X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tommy Tabasco with the BURN

Was watching the NFL Network this morning, and saw Telesco's response to Mayfield not studying our playbook before his visit with us. They called him Tom Tabasco, which I thought was pretty funny.

Tom Telesco has no time for questions about Baker Mayfield not having time to study playbook

Last week, comments emerged from Baker MayfieldSports IllustratedLos Angeles Times
    Last week, comments emerged from Baker Mayfield regarding his meeting with the Chargers, and his admitted lack of knowledge about their playbook. This week, Chargers G.M. Tom Telesco had the perfect response to Mayfield's remarks.
  • WindsorUK
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Windsor, U.K.
    • Send PM

I'm with Mayfield on this one: does anyone in entire football universe believe the Bolts will select him? Didn't think so.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      We may not, but it seems like the kid doesn't realize that teams can trade up, and he may have hurt himself with other teams by making the comment that a team wasn't really important to him.
  • Screeme
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
    I'm with Mayfield on this one: does anyone in entire football universe believe the Bolts will select him? Didn't think so.
    I think it's short sighted. I understand he thinks he's going top ten, so a visit with the Chargers doesn't seem like a high priority. But, you never know where your career will take you, and what relationships you'll need to foster. Look at Sam Bradford.. top pick, injury prone, but a decent QB when he's right.. has now worked for several teams. Leaving a bad taste in a GM's, OC, HC's mouth, even if it doesn't seem important now, just doesn't seem very smart

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

No offense. Denver. Kinda matches.

Comment

• Screeme
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I should mention, I think the teams understand what is "on the plate" of a top QB draft pick. Telesco always does due diligence on QB's, including the top picks. So, it shows a lot of arrogance and immaturity by Mayfield, to me.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

I don't care. The Chargers aren't drafting him. He'll be somebody else's problem.

He's not Russell Wilson. I keep hearing the Drew Brees comparisons, but Brees was humble and didn't go on the air and talk about how "competitive" he is.

And, even Brees wasn't Brees until he played a few years... good luck with Baker being patient for a few years.

Maybe he'll be great, and prove me wrong, but I don't think he's going to be a star.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• foreigner
            Tom Telesco is gone
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

Leaf's signs all over the place.. agreed, we won't draft him, agreed Tommy Tabasco is doing his due dilligence (I admit it, that is the ultimate Pro), but what if he Chargers organization decides its time to move on and sign the QB of the Future? What would happen when the team that drafts him comes to play to LA? (Its still very difficult not to write SD), very immature. Leaf all over again.

Namath can have him and have a 69 with him all day long.

Comment

• WindsorUK
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Windsor, U.K.
              • Send PM

You guys are probably right, as I wouldn't take him either. He'll be someone else's problem.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

That just says a lot about his focus and going the extra mile. You think Rivers or Rodgers or Brady or any other QB like that would go into an interview unprepared?

Comment

• Screeme
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Tommy Tobasco is a great nickname, btw.. it needs to stick.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

I think people are reading too much into this. Right or wrong, Mayfield says he was studying other teams playbooks. There is only so much of this stuff you can cram in day in and day out and retain any of it. Mayfield is hoping he can be a top pick. It is worth his time and energy to try and prioritize those teams over us. I am fine with it. But that being said, I am not in love with Mayfield, so if he pisses off TT, I'm good with it. I still like Lauletta better than the 1st round picks. As in if I HAD to pick a QB in the 1st round, it would be Lauletta even if all the other QB were on the board.

As good as everyone likes this draft class, there is a fair chance that all of them end up being busts. I think they all need to sit and learn, build up their bodies and learn the NFL game, and if they don't, it is going to be hard to overcome. Just saying, teams will be stupid and play them before they have fixed their mechanical problems, before their bodies can stand the pounding and before they have the support system around them to be successful. NFL teams have pretty much always made that sort of mistake, and they don't seem to have learned anything from it.

Mayfield isn't the classic QB prospect to go super high in the draft. I saw Leaf doing a comparison and mentioned that he thinks Mayfield is a 2nd-day pick because Brees and Wilson would be 2nd day picks in today's draft. Of course, that is using conventional scouting wisdom. Leaf was forgetting that conventional scouting wisdom has guys like Leaf going 2nd overall, and good to great QB going in day 2 and 3 of the draft (Brees, Wilson, Brady....). I am not convinced that Leaf has learned anything from draft mistakes made in the past.

I keep listening to all these draft gurus like Mayock and Kiper and wondering how much they change their view of players, schemes and draft values from year to year to incorporate what they have learned. I really don't think they learn anything from their past failures are talent evaluators. Ever since I was the guy who didn't want Leaf .... I thought Andre Wadsworth was the obvious choice...... (so I may be the only person in the country to have favored an even worse choice than Ryan Leaf)........ I look at the guys I like every year and evaluate them both as rookies and as they go through their careers. I adjust them looking at the best careers and try and pick what makes them great, and then look for that in others.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                      WindsorUK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Okay, I admit, I preferred Wadsworth as well. We can now share in each others shame
                  • vinabolt
                    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                    • Feb 2015
                    • Send PM

The problem isn't about his decision on what playbooks to study more and what to study less. The problem is that he actually made commend on that and made it sounds like he's a lazy bum who were unprepare in meeting with teams. It shows his tendency to act/speak before thinking. So this could develop into more long term problem down the road in his pro career. Media guys are licking their chops whenever they see him. I'd bet other QBs are priprotize their playbook study too but they were smart enough to keep quiet and weren't telling the whole world about it.
                    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Steve
                      Steve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      He and the rest of the somewhat flawed guys can stuggle as they get thrown into the fire way too soon.
                  Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎