Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Jaylen Samuels RB/Hback/TE NC State

The more I watch this guy, the more I think this is a guy we should target.

We desperately need a 3rd down back.

Gordon is the featured runner, and doesn't adjust to passes outside his frame to be a downfield receiver. Ekler is terrible in pass protection and doesn't see defenders well (see KC disaster). I like him and he is a decent player, but I am not sure we can count on him to develop.

Samuels has done a little bit of everything. He returns kicks, and while he is not outstanding at it, we only get to return about 2 kicks per game (the rest are touchbacks), and he has some explosiveness there. Also good at covering kicks. His real utility is as a jack of all trades type.

He is a OK at RB, and got a lot of carries and looks there. Nothing special but decent size and some speed as a runner.

He did a lot of jet sweeps from the slot to spread defenses horizontally.

He has been used as a pass catching Hback, who can adjust to poorly thrown passes. He can line up in the slot, and get downfield. Lines up at TE a lot, but doesn't block well enough to be anything more than a pass catching TE. You can run to his side.

Has also been used as a wildcat QB, where he reads the defense and can spread the ball around in addition to running with it. Not a great arm by NFL standards, but can throw the halfback option pass. Too fast for LB to cover, and big enough to run through S and CB.

Needs work on his route running. Is fine for a college guy, but needs to refine it in the NFL. Tends to be used as a blitz and press beater, and can disappear against teams that slow play him. Defenses lose him a lot because he lines up everywhere.

If we took him as a 3rd down back, as well as a bit of a utility player on other downs. Put him in the slot, use him on quick sweeps, bubble screens, and then just regular 3rd down stuff. He is smart enough and appears to see the field well enough to pick up bltizers and then cause mismatches vs LB and S in coverage. Not a Sproles or Woodhead quickness type 3rd down back, but has the acceleration/size/speed/hands to make plays in the passing game.
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

If he can't spell Gordon or amount to a change of pace RB could he beat out Watt? At 5'11" could he spell Hunter Henrey for a game or three?

I think the disposition of Gordon's contract and injury history makes it to our advantage to get a RB that can potentialy take over his roll if nessisary. That said I like his flexibility and options he can offer Rivers.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
      Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
      • Jun 2013
      • Palm Springs
      • I know nothing
      • Send PM

Not similar to Jacob Hester I hope?

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

I picked him in my last Draft Sim.
        Do I get any points for that?

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I prefer a guy that could actually spell Gordon. We have an excellent 3rd down back in eckeler already. He was a very useful piece in college, but I think he has a short career as a ST coverage guy and emergency fill in at best.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

I really like the idea of a 3rd down RB who could pass protect, but also catch.
              Yeah, if he can do those better than what we have, sign me up!
              Anything else I would see as a bonus.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                  Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Palm Springs
                  • I know nothing
                  • Send PM

Do you think that the new rule about all players, including running backs, not lowering their head might minimize the effectiveness of punishing
                  running backs

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Panamamike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I do not believe that will be the case when the wording is finished.
                • Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I like a late rd or udfa guy lto Smith from S Miss. Can catch the ball too.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Ekeler has potential as a 3rd down back. He reminds me of another slashing, super quick, instant separation type of receivers that Sproles and Woodhead were. He is a great fit as a receiver, but that is not the issue. We converted very few 3rd downs after teams realized they could simply blitz him and get to Rivers before he could get out in the route.

The biggest problem with our offense is against teams that blitz us. We did a decent job of man on man protection last year. Teams that liked to stunt gave Pulley trouble, and that shouldn't be an issue with Pouncey. But what if they bring 6 guys. Teams double up on Allen, press Benjamin, Henry and T. Williams, and it is all up to how quickly Rivers can get rid of the ball. Benjamin and T. Williams are not very good at beating press coverage. Henry can depend on who he is playing against, but if the DE on his side gives a chuck and passes him off to a S, or even a physical LB, he takes some time to separate too. Then it all comes down to Ekeler picking up that man. That is the 3rd down backs job, since he can adjust to the blitzer, wherever he comes from. But Ekeler does a poor job of recognizing it and Rivers gets hit a lot and is forced to just throw the ball away.

In the past, yes, just wait and see if he develops. Not a bad plan if you have more holes to fill than draft picks. We don't have so many holes this season. Every one that we do have holds us back more. 3rd down backs are going to draw LB in coverage, and there are very few LB who can consistently cover Samuels. Plus Samuels does such a good job of recognizing things and adjusting correctly. Unfortunately, college teams tend to not face the more complicated blitzes and don't ask their RB to adjust and pick up the blitz in as many different protections as NFL teams do.

I hope Ekeler is spending a lot of extra time watching film and working on that. The funny thing is that if he could pick up the blitz, teams would almost be forced to stop blitzing us altogether. When we went 13-3 (under Norv), teams started attacking us with blitzes coming from every angle. Once the pass protection got sorted out, and we gave Rivers the extra half a second or so, we started killing teams and we faced, very, very few blitzes the rest of the way. it wasn't until the Jets in the playoffs that we saw any real blitzing. And we lost mostly because their coverage was good (and we couldn't get them off the field on 3rd down).

Even if Ekeler turns into a great 3rd down back, which isn't a sure thing, I still think Samuels would be a good slash type of player who could do a lot of things to help. His ability to do everything has held him back some, because they do ask him to do so many different things. If we could get him to work closely enough with the QB, Rivers is the kinda guy who could really get a lot out of him.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Year 1 to year 2, players have great improvement. I expect Ekeler to be a big producer this year.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                      X