• South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Kyle Lauletta

Kyle Laulette
    Pros
    Good to great feet
    Looks downfield and keeps his eyes focus downfield
    Doesn't look to bolt from pocket until it breaks down, but has an OK clock in his head. Knows when to extend plays and when to stay put.
    Mobile with good feet. Can roll out and work the perimeter as well as stay in the pocket.
    Needs to develop his body to take an NFL pounding, but fights through arm tackles and stays on his feet, resisting tackles.
    Decent arm strength.
    Throws with some touch.
    Reads D, looking off defenders and playing the mental game.
    HAd to carry a lower level team by himself.
    Throws receivers open and the ball away from defenders.

Weakness
    Played at a small school and in a small conference.
    is still developing accuracy downfield like a lot of young QB.
    Needs to build his body in the weight room. Thin in the lower body, and in the arms.
    Needs to develop timing and consistency within the scheme. The ball is not always thrown on time.
    In the couple games, I could find he took some delay of games too.
    Can spend too much time looking downfield and gets in trouble sometimes in the pocket. His internal clock is good on average, but he sometimes tries to do too much and makes things worse.

Summary
    I like Lauletta better than the other QB in the draft. He needs to develop, but the footwork and arm talent is there. He lacks Josh Allen's huge arm, but that is overrated most of the time. This kid is a pure passer who has the kind of legs that can extend plays and get some yards on the ground. The most complete QB in the draft, but will need to develop some coming from a small school, and learn and NFL offense. I think he really fits what NFL teams are looking for.
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Eric Williams had him a s a player the Chargers should look at:

Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond

Comment

• Screeme
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I was thinking, is it just me, or is this exactly the type of guy we are looking for? I know he isn't a "premiere" prospect, but developmental guy to sit and learn until Philip hangs it up, and crazy potential.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Would not be bummed if we got him with a late pick, yeah.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Unless the guy had rewritten all the NCAA passing records, he was never going to be a top prospect before the senior bowl. Going to Richmond VA is not going to enhance your draft stock, despite the fact that Richmond has a slow but steady supply of players to the NFL.

I am not sure the guy is a late pick at all. At worst, more of a middle round guy. I personally see him as more of a day 2 guy myself. Some teams will definitely downgrade him just because of where he went, and the competition he played against, but it only takes 1 team to like a guy and draft him.

Again, going back and looking at the best picks in the 1st couple of rounds, guys who are fairly mechanically sound and play like NFL players are the guy who enjoy more success in the NFL, long term and as rookies.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Other than a few QBs in this draft only a couple i would consider as replacements. For Clemens. My favorite QB in the draft is Mason Rudolph. But i get the whole B12 thing. I like his mind. I think he makes the deep balls look easy. He can move around. If anyone in this draft had a Rivers type comparison its him. Hes a smart player. He will be a good NFL QB.

Comment

• chargerkdb
              chargerkdb commented
              Editing a comment
              Second this. Outside of selling the farm for one of the top guys Rudolph looks the best development type
          • Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Except, if you are willing to put in some time and try and fix his mechanics, I think Rudolph has excellent arm talent. I just think he is a guy you have to break some of his bad "spread" habits. The grip and rip thing has some of these guys not moving their feet, and I don't think you can get away with that in the NFL. vs college D, the fact that the pass is a bit off target and coming in kinda slow is not a big deal. But the KC secondary will chew up passes like that.

If an NFL team like us, or NO, who is looking for a QB to develop decide any of these guys look like a franchise QB and likes his mental makeup/personality, I don't see these developmental guys necessarily dropping all that much. I could see a bunch of QB going in the first 3 rounds (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Falk, Rudolph, Lauletta, White and maybe Fergeson).

I like Lauletta best of the QB, but how much does better mechanics mean if the guy is going to sit for a couple years behind Rivers? If you are going to do that, you can afford to break him down and really develop him from the ground up.

Comment

Working...
            X