• Show
Clear All
  • Sgt Schultz
    Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
    • Jun 2013
    • Palm Springs
    • I know nothing
    • Send PM

I just listened to a Ross Tucker interview with an analytics guy who said that a third down back's first duty is to pass block. He said that passes to the back on 3rd down had the worst success rate of any play. So I see where a better pass protector is more important

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

There is a coaching saying that you cannot run a play that you cannot block. And that doesn't just mean blocking the down DL, it means blocking the players that come at your, no matter who it is. You can get away throwing hot, or screening at the free blitz, but you can only do those options so many times. You could run out of those sort of tactical options in a single drive and then you are screwed.

The analytics thing is too general. I don't doubt that it is generally true, but who cares. What I want to know is if it is an option for the Chargers. If you have RB who is a good receiver and you try and just force the ball to them too quickly, the defender is laying in wait and tackles the RB for a loss. RB are always the part of pass protection because they can adjust to where the blitz comes. If the LG is the only uncovered blocker, but the blitzing defender comes on the right side of the OL, then you can't always take advantage of it. The RB can easily move over the formation and get a guy, even if he lines up on the left side.

If you remember, our offense has always been at it's best when we have had a back like Woodhead or Sproles as a 3rd down back. Lost in that has been that we have also had good options at Wr and TE, and Rivers is the right guy to beat a blitz (quick release) if the players around him can give him enough help. A complete 3rd down back who picks up an overload blitz gives us a multiple one on one situations downfield. At that point, it is just making sure that Rivers has the time to step into his pass and deliver. Last year Pulley had a major problem with stunts and delayed blitzes, but that isn't going to be an issue with Pouncey. KC is going to have to find something else to do to than just blitz and stunt over the left middle of our OL on every pass play.

Like I said before, adding Samuels gives us a slash type player who is still useful even if Ekeler develops into the ideal 3rd down back. Samuels is a solid backup RB who can be a slashing runner, who is bigger than anyone we have on the roster now. Change of pace RB. The slot receiver thing is another way to get him the ball. And he can return kicks. Plus, it never hurts to have a 2nd 3rd down back, even if he is clearly the backup to Ekeler.
      Last edited by Steve; 03-29-2018, 02:43 AM.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

In looking at the roster, if we do not bring back Gates we will need a backup pass catching TE in case HH goes down but I can not het over the 5'11" thing. Can he chip a DE/OLBr as well as a 6'3+ 250# TE? If we have to draft a TE and RB/Returner along with this guy I'm not sure he would fill enough needs to justify him as a draft pick. It depends on if we want to put some pressure on Gordon or want insurance in case he wants to hit free agency.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

He isn't a TE. He is probably not going to throw a better chip block than a 250 lb TE. He can probably do it well enough, but not as well as a classic position. But most TE we would want to draft, or sign off the street would not be a very good receiver either. People are putting that label on Samuels, but that is because he lines up like that in college. He is not a TE and there is no way we could use him like that.

When I say Hback, think more of a Larry Centers, pass catching FB type. He is never going to be the big powerful lead blocker to play FB in the traditional sense, but he is an athletic guy who can be more than just a RB.

Samuels is a bit of a project as a true RB. They lined him up at FB, TE, RB and wildcat QB at South Carolina. I think he would be a decent change of pace RB, as well as push Ekeler for the 3rd down back role. But he is a bit of a developmental type guy for either role.

What makes him special in my eyes is that he can beat press coverage with his athletic ability, with his quickness or just pure power. He is very difficult to defend with a S or LB trying to press him. That is a something that maybe Ekeler can develop into, but Samuels can do. And the USC coaches rave about how fast he learns things, so there is a good chance he can pick up the pass protection thing as a 3rd down back. But Samuels is not going to step in and replace a starter at any position. He is a project.

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Good guy to grab in the sixth round
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...