• Show
Clear All
  • Screeme
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
    When is draft day?
    In going to completely miss the first round. Second year in a row.

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

I miss the all day Saturday andnSunday drafts
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Watching Boston and Toomer on that Patterson end around for a long TD score just now reminds me of why we need better players on defense. That was just atrocious perimeter run defending. Something that has been highlighted quite a bit by our staff. I dont care if its Safety or LB just get guys on the edge who can not look so terrible with the angles they take and poor tackling. Of course those 2 guys dont get exposed if Pullard doesn't also start the play off by taking a terrible angle for a missed tackle. Too fucking easy.

Those 3 guys are simply bot very good. Not surprised we didnt bring back Toomer or Boston. Its not just the DL thats the problem. Its slow LBs with very poor read and react skills who consistently take poor angles and miss tackles.

Comment

• blueman
          blueman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah but if they just stop doing that we’ll be fine.
      • WindsorUK
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Windsor, U.K.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
        When is draft day?
        Thanks Steve.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

If I remember right, and I think I do... Perryman, when he came back last season... played Will.

I think if they can draft a guy who can play the Mike, and play it for 3 downs, you do it. If you can't... you plug Perryman back into that spot.

And you could look at: Will/Safety/Payne in the first round.

I love Payne, but I do have concerns with how long it takes Big DT's to develop. I'm not talking the Aaron Donald types, I'm talking the bigger guys that play the Mebane role... and with Leguit restructuring... maybe they aren't interested in taking a DT that early?

For as much grief as Emmanuel took on here (and rightfully so, especially early), he improved A lot as the season went on... and we're not in Base 4-3 very often anyway.
          He was playing a brand new position... (He was a 4-3 DE in college, then was a 3-4 OLB for the Bolts)... I thought he played a lot better, and he's on a rookie deal still. And the team is in Base defense what? 30% of the snaps?

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

From Move the Sticks

Chargers looking for QB in Round 2: The Chargers have been doing their homework on this quarterback class and there is a lot of chatter about them potentially looking for Philip Rivers' eventual replacement. While many have pointed to the possibility of taking Louisville's Lamar Jackson in the first round, I'd keep an eye on guys like Washington State's Luke Falk, Oklahoma State's Mason Rudolph and Richmond's Kyle Lauletta in the second round.

Comment

• WindsorUK
              WindsorUK commented
              Editing a comment
              That would just about be right- we need help on the DL, at LB, and S, so taking a project QB, someone who won't play AT ALL, and have zero impact(just like Mike Williams from a year ago)would be true to TT' s MO.
              Go D-early and often!

• chargerkdb
              chargerkdb commented
              Editing a comment
              Don’t forget Lamp. No production from round 1 or 2.

• Panamamike
              Panamamike commented
              Editing a comment
              Since the chatter is never correct with TT and his picks, it is safe to say that QB will NOT be selected in the second round. Book it.
          • blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
              If I remember right, and I think I do... Perryman, when he came back last season... played Will.

I think if they can draft a guy who can play the Mike, and play it for 3 downs, you do it. If you can't... you plug Perryman back into that spot.

And you could look at: Will/Safety/Payne in the first round.

I love Payne, but I do have concerns with how long it takes Big DT's to develop. I'm not talking the Aaron Donald types, I'm talking the bigger guys that play the Mebane role... and with Leguit restructuring... maybe they aren't interested in taking a DT that early?

For as much grief as Emmanuel took on here (and rightfully so, especially early), he improved A lot as the season went on... and we're not in Base 4-3 very often anyway.
              He was playing a brand new position... (He was a 4-3 DE in college, then was a 3-4 OLB for the Bolts)... I thought he played a lot better, and he's on a rookie deal still. And the team is in Base defense what? 30% of the snaps?
              Add in it that some of the teams who have played this scheme in the past have moved the traditional guys around. Gary Plummer was the Will LB for the 49ers when they started Ken Norton and Lee Woodall played a wide 9 flex LB. Norton was about 235 lbs and Plummer about 250 lbs. But Plummer was asked to just plug and fill and they got him off the field pretty quick. Norton was the run and hit slot, and played in all the situations.

The attractive part of Payne is that he is pretty far along with his play. He plays low and uses his hands. He is probably the most pro-ready NFL DT this season, with Hurst being 2nd. Vea is very, very far behind, although he is the sort of top-notch athlete that gets scouts to drool.

I agree on Emmanuel. If we find a OTTO LB who can really rush the QB, draft them, but mostly to add depth at Leo rush types. Emmanuel is a solid depth guy since he can play inside and outside LB, and he does a good job of maintaining leverage on the outside. He isn't a great player, but looking at the current FA, the only other guy who is close is Shea McClellin, and I am not sure he has actually played OLB (he played ILB for NE). Finding another OLB would be nice, but it is not a really high priority. Adding depth would be good too.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

The latest mock on the NFL site has us taking Deerwin James:

This would be a dream pick for the Chargers. James is a top-10 talent in this draft and a perfect scheme fit.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Pick 17 the best defensive player available DT or LB, or Safety, 2nd round defense again.

Comment

• charger1993
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    The latest mock on the NFL site has us taking Deerwin James:

This would be a dream pick for the Chargers. James is a top-10 talent in this draft and a perfect scheme fit.
                    Im telling ya, ima cry if we draft him. Ill be so happy

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

The PFF Live 7 round Mock. Only two rounds so far, but this is a shocker. These are the 4 players I'm most interested in. And boy do they love Hurst. And I have to say, they were right about Bosa when they raved over him.

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston)

Derwin James, S, Florida State

Some debate was had in Berea as offers to trade back were considered versus taking either Michigan DT Maurice Hurst or James. In the end, James and the positional value.@PFF_JohnKosko

9. TRADE: Los Angeles Chargers (from San Francisco)

Maurice Hurst, DI, Michigan

@HondoCz

10. Oakland Raiders

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia@AustinGayle_PFF

20. Detroit Lions

Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech@PFF_Josh
                      Last edited by Formula 21; 04-17-2018, 03:35 PM.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞