• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    The thing is no one is talking about how his actual play on the field is.

I know everyone starts to drools when they think 40's and all that, but Poe ran the 4.8 40 a few years ago, and in 6 seasons, he flashed potential his rookie year, had 2 good seasons, and then hasn't done anything since (and cost Atlanta $8 mill last year and didn't fix their run D).

While Vea has the athletic measurables that Ngata had, his technique is more similar to Danny Shelton (12th pick overall in 2015) or Poe (11th pick 2012). Again Poe had better technique but has gotten sloppy about it lately (along with a bad back), and Shelton has developed (somewhat slowly) into a good run down guy. Vea has more upside than what Poe has become or what Shelton has done, because the guy can run and be somewhat of a pass rusher. You just have to ask yourself if he has to reinvent himself to develop NFL technique.

Again, I know this weekend is going to be all about measureables and how impressive guys look in spandex, but there is nothing that Vea can do that would impress me. Honestly, who cares what he runs? Everyone knows he runs really well for a big man. What difference do the digits on watch actually make? The only question I have about Vea is if he can learn to take a first step and go forward at the snap like an NFL DL. That question is not going to be answered at the combine.
    Yeah, but would you kick him out of bed? Is our DL coach good enough to fix him? Is Mebane good enough to mentor him?

Is it a wasted #1?

and this is a very difficult question.
    Last edited by Formula 21; 02-27-2018, 07:33 PM.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

We can do better than a project at 17.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I am hoping some other team jumps on him early and relieves us of the problem.

A big part of the reason there are so many high 1st round busts on DL is because of the type of thinking above. Everyone drools over the potential and doesn't worry enough about the important parts.

PFF keeps rattling off the stats, and talking about how similar Ngata and Vea are. If you watched Ngata and you watch Vea, they are completely different styles of play. Ngata was a get up the field, used his hands and looks like an NFL style player. Then you look at Vea and he uses this funky HS/college style of play, where he just sits there and catches the blocker and waits. So far, as much far as I can remember, no player who I have seen that plays like that has ever gone on to be successful in the NFL. There probably are some, but I can think of a lot of players who played some variation of waiting and none that I can think of were even average NFL guys.

As far as Giff Smith and Mebane go, they are the only reason I would ever have considered it (or have considered it so far).

The thing that keeps sticking in my head is on a review of Vea, someone mentioned a quote a scout gave that was something to the effect of he had a whole offseason to fix his get off and 1st step and he didn't make any progress from last year.

To answer your question, I am not sure Vea is even on my draft board anymore. I think it might be a (potentially) wasted #1.

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Even as a head case, with his play really falling off, he was more productive than our DT, and by quite a margin.

Some guys play better once they are knocked of their pedestal. He is not going to get anywhere near the $17 million he was getting with the Jets. He probably isn't going to get anywhere near what Liuget gets, even though he is more productive. The only catch is that we don't have a ton of cap space to work with.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Latest NFL network mock draft has us taking Vea.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

First post combine mock. Big guys falling, little fast guys rising.

Jeremiah mock draft 2.0: Broncos, Ravens among 5 to take QB
                Print
                • By Daniel Jeremiah
                • NFL Media analyst
                • Published: March 6, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.
                • Updated: March 6, 2018 at 11:41 a.m.
                • 0 Likes | 0 Comments

The 2018 NFL Scouting Combine is in the books. The event plays an important role in the draft process, and some prospects helped or hurt themselves this past week in Indianapolis. However, it's only one piece to the puzzle. Keep in mind that free agency, which begins next week, will have a big impact on the draft outlook for teams. Here's the latest iteration of how I think the first round could play itself out.

PICK

Sam Darnold - QB, USC

I know he chose not to throw at the combine, but Darnold is still the choice here.

PICK

Saquon Barkley - RB, Penn State

A QB could be picked here, but Barkley is a rare talent.

PICK

Bradley Chubb - DE, N.C. State

The Colts must address the pass rush.

PICK

Minkah Fitzpatrick - DB, Alabama

I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns traded back instead of selecting here.

PICK

Josh Allen - QB, Wyoming

If the Broncos fail to land Kirk Cousins, they could opt for a full rebuild.

PICK

Josh Rosen - QB, UCLA

Rosen would be a good centerpiece for the Jets' offense.

PICK

Derwin James - S, Florida State

James is a special talent capable of starting at multiple positions.

PICK

Denzel Ward - CB, Ohio State

Ward is the top cover man in the draft.

PICK

Quenton Nelson - OG, Notre Dame

The Niners opt for the best available player.

PICK

Jaire Alexander - CB, Louisville

Alexander is coming off a phenomenal combine performance and Oakland needs an upgrade in the secondary.

PICK

Roquan Smith - LB, Georgia

Smith is an outstanding player and arguably the best leader in the draft.

PICK

Tremaine Edmunds - LB, Virginia Tech

Edmunds is a freakish athlete and the Bengals need more difference makers on defense.

PICK

Marcus Davenport - OLB, UTSA

Davenport has solidified his spot as the No. 2 pass rusher in the draft behind Bradley Chubb.

PICK

Mike Hughes - CB, UCF

The Packers have a need at cornerback and Hughes is excellent on tape.

PICK

Connor Williams - OT, Texas

Williams can play tackle or guard and the Cardinals need to improve up front to compete in the NFC West.

PICK

Baker Mayfield - QB, Oklahoma

The Ravens should be in rebuild mode and that starts with a new signal-caller. Mayfield can sit behind Joe Flacco until he's ready to take over.

PICK

Vita Vea - DT, Washington

Vea is a top-10 talent and he would be too good for the Chargers to pass up.

PICK

Will Hernandez - OG, UTEP

Hernandez is flying up the board after an outstanding Senior bowl and NFL Combine. He's a stud.

PICK

Da'Ron Payne - DT, Alabama

Payne showed off his athleticism at the combine and he'd be a good fit for the Cowboys.

PICK

Taven Bryan - DT, Florida

Bryan can play any position on the defensive line and he'd be a fun toy for new head coach Matt Patricia.

PICK

Rashaan Evans - LB, Alabama

Evans is an explosive, playmaking linebacker capable of covering backs and tight ends.

PICK

Lamar Jackson - QB, Louisville

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills packaged some picks to move up for one of the other quarterbacks, but if they sit still, I could see them building an offense around Jackson's skill set.

PICK

Josh Jackson - CB, Iowa

Jackson will probably slide a little bit after a so-so combine performance, but his ball skills are outstanding on tape.

PICK

Calvin Ridley - WR, Alabama

The Panthers need to give Cam Newton more weapons and Ridley is a dynamic player.

PICK

James Daniels - C/OG, Iowa

Daniels has the ability to play all three interior OL spots and he's ready to play right away.

PICK

Jessie Bates - S, Wake Forest

Bates is one of my favorite players in the draft. He's a true center fielder with tremendous upside.

PICK

Dallas Goedert - TE, South Dakota State

Goedert would post monster numbers in the Saints' offense.

PICK

Leighton Vander Esch - LB, Boise State

The Steelers love big, athletic linebackers and Vander Esch has the tools to match up with elite tight ends.

PICK

Hayden Hurst - TE, South Carolina

Hurst, who'll turn 25 before the start of the 2018 season, is a little older than you'd like, but he has Pro Bowl potential and I love the physicality/toughness he brings to the table.

PICK

Billy Price - C/OG, Ohio State

Price reunites with college teammate Pat Elflein and slides right in at guard. He can play all three interior spots.

PICK

Harold Landry - OLB, Boston College

Landry is a gifted edge rusher and that is an area the Patriots need to address.

PICK

Isaiah Oliver - CB, Colorado

The Eagles have the luxury of simply taking the best player available, and Oliver would be a perfect scheme fit.

Follow Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter @MoveTheSticks.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Payne over Vea is a no-brainer.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Panamamike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed.
                • Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Hurst is gone, Bryan stock is up, and James is a no-brainer if available, as are the two LBs if available.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                    blueman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Like this mock, I think James and the two LBs are long gone by 17. Payne maybe too. Gotta put Evans in my cluster at this point, maybe Harrison.
                Working...
                X