I know we don't need a TE, but cool story.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

I know we don't need a TE, but cool story.

Dallas Goedert (South Dakota State Jackrabbit!)

Cool article on ESPN <-----Link

AND, the Chargers did send their TE coach to Brookings, SD to watch his pro day.

But read the article... it's good. And take the time to watch the embedded clips... they aren't long. He's a freak of an athlete. All State BB player in HS too (not mentioned in the article)
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Good stuff

The one-handed-catch wonder is projected to be the first tight end off the board. How he even got to South Dakota State is a testament to chance.

Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Another article on TE's and mentioning Goedert, specifically.

So what if first-round NFL tight ends have offered mixed returns for most of the past decade? The position’s draft stock is suddenly on the rise again—and that bodes well for Mike Gesicki and Dallas Goedert.

Comment

• chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
        • Send PM

If he pronounces the last name as Joe Dirt, i say draft him.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

Dalas "God" ert. lol.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Haven't resigned Gates, I'd say we need a TE.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Dallas postgame.jpg
              Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              Haven't resigned Gates, I'd say we need a TE.
              I haven't bought a jersey in years, but if the Chargers ended up with Goedert, that would change. This picture is with my kid after SDSU won their home playoff game in 2016.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

If you're talking need, then TE is not going to be a pick. Given the depth we have at WR, TE won't get on the field that much. Rivers is so good when teams are spread out, and the speed we have at WR make the 11 personnel group pretty strong for us.

The flip side is that I really don't think we draft for need. You can point to it all you want, but our personnel moves since TT took over as GM have us taking positions that are not really needs in the draft. In that sense, adding another TE for depth and to flesh out a 12 personnel group is not a bad idea. Goedert and Gesicki are not horrible blockers (at least by today's standards) and we already have some TE who can block (including Henry). It only makes sense if we want to commit to it, but if we do, there are a lot of ways to get mismatches as blockers and receivers with 2 or even 3 TE. Goedert and Gesicki are both developmental prospects, but they do enough stuff to get on the field right away.

12 personnel is just another reason why you don't want to spend too much time in the base D or even nickel personnel these days. Guys like Kelcie and Harris will destroy LB, and then add in Hunt as a receiver (or outside runner) and it makes matchups virtually impossible. But adding a bigger S who can play like a LB and you have a dime D that can still play 8 in the box vs the run and has the speed and agility to matchup vs TE and RB in the passing game. And since most teams don't have 2 receiving TE, it actually gives us a mismatch in the passing game.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

I just want to add, that I do not think there is any universe in which the Chargers are drafting him. I just love the kid.

I do think it would be good for the chargers to look at his teammate Weineke at Wideout, late in the draft... we all saw what Cooper Kupp did on the Rams last year. Well, the 2 most dominant WR's in the FCS the past four years have been Weineke and Cupp. The funny thing is see UNI's Fountain as a mid round pick, because he's faster, I guess. And he isn't half the player that Weineke is. (Weineke also was a bit "down" as a senior... but he's as good of a WR as you will see coming out of the FCS.)

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

The common thread between Philly and KC..... both were forced to go throw to their TE a lot last year (and even this year to a degree) because of their weakness at WR. We have a former 1st round pick who is not even starting. T. Williams struggled some early, but really stepped up as the season came on. So did Benjamin. I think M. Williams will too, depending on how much he can get on the field.

I just don't see taking a TE, even the best TE in the draft class as being any kind of a priority. It is the kind of thing I can see us doing if we were weak at WR, but not now. Rivers does such a great job in spread situations, and M. Williams gives us some of that size mismatch stuff if you put him in the slot, so unless one of these TE (or Hurst from the other USC).

Lynn and Wisenhunt both like to use a fair number of multiple TE formations, but they are not mismatch guys. Their backup TE are just extra blockers. We have TE who could do a little here and there, but we won't get rich throwing it to them.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍