• Show
Clear All
  • BoltBacker
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Send PM

Lamar Jackson declares for NFL draft

Is this someone Telesco could go after as an outside the box pick? He could sit and learn behind one of the greatest football minds in Philip Rivers for three years. At the same time being such a great athlete we could have special packages from time to time to still bring and extra dimension to our offense. Great minds think of unusual ways to use talent and he has it by the truckload.

As a QB drafting him would not put pressure on Rivers the first time he has a bad game. If there is any great QB to sit behind and learn right now I would say a Rivers/Brady or Brees would be at the top.
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Hey man we have a draft forum where we are discussing this type of stuff. lol

Comment

• BoltBacker
      BoltBacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops
  • madcaplaughs
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Boy, I sure like Jackson's skillset. I think he'd give us a chance if Rivers goes down. If Nelson (OG, Notre Dame), McGlinchey (OT, Notre Dame), Wilkins (DT, Clemson), or Payne (DT, Alabama) is available, I'd have a hard time passing on them to pick Jackson. Now that Darnold has declared, it may be that 5 QB's go in the 1st 15 picks (Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen). I think there will be an excellent player available when we pick. Even if all of the players mentioned are gone, there's likely to be a good CB or Safety.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
      Fluent in Sarcasm
      • Jun 2013
      • Iowa
      • Man of the People
      • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I would take him before 7th rd. He is a great athlete and has a lot of developmental traits.

With the 17th pick? Hell no. He has sloppy mechanics and just doesn't seem to want to work on them. They haven't changed a whole lot since I first saw him play. His footwork is kinda weird. He likes to stand very vertical with his feet together and then has to take extra time to get them in into position to step into his throw. When he is pressured, his steps are all over the place. He also is very much a windup motion with his arm. It gives him a very slow delivery. Those are things that can be fixed if you give him time.

The thing that worries me is that he relies so much on his athletic ability that his decision making is just awful. He can get away with it because he is such a great athlete and there are such big holes and so much separation in college. But those windows are going to be tiny in the NFL. And without the time that college QB get, you wonder if he can handle an NFL pass rush.

The real issue I have with him is that he doesn't even seem to try and read defenses. He throw to his first read a ton. He either relies on his being able to get the ball in because he has an NFL arm, or he just runs. The only times he seems to go to any sort of secondary receivers is when he has an extended scramble. But most of the time he really gets upfield and runs, so I don't think it is a thing he does naturally. And his tendency to just run makes you wonder if he is going to take the time to learn to go through progressions and learn the mecahncial changes that need to happen, or if his body will just keep going back to how it is programmed now.

If he hasn't been drafted in the 5th, 6th round, I would think about taking him. And it might be to expose him at QB and then move him to a different position (WR or slot). But if he had to play QB his decision making and laziness with ball protection really scare me at QB.

Comment

• Attack
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I would take him before 7th rd. He is a great athlete and has a lot of developmental traits.

With the 17th pick? Hell no. He has sloppy mechanics and just doesn't seem to want to work on them. They haven't changed a whole lot since I first saw him play. His footwork is kinda weird. He likes to stand very vertical with his feet together and then has to take extra time to get them in into position to step into his throw. When he is pressured, his steps are all over the place. He also is very much a windup motion with his arm. It gives him a very slow delivery. Those are things that can be fixed if you give him time.

The thing that worries me is that he relies so much on his athletic ability that his decision making is just awful. He can get away with it because he is such a great athlete and there are such big holes and so much separation in college. But those windows are going to be tiny in the NFL. And without the time that college QB get, you wonder if he can handle an NFL pass rush.

The real issue I have with him is that he doesn't even seem to try and read defenses. He throw to his first read a ton. He either relies on his being able to get the ball in because he has an NFL arm, or he just runs. The only times he seems to go to any sort of secondary receivers is when he has an extended scramble. But most of the time he really gets upfield and runs, so I don't think it is a thing he does naturally. And his tendency to just run makes you wonder if he is going to take the time to learn to go through progressions and learn the mecahncial changes that need to happen, or if his body will just keep going back to how it is programmed now.

If he hasn't been drafted in the 5th, 6th round, I would think about taking him. And it might be to expose him at QB and then move him to a different position (WR or slot). But if he had to play QB his decision making and laziness with ball protection really scare me at QB.
          No thanks on Lamar Jackson. I see RGIII written all over him.

Comment

• BoltBacker
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Las Vegas, NV
            • Send PM

I haven't seen enough of him obviously. Two things I would want to know, is he coach-able and what is his accuracy? Does the guy have the potential to read NFL defenses and go through a progression.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
              I haven't seen enough of him obviously. Two things I would want to know, is he coach-able and what is his accuracy? Does the guy have the potential to read NFL defenses and go through a progression.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Hey quit bashing... we need Jackson to go top 15. : )

Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

As I posted in another thread, the UT has him as picking him with our first round pick. Ugh.

Comment

• bonehead
                    Undrafted
                    • Jul 2013
                    • TBD
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    As I posted in another thread, the UT has him as picking him with our first round pick. Ugh.
                    Man that is stupid....how many other teams with top ten QBs did the UT have taking QB with their first pick??
                    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post

Man that is stupid....how many other teams with top ten QBs did the UT have taking QB with their first pick??
                      They had these QBs selected in the first round:

#1 Cleveland - Sam Darnold
                      #6 NY Jets - Josh Rosen
                      #15 Arizona - Josh Allen
                      #17 Chargers - Lamar Jackson
                      #26 New Orleans - Baker Mayfield

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰