jacksonville in terms of the pass rush and defensive ability, even though in many ways our D was similar. The big difference ends up being that they got a lot more pressure inside, which leads to more sacks by the outside guys and a lot more lost yardage. Even though we had almost as many sacks, they had almost twice as many yards lost. That is QB being taken down by the DE as they step up. Take away the step up, it really lengthens the down and distance on early down sacks, not to mention the FP from late down sacks.

I do think we can use Rochelle and Phillon to push the inside of the pocket more, in addition to sliding Ingram and Bosa inside. Adding Payne to add some pass rush at NT would really add to the inside rush.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

I do think we play on our side of the line waaaaay too much. Both on O and D. Coaching or players? I don't know.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                blueman commented
                Editing a comment
                Likely schemed that way due to lack of talent. We need to upgrade our tacklers.
            • chargerkdb
              Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Hotter than hell, Georgia
              • Send PM

Safety, Linebacker, DL. As long as we get a difference maker and improve the front 7 with 2 of first 3 picks im more than happy regardless of order. If one of those 3 picks is a OT, QB or 3rd down back im good as long as not in 1st

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The thing with Mebane, he is near the end of the line even if he plays all season. And we don't have anyone behind him with the same skills.

A guy like Payne is also the type of guy who may not be an ideal fit as a 3 tech, but he could be an OK 3 tech and split time at both spots.

Vea too, but I think he is a couple years from playing a lot.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Comment

• charger1993
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Id be happy with nnadi in the 2nd or 3rd. Depending on the linebackers and safeties avaibke in the first

Comment

• blueman
                      blueman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep on Nnadi, or Jones, NC State. Lots of options for DT help mid-draft.

• charger1993
                      charger1993 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Exactly,if roquan falls into our laps "even tho i dont expect it" due to the medical red flags i keep reading about you have to take him. Hell we could trade back to like pick 20 and take vander esch. But if derwin is there idk i love him as a prospect.hes my number 1 option. As far as dts go, i dont want vea, im really scared about hurst heart condition mostly because we were giving no information, i dont want to draft a player who might drop dead because of a heart problem. Payne is cool but im not a huge fan.
                  • WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

When is draft day?

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Stinky Wizzleteats+ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great, I have my last Chemo treatment the 26th... I'll be down for day 3 for sure...

• Bolt-O
                      Bolt-O commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I might add your name, Stinky, to the Draft Day One thread name for Mojo!

• bonehead
                      bonehead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hopefully the last chemo treatment ever Stinky
                  Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎