• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

I caught some of the Senior Bowl game, and liked QB Mike White from Western Kentucky. He's 6'4" and around 220, has some mobility, a strong enough arm, overall accuracy, throws a good deep ball with accuracy, and Lamp was his left tackle last year. I looked up some of his highlights, and he threw a short pass to Lamp, who then ran it in for about a 10 yd TD.

If White was available in the mid to later rounds, I'd consider selecting him.

Comment

• Screeme
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I only saw the second half, it was all Kyle Lauletta. He was really good in this game. Penny looked good in the plays I saw him, bit the South OLine was bullying the North's D most of the time, too. Penny did have a 73 yard TD Reception, and ended with 7.1 ypr. I think getting him in the third is unlikely...

Comment

• charger1993
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Justin jones also looked good. Isiah wynn helped his stock today hell probably he a day 1 pick. Mike white and kyle lauletta both looked good

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Senior Bowl 2018: What the week meant for Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen and more

There was plenty to take away from Senior Bowl week beyond the performances of Mayfield and Allen

Senior Bowl 2018 is in the books, and it was an intriguing week in Mobile, Alabama, with two of the most high-profile quarterbacks in attendance, an assortment of wide receivers showing out, an athletic freak at running back, and top-10 hype for a small-school pass-rusher.

It's imperative to keep in mind that the week of Senior Bowl practices and the game itself are an incredibly small portion of the predraft process.

Perceptions of prospects fluctuate between the last bowl game and the draft in April, but the week in Mobile won't absolutely make or totally plummet someone's draft stock.

Here are my takeaways from the week that was in Mobile. The quarterbacks

During practice, Baker Mayfield was the most effective quarterback on either squad. He did have instances of hesitation if his first read wasn't open during the week, and he showed that in the game too. Overall though, Mayfield's stock is steady, and many teams will like that he came down to Mobile and competed.

Josh Allen undeniably helped himself at the Senior Bowl. His second practice of the week had some ugly throws, yet it also featured two elite-level touchdown passes. In the game, he demonstrated something that's exceptionally rare on film: soft touch down the field. All week, there were instances in which he held the football too long; however, Allen should be happy with his Senior Bowl performance. Many expected him to tank against top competition in Mobile. That wasn't the case.

Kyle Lauletta taking home MVP honors is certainly helpful to his draft stock. Yes, there'll be Jimmy Garoppolo comparisons, and they won't be that crazy. Like Jimmy G, Lauletta is decisive, has a quick release, and is accurate at the short and intermediate levels. His last touchdown -- to Oklahoma State wideout Marcell Ateman -- was a tight-window strike. I thought he was the second-best quarterback during practice too.

No other signal-caller did much to create any type of post-Senior Bowl buzz. The guards

This is obviously not solely based on their Senior Bowl efforts, but I'll be surprised if UTEP's Will Hernandez and Georgia's Isaiah Wynn aren't the second and third guards taken after Notre Dame stalwart Quenton Nelson.

Hernandez looks like a five-year veteran, rarely loses a battle against a bull rush and is surprisingly nimble and under control at the second level. Wynn's left-tackle feet work wonders inside at guard, and his somewhat smaller stature gives him the leverage advantage over most interior defensive linemen. He's deceptively strong too. Both were excellent all week in practice and stood out in the game. The Marcus Davenport train has long left the station

On Tuesday and Wednesday, Davenport was quiet in practice. Offensive tackles kept him at bay in one-on-one and team drills.

Thursday was an entirely different story, and Davenport was unblockable in the game. The UTSA standout had a sack and a plethora of other quarterback pressures. He repeatedly got underneath the pads of offensive tackles and used his speed to generate power and his length to dispatch those blockers. He even got dinged and returned to the game, demonstrating his toughness.

Davenport was the most talked about non-quarterback in Mobile, and some chatter centered around him going as high as No. 4 to the Browns. Landing with the Buccaneers is a more likely top-10 possibility. The wideouts

LSU's D.J. Chark, Iowa State's Allen Lazard, Oklahoma State's James Washington, and Penn State's DaeSean Hamilton all had fine weeks in Mobile, and Chark stole the show in the game. Gallup and Washington were effortlessly uncoverable, especially deep, while Hamilton's crisp route-running got him open often, and Lazard was the best jump-ball wideout in practice.

This receiver class may not have insane top-end prospects, but it's a deep group. Where'd that come from?

Rutgers outside linebacker Kemoko Turay had an up-and-down collegiate career plagued by injuries. His best statistical output came as a freshman in 2014 when he tallied 8.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks. His film was generally underwhelming, with a rare flash of pass-rushing brilliance.

At the Senior Bowl, his explosion and bend around the edge was nearly unbelievable at times, particularly for someone a shade north of 6-foot-4 and 252 pounds. And that outstanding display of athleticism didn't happen once or twice. He was dominant often in practice and created pressure in the game. For perspective on Turay's physical profile, he has close to the same height and weight measurements as underrated 49ers defensive end Aaron Lynch. The sleepers

South Carolina State's Darius Leonard was, by far, the springiest, most active linebacker in practice and was credited with 14 tackles in the game. At 6-foot-2 and 230 pounds with plenty of speed and athleticism, he has a chance to be one of the first few off-ball linebackers taken in this draft in a class without many sideline-to-sideline second-level tackling-machines.

Virginia defensive lineman Andrew Brown got penetration on a handful of snaps in the game, and during practice he was a menace all week. Inside at three-technique, where he can attack upfield as opposed to setting the edge on at end, is where he belongs in the NFL.

Boston College cornerback Isaac Yiadom had himself a week in Mobile. Outside of one post-corner run by Hamilton, he was glued to receivers all week, and just as importantly, demonstrated the awareness to locate the football in the air and knock it away. At 6-foot and around 190 pounds with 32 1/4-inch arms, he has nearly identical measurements to Lions star cornerback Darius Slay.

North Carolina State defensive tackle B.J. Hill was superb in practice, routinely showing off his ridiculous anchoring ability and heavy hands to beat offensive linemen at the point of attack. He'll give a sprinkle of pass-rush here and there, because he has some twitchiness relative to his size. His bread and butter is defending the run.

Arizona State running back Kalen Ballage had 10 carries for 57 yards in the game, and receiving drills were a breeze for him all week. He even was sturdy in blitz-pickup drills. The Sun Devil alum may not be an old-school feature back in the NFL. He should be a 15-20 touch offensive option who'll thrive in space and provide above-average ability between the tackles due to his jump-cut capabilities and power when finishing runs.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

I was hoping Turay would stay quiet.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
              I was hoping Turay would stay quiet.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Put him him on TTs short list.

South Carolina State's Darius Leonard was, by far, the springiest, most active linebacker in practice and was credited with 14 tackles in the game. At 6-foot-2 and 230 pounds with plenty of speed and athleticism, he has a chance to be one of the first few off-ball linebackers taken in this draft in a class without many sideline-to-sideline second-level tackling-machines.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

2018 draft: 7 prospects who helped themselves in Senior Bowl

Daniel Jeremiah
                  NFL Media analyst
                  +Follow on Twitter
                  Print

Editor's note: Click through the tabs above to see standouts from each day at the Reese's Senior Bowl.

MOBILE, Ala. -- After a week of practices here in Mobile, we finally had a chance to see some of the 2018 NFL Draft's top prospects on Saturday in the Reese's Senior Bowl.

The story of the day at the marquee college all-star game was the quarterback play.

Reigning Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield was the biggest star in attendance, but he was a non-factor Saturday, throwing 7 passes on 2 offensive series before exiting. Three other QBs took full advantage of their time in the spotlight. I was there to see it all up close, analyzing the game from the sideline for the NFL Network broadcast.

Here's a look at seven players who helped themselves on Saturday.

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

Allen is going to build momentum in scouting circles coming out of the Senior Bowl. He's already considered one of the top prospects at his position, and I expect there to be even more excitement about him now.

He didn't have a lot of success in the first half, and could have shut it down at that point, but he didn't. He came back out to start the second half, and I love that he did. He competed, and he showed his complete skill set in second half, finishing the day 9-of-13 for 158 yards and 2 TDs.

We saw his strength to be able to absorb hits and make throws despite the contact. We saw his athletic ability when he took off and ran a couple times. We also saw the fastball that everybody talks about -- he gets plenty of juice on his throws. However, both of his TD passes in the third quarter were beautiful touch throws. I also liked watching him interact with his teammates in this game. He had a lot of energy, and you could see guys rally around him.

The fact that he hasn't fared well against Power Five teams in his career has been one of the biggest knocks against Allen, but he took advantage of the opportunity this week to show the NFL that he can compete against elite talents. I came into the week with Mayfield ranked one spot ahead of Allen on my board, and it remains very close between those QBs. I'm not ready to call that race just yet.

Allen has some rough edges that he still needs to smooth out, but we got a glimpse on Saturday of what it looks like when it all clicks for him. He makes throws that no one else can make.

Richmond QB Kyle Lauletta and Western Kentucky QB Mike White

Obviously, Allen and Mayfield were the biggest stars this week, but Lauletta and White were the two biggest winners of Saturday. With all the attention on the other QBs, they stepped up in a big way and showed they have starting traits. They possess plenty of poise, anticipation, timing and accuracy.

White looked like he had the game MVP award locked up with his outstanding play early on (8-11, 128 yards, TD), but Lauletta entered in the second half and swiped it from him, completing 8-of-12 passes for 198 yards and 3 TDs.

Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA

Davenport wasn't very effective in the first two days of practices here, and some people didn't really give him much of a chance to adjust to the environment at the Senior Bowl before criticizing him. He clearly needed that adjustment period because he was unstoppable late in the week of practices, and it carried over to the game. He recorded a half sack and scored a TD on a fumble recovery. His numbers might not jump off the page, but the North team had its hands full trying to slow him down.

DJ Chark, WR, LSU

There was zero buzz on Chark coming into this week, but he had everyone talking by the end of the week. His production was outstanding (game-high 160 yards on 5 catches) -- everyone can see that -- but it shouldn't go overlooked that he also was good on the coverage teams, covering kicks.

Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State

Penny showed that he has plenty of burst, racking up 137 total yards (64 rushing, 73 receiving). His 73-yard TD catch showed the versatility that he brings to the table. In a year where we have so many good underclassmen running backs, he had to make a splash in this game to stay relevant. He definitely did that. I think he's positioned himself as a second-rounder at this point in the process.

Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State

Leonard has been one of my favorite players all week long. He was all over the field again on Saturday, recording a game-high 14 tackles. I liken him to Jaguars OLB Telvin Smith.

Follow Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter @MoveTheSticks.
                  Last edited by Formula 21; 01-27-2018, 11:21 PM.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

I know it's not likely to happen (unless the team has already decided to let Gordon walk next year) but I'd sure love to see Penny as a Charger. I'm just not sure we can afford or is willing to spend a second round pick on him. While we do have other holes, I think the lack of depth at RB hurt this team. And our kick return game was just about the worst in the league so that is a bonus. But I don't think it's likely. Just please don't let him go to an AFC West team if we don't pick him.

Comment

• blueman
                      blueman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, we lost games due to:
                      RB - I like Bo Scarbough in later rounds
                      C - leaning towards Price with our 1st
                      S - would love Harrison with our 2nd
                  • Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                    X