• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

2012 - Mark Barron (7th overall) / Harrison Smith (29th)
    2013 - Kenny Veccaro (15th) / Eric Reid (18th) / Matt Elam (31st)
    2014 - Calvin Pryor (18th) / Ha Ha Clinton Dix (21st) / Deone Bucannon (27th) / Jimmie Ward (30th)
    2015 - Damarious Randall (30th) / Landon Collins (1st pick in the 2nd round)
    2016 - Karl Joesph (14th) / Keanu Neal (17th)
    2017 - Jamal Adams (6th) / Malik Hooker (15th) / Jabrill Peppers (25th)

There are two takeaways from this list.

1). Really highly ranked S are extremely rare. Having two taken high is even rarer.
    2). NFL teams know how high a bust rate there is among S that teams take high.

Add in it the number of top FA S who are still around, I don't think NFL value S as much as some of the draftnik's think.

Fitzpatrick seems like a pretty sure bet to go high. Enough speed and the hips to play CB, or at least matchup in the slot man to man. Good deep S, great range on the endline. Enough size, good tackler. Can blitz. He is what every team is looking for.

James is still a work in progress who has not played that much. He is a Jr coming out, but missed a year due to injury. Is still raw, and has split time between SS and FS, and in the slot. He is a great athlete, but I am just not sure everyone is going to jump on him as fast as everyone seems to think. If he does, that just means someone else will slip, but he is the guy who could slip, if history is any indication.

Historically, the 2nd round is the sweet spot for S.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

My point is that he is probably a better pick at 17 than at something like 10 or 12. And probably a better fit for us, than he is for a lot of teams.

There is an element of risk with a guy like him. He is a little raw and not as experienced as many of the S who have come out. We don't ask our S to learn both SS and FS. Our SS and dime LB (Phillips) guys are one position and the FS is a different set of assignments. That cuts the learning curve in half right off the bat. Our situation for him, our scheme, our personnel around him, I think it minimizes the risk for us.

In our D I would use him in place of Phillips, meaning he has a somewhat further reduction in assignments. Plus, he played that position in the FSU nickel and dime packages, so while it was a different scheme, he has some comfort in the assignments. In time, I think he becomes the starting SS, but letting him play over 50% of the snaps as a rookie would be a good start.

James closes on short receivers out of their breaks, I think he really helps tighten up the short dink and dunk zones that teams live off of to keep Bosa and Ingram away from their QB. Plus James does tend to separate a lot of receivers from the ball. That could be a lot of potential int that either he could set up. And playing him that close keeps him in the blitz packages, which is something he does well, and would help Bosa and Ingram. too.

Comment

• chargerkdb
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
          • Send PM

Anyone know if Jesse Bates could play high safety? Heard good things about him but admitedly not seen his play. He may be available in 3rd

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
            Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
            • Jun 2013
            • Palm Springs
            • I know nothing
            • Send PM

In my perfect world James drops to us at 17 and Hurst drops to the second round where we trade our fourth and second to move up and get him too. Get a big run stuffer wherever we can and free agent linebacker for depth.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Still need a couple pass rushers. A LB. I just cant see us trading up. The fact we cut McCain personally makes me think that LB/Edge will be a very high priority. SAM type. I cant stop thinking that Nwosu is in play. Prefer him with a trade back though. Really want to get him in the 2nd.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                Still need a couple pass rushers. A LB. I just cant see us trading up. The fact we cut McCain personally makes me think that LB/Edge will be a very high priority.
                Fleet, you do any research on this guy? He fell to me in that draft simulator game yesterday... the more I read, I really like this guy's potential.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

Fleet, you do any research on this guy? He fell to me in that draft simulator game yesterday... the more I read, I really like this guy's potential.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Well like a good draft guy i should claim i do....look at some videos and stats and then pretend i know....but honestly know nothing about him. lol

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                    Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Palm Springs
                    • I know nothing
                    • Send PM

Based on McCain's tweet after he removed the goodbye one and the fact that he hasn't had any visits, it sounds to me like they have a gentleman's agreement for a deal after the draft.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

Well like a good draft guy i should claim i do....look at some videos and stats and then pretend i know....but honestly know nothing about him. lol
                      Yeah, I know nothing about him either, other than what I read. But I liked what I read.
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

Yeah, I know nothing about him either, other than what I read. But I liked what I read.
                        Ill put him on the list.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Still need a couple pass rushers. A LB. I just cant see us trading up. The fact we cut McCain personally makes me think that LB/Edge will be a very high priority. SAM type. I cant stop thinking that Nwosu is in play. Prefer him with a trade back though. Really want to get him in the 2nd.
                          I think you're overvaluing Nwosu in the draft. I see him rated that highly on the various sites.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞