• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

In fact, today I'd like to spotlight 26 particular prospects -- six elite talents, 15 difference makers and five wild cards with high upside -- and of the 26, only three play quarterback. Let's get into it:

ALL-PROS

These are the elite prospects in the class. They should rank among the top five players at their respective positions in two to three years. I've ordered them according to how they grade out in my book.

1) Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
    2) Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State
    3) Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
    4) Derwin James, S, Florida State
    5) Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
    6) Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame

PRO BOWLERS

These prospects are regarded as difference makers based on their raw talent. They should make immediate contributions as rookies and rank among the top 10 at their position within two to three years. I've ordered them according to how they grade out in my book.

1) Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
    2) Sam Darnold, QB, USC
    3) Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
    4) Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
    5) Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
    6) Harold Landry, Edge, Boston College
    7) Vita Vea, DT, Washington
    8) Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
    9) Mike Hughes, CB, UCF
    10) James Daniels, C, Iowa
    11) Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
    12) Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
    13) Billy Price, C, Ohio State
    14) Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP
    15) Marcus Davenport, Edge

UTSA
    RED STAR PLAYERS

On the "Move the Sticks" podcast, Daniel Jeremiah and I routinely discuss how scouts will stand on the table for guys they believe will outperform their draft slot. In the scouting world, these players are called "red star" guys because they are destined to make their mark in the league despite not being the most ballyhooed prospects. After surveying the 2018 class for players with the right skills and intangibles to surpass most expectations, here are my five red-star prospects to watch.

Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville: The 2016 Heisman Trophy winner hasn't been celebrated as one of the top quarterbacks in the class, but it's hard to ignore a dynamic athlete with A+ arm talent and playmaking ability. Jackson eclipsed 3,500 passing yards and 1,500 rushing yards in back-to-back seasons, improving his completion rate and overall efficiency in the process. Despite being erroneously perceived by many as a typical spread-option quarterback, Jackson's experience in a pro-style offense under the tutelage of a hard-nosed coach (Bobby Petrino) should help him assimilate to the pro game quicker than most expect. If he lands with the right team led by a creative coach, the Louisville standout could evolve into a more polished version of Michael Vick. Just ask Vick himself.

Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State: The former high school lacrosse player is an explosive hybrid with the athleticism and movement skills to make an impact off the edge. Whether acting as a disruptive pass rusher racing around the corner or a Swiss Army Knife stand-up player in a 3-4, Hubbard's unique skills could make him a star on Sundays. With teams looking for solid options on the edges, Hubbard is a safe bet to at least carve out a nice career.

Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford: Dominant defenses always employ at least a few blue-collar guys. That's why I'm willing to bet on Phillips being a productive starter for a team as an interior defender. The Cardinal standout is a rock-solid defender at the point of attack, exhibiting exceptional strength, power and leverage against single- and double-teams. As a former wrestler with a no-nonsense attitude, Phillips is the kind of "hard hat and lunch pail" player who logs 10-plus years in the league.

Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M: Despite being generally pegged as a slot, Kirk might end up being the best receiver in the draft, with the potential to blossom into a WR1 on the outside. The 5-foot-10, 200-pound pass catcher is a polished route runner with sticky hands and electric running skills. Kirk can deliver splash plays on vertical routes or catch-and-run concepts that allow him to shine as a Steve Smith-like playmaker on the perimeter. Although he doesn't fit the typical profile of a No. 1 receiver, I wouldn't rule out Kirk becoming just that, based on his athleticism, skill set and blue-collar mentality.

Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State: The 6-1, 228-pound playmaker is rarely discussed as one of the top running backs in the class, but teams looking for a big back with skills as a runner and receiver might uncover a gem in this ASU product. Ballage has the potential to emerge as a Le'Veon Bell-like threat, with the size and speed to hurt defenses as a runner and the explosiveness to torch linebackers as a receiver. Although he needs to add some more grit to his game, Ballage's talents as a multi-purpose back could make him an unexpected star in the league.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

By PETER KING
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
        chargerkdb commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats about normal. 15 first round grades is decent

• richpjr
        richpjr commented
        Editing a comment
        The funny thing is how every team will have a different list of players rated as first rounders, especially towards the bottom of the 15.
    • Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Bonsignore trades up to get...

11. Los Angeles Chargers (from Miami Dolphins): Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA:

Comment

• Formula 21
        Formula 21 commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s a bold move if you think Rosen is a franchise qb. And cheap too.

• Panamamike
        Panamamike commented
        Editing a comment
        I think he is the best QBs in this draft. I still don’t like QB this year or moving up. With a good draft, MW, Lamp, and a sprinkle of FA post draft we can be really F’N good this season and next few too. I’d rather use the draft capital elsewhere this season.
    • Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

And the forum would explode. :LOL:
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• chargerkdb
        chargerkdb commented
        Editing a comment
        Then we can start the "Move Rivers to Safety" thread
    • Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

The Ringer's latest (and last) Mock:

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Rosen .....trade up? That would be nuts and yes the forum would explode.......Lord of the Flies redux.....we would have to bring back Yubaking
        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• blueman
          blueman commented
          Editing a comment
          Unless like Steve TT feels we have no glaring holes now that we have a kicker and a center, why not trade up for a player who will never see the field during Rivers’ push for a SB trophy? We can get some journeymen FAs after the draft to fill any holes like backup LB or backup DB, no problem. Ink that first game as a W!

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          Especially if you replace the name Josh Rosen (or any of the 1st round guys) with Kyle Laleutta. If you are going to develop the guy, might as well get the best one.
      • Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Man Vander Esch is getting a ton of negative action about regarding his neck. He may end up in the 2nd round.

Comment

• Formula 21
            Formula 21 commented
            Editing a comment
            Or Belicheat is working overtime on the rumors.

• chargerkdb
            chargerkdb commented
            Editing a comment
            It pretty minor from what I’ve read. He wears neck roll to prevent further injury. My old high school buddy Alton Grizzard R.I.P. played QB at Naval Academy with a neck roll. Cool accessory
            Last edited by chargerkdb; 04-26-2018, 04:34 AM.
        • Sgt Schultz
          Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
          • Jun 2013
          • Palm Springs
          • I know nothing
          • Send PM

Nick Hardwickþ
          Verified account
          @hardwina
          8h8 hours ago More

Nick Hardwick Retweeted Eric Williams
          @eric_d_williams

Nick Hardwick added,

Eric Williams
          Verified account
          @eric_d_williams
          Here's the full list of this year's ESPN NFL Nation Mock Draft. I took Alabama LB Rashaan Evan at No.17 for the Chargers.

Comment

• chargerkdb
            chargerkdb commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like Nick wants Edmunds or VdE
        • Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Mailata goes to Philly. Good luck.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Ontario , Canada
            • Send PM

Here is a ROTO analysis of our draft needs and looks like a pretty accurate reading. OL, DL and FS. Looks like Tevi graded out as the worst RT in football last year.

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍