• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chargerkdb
    Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Hotter than hell, Georgia
    • Send PM

I think #17 and Verrett a 4th, plus a conditional in '19 to the Colts for #6. Chargers select Tremaine Edmunds. Colts have 3 2nd rounders , they need oline, secondary bad. Verrett starts straight away and they can still get McGlinchy, a safety, Guard and probably RB in 2nd. That would be a big haul for them
    Last edited by chargerkdb; 04-23-2018, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

LA Times beat writers live draft:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la...htmlstory.html

Dan Woike, Los Angeles Times

Comment

• richpjr
        richpjr commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd be very, very happy if Payne is our pick. That front would give people a lot of trouble.
    • bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I think people are missing the point on Vea and Payne. Both have the potential to be on the field as much as big DL can be. It's just that there are limits to how many plays a big player is going to be one the field and be productive. You have to rotate them. DL who are on too many plays wear down. The same is true of Bosa and Ingram, as it is for Liuget and Mebane (and Payne and Vea). If any of our DL play too many snaps, you can expect their production to start off OK and then disappear. In 2017 Bosa was 851 and Ingram was 890 and they both disappeared later in the year.

Ryan Kerrigan for Washington has been on a snap count the last 3 years and he raves about it. They want him on the field between 70-75% of their defensive snaps (45-50 plays per game). philly started with subbing their DL a lot early on and then, later on, cut back on it some, but their DL had fresh legs to rush Brady, and it won them the SB.

We need depth at DE and production at DT just because big guys wear down faster than smaller players do. You can't rush the QB if your legs are worn out.

Payne is in better shape and smaller, so he can probably play more downs overall. However, the bigger issue is that he is a much closer to being an accomplished player. He has good technique. He is a lot like Bosa. He needs to improve in some areas, but the basic skills are there. It is not going to take much for him to turn into a good player.

Vea is a lot like the player Danny Shelton was coming out of Washington. They had similar styles of play, and similar kinds of athletic ability (although Vea is faster). Shelton took 2 years to develop and finally has turned into a good NT. If you follow that timeline, we will have to suffer for a couple of years before Vea is going to pan out, as he develops NFL technique.

Except that since we don't suck, it may be harder to get him all the playing time he needs. Teams that suck can let players learn on the field, while teams playing for playoffs have to put the best players on the field.

Comment

• WindsorUK
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Windsor, U.K.
          • Send PM

I'm getting more on board with a Rashaad Evans pick. I wouldn't be upset though with Payne, but Evans would be on the field A LOT more.
          And staying at Tuscaloosa, I'd be happy with Harrison in the second round.
          The only offensive player I'd consider in the first 3 rounds is Penny in round 3, if he's available.
          We have holes all over the fielld- our top 3 picks need to contribute. And Penny would see a large number of reps on teams and O.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Kachinga. Best case scenario I've seen.

PICK

Minkah Fitzpatrick - S, Alabama

This is a surprising fall for a player who was projected as a top-five pick when we started this evaluation process. He slides a bit in part due to the early run on QBs. Despite a big need at defensive tackle, the Chargers cannot afford to pass on this versatile playmaker, as they have a need at safety, too.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Panamamike commented
              Editing a comment
              I give it less than a 2% chance of happening.

• bonehead
              bonehead commented
              Editing a comment
              I have seen 3 mocks that have Derwin James falling to 17

• Formula 21
              Formula 21 commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m not seeing much enthusiasm for safeties right now.
          • Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

And this is my long shot for the Bolts

RANK

Taven Bryan, DT, Florida

Bryan is a very athletic, twitched-up defensive tackle. As a pass rusher, he has an excellent get-off. He launches out of his stance and flashes an impressive push/pull move to generate pressure. When he has proper hand placement, he can push the pocket with outstanding power. He does needs to add more hand moves to his arsenal, but he has the raw tools to develop into an outstanding interior pass rusher at the next level. Bryan is very inconsistent against the run. He plays too high, struggles to resist pressure on angle blocks and loses sight of the ball. He's at his best when slanting and shooting gaps. Overall, Bryan isn't a finished product, but he has Pro Bowl-caliber traits and could emerge as a premier interior pass rusher.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              Formula 21 commented
              Editing a comment
              Plus you can get a fat ass to defend the run anywhere in the draft. This is a pass rusher, a rare player from the DT spot. We've had too many years where the DL is just ineffective rushing the QB. This will complete the change to an effective pass rush DL.

• Panamamike
              Panamamike commented
              Editing a comment
              Telesco values college production a lot so I don’t see this as our pick.

• chargerkdb
              chargerkdb commented
              Editing a comment
              He’s a decent prospect but I think he falls late first to mid 2. I personally would take Settle over him. I’m curious about Da’shawn Hand later in draft. You want to see 300lbs of granite he is it. He was a top 5 star who was slow to get into rotation at Bama. Similar situation to Settle who left some eligibility out there. Skills are there but will light ever come on. Settle probably a shade at next level, I think Hand can kick inside in a 4-3
          • charger1993
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
            I'm getting more on board with a Rashaad Evans pick. I wouldn't be upset though with Payne, but Evans would be on the field A LOT more.
            And staying at Tuscaloosa, I'd be happy with Harrison in the second round.
            The only offensive player I'd consider in the first 3 rounds is Penny in round 3, if he's available.
            We have holes all over the fielld- our top 3 picks need to contribute. And Penny would see a large number of reps on teams and O.
            I wouldnt be on his train so hard.. Watch his tape hes a chase linebacker they never work in the nfl

Comment

• WindsorUK
              WindsorUK commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting take 1993. I'll have a look.

• charger1993
              charger1993 commented
              Editing a comment
              Lmk if you notice it, imo he should have stayed at bama.
          • Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I find scouting LB much tougher these days than it used to be. Everyone I watch seems to be waiting to see the ball and then react. It used to be, when so many college teams played pro style offenses, or ran the option out of pro sets, the LB had to read their keys and react. That is what they do in the NFL. So you could kinda tell who could read and react at the next level based on how they played. The guys who waited to see the ball and then react were too slow. Now, I don't think I can tell the difference between the guys who can read and the guys who wait. IT seems like they all wait and see the ball, because in the spread the ball is on display.

If Fitzpatrick falls, we have our Earl Thomas or Cam Chancellor. He isn't as good as a deep middle read the QB eyes (like Thomas) and he isn't the in the box thumper that Chancellor is, but he is better in one on one coverage matchups than either. The hardest part would be deciding if he is better at SS or FS. I see him as more of a FS, but I think he could be great at either.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              And this is my long shot for the Bolts

RANK

Taven Bryan, DT, Florida

Bryan is a very athletic, twitched-up defensive tackle. As a pass rusher, he has an excellent get-off. He launches out of his stance and flashes an impressive push/pull move to generate pressure. When he has proper hand placement, he can push the pocket with outstanding power. He does needs to add more hand moves to his arsenal, but he has the raw tools to develop into an outstanding interior pass rusher at the next level. Bryan is very inconsistent against the run. He plays too high, struggles to resist pressure on angle blocks and loses sight of the ball. He's at his best when slanting and shooting gaps. Overall, Bryan isn't a finished product, but he has Pro Bowl-caliber traits and could emerge as a premier interior pass rusher.

Bryan is grat athlete who is still learning to play DT. He used to work out with his dad a lot (former Navy Seal), so the kid has a work ethic. I like him, I am just not necessarily sold on him in the 1st round. I would like him better if he had better technique and/or better production.

I do think that Giff Smith is probably the best DL coach in the NFL, so I think there is a good chance that a kid like Bryan might work better for us than a lot of teams.

Hand was a 5 star guy, but he has had some of the best college coaching you can get, and the guy is still just a prospect. I was hoping he had a good final year at Alabama, but he didn't do much. If we can get him in the right round, he could be a good fit, but he might end up being a developmental guy who never pans out. I am a little tired of that after years of Liuget.

The other guy I am interested in is Kentavious Street. Like Hand, he seriously underwhelmed everyone his senior year despite having the other 3 members of the NC state DL draw all the attention. He is a workout warrior with unbelieveable weight room numbers, and good workouts overall. But then at the Shrine game practices, he got everyone excited as a 3 tech DT (he played DE his whole time at NC STate, because of their other 3 draft ready guys), and suddenly looked like he could play. At 275-280, he is kinda light, but he could be another John Randle type guy (another under producing college DE who found a home at DT).

Comment

• chargerkdb
                chargerkdb commented
                Editing a comment
                I would only consider Hand in later rounds. He was a huge prospect that never lived up to expectations. Is he lazy? Slow learner? Has he reached his ceiling? Id take a late fly on him. Could bust or be a steal
            • Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

From ESPN NFL Nation mock draft:

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                From ESPN NFL Nation mock draft:

Taven Bryan at 20, Payne at 26, Hurst not making the top 32. The DT rankings are fluid.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Panamamike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mayock was talking about his health concerns pushing him to day 3!! I’d be doing some serious DD. He could be a massive steal.
              Working...
              X
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎