• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandiego17
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
    Us fans have a right to be disgruntled and take it out on the team. Sorry PR, I won't root against you personally but if you throw that pick 6 to lose I will be happy. Not for your stumble but because that's the seat I sit in now.
    I get both views. I get rooting against the team and I get sticking with the team. What sucks is that this move will split a pretty solid fraternity of San Diego Charger fans. I do think the majority of the fraternity will side with F them and F Spanos, but still, what once brought the community together is split and can never be the same. All to go to a city that doesn't even want them. Will never forgive the Spani, the politicians or those San Diegans that were pining for the team to move. All are complicit IMO.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TABF View Post
      Last night I had a talk with a long time friend/mentor and fellow San Diego Charger fan. This is after I wrote a post proclaiming that rooting for the LA Chargers is what Dean wants and justifies the move. Last week, I also changed my handle to proclaim my anti-LA stance...

After writing my aforementioned post and then reading Blazing Bolt and Richs response in that thread, I spoke with my long time friend.

I started to step off my soap box and see it from a different angle... Then I read this post w/Hardwick taking a stance and my outlook trends towards the anti fan again...

Could there be a spot for a fan that has no idea what to do? A spot for a person who in the end really wants Rivers and Gates to finish on top, but wants no success for the ownership group? I know but one way to be a fan and that is ALL-IN.

Torn to say the least and feel a lil hypocritical as well.

In the scheme of life this should mean nothing...but somehow it really does!

Dang-

Wish they would have gone full SoCal...its not too late!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      take a chill pill dude! Why are people putting all this pressure on themselves to make some life changing/affirming decision NOW? The choice has been made so we have finality- and I hate the Spanii more than ever if that's possible. But you know what? I can still read and post here with friends about shit other than what the team is doing all the way up until next season before I even have to think about whether to follow the team. I'm not going to make any attempt to follow them (or care) until it's game 1 next season- then I'll dip my little toe in and catch a little TV if it's convenient or some radio broadcast if I'm driving between CA & CO to see if anything has changed ON THE FIELD. THEN, based on what I'm seeing and hearing I'll decide if they warrant more of my time and attention (but NOT my $). If things really do look changed for the better ON THE FIELD and they look competitive, I'll follow along out of morbid curiosity. However, if It's more of the same with coaching blunders, lousy ST, shit OL, chaotic defense- then I'll go back into "I don't give a shit" mode I've been in since the 3rd year of NOrv.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Wheels
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
        I get both views. I get rooting against the team and I get sticking with the team. What sucks is that this move will split a pretty solid fraternity of San Diego Charger fans. I do think the majority of the fraternity will side with F them and F Spanos, but still, what once brought the community together is split and can never be the same. All to go to a city that doesn't even want them. Will never forgive the Spani, the politicians or those San Diegans that were pining for the team to move. All are complicit IMO.

If we're assigning blame, then Spanos family should shoulder at least 90%. I have little doubt a sincere effort to get a new MV stadium built would have worked. Clearly that was the Spanos' fear, and why they torpedoed MV at every turn. Measure C was a joke. Blaming everyone who didn't fully get behind that charade seems misplaced, IMO.

Jim Steeg was on the radio this morning. When asked about the jumbotron comments by John Spanos, he brought up the fact in the early 2000's, when he was working for the Chargers, he had very good connections with Sony and could've likely gotten a great deal on a new jumbo tron. Spanos told him then not to pursue it, because they didn't think they'd be in SD for very long.

Steeg also brought up the fact that when CSAG was being formed, the Spanos' requested that Steve Cushman not be on the committee. To which the mayor had agreed, and it was settled. Then the Chargers threw a fit in the media about Cush being on the Committee. A direct attempt to undermine CSAG's credibility.
        Last edited by Wheels; 01-19-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• Foxbatkllr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
          If we're assigning blame, then Spanos family should shoulder at least 90%. I have little doubt a sincere effort to get a new MV stadium built would have worked. Clearly that was the Spanos' fear, and why they torpedoed MV at every turn. Measure C was a joke. Blaming everyone who didn't fully get behind that charade seems misplaced, IMO.

Jim Steeg was on the radio this morning. When asked about the jumbotron comments by John Spanos, he brought up the fact in the early 2000's, when he was working for the Chargers, he had very good connections with Sony and could've likely gotten a great deal on a new jumbo tron. Spanos told him then not to pursue it, because they didn't think they'd be in SD for very long.

Steeg also brought up the fact that when CSAG was being formed, the Spanos' requested that Steve Cushman not be on the committee. To which the mayor had agreed, and it was settled. Then the Chargers threw a fit in the media about Cush being on the Committee. A direct attempt to undermine CSAG's credibility.

Pretty much my view. I said a while ago before they actually moved that if they really tried to stay in SD, exhausted all of their options and voters rejected it then I would still root for them in LA. However, Measure C never had a chance of passing and they burned all of their bridges in SD so I cannot support them. They shoulder the vast majority of the blame because its apparent they didn't really try all that hard to stay, they had one foot out the door the whole time.

Comment

• FiftyFive
            Dean Spanos is a traitor!
            • Dec 2014
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
            Speak for yourself. I don't blame the politicians one bit. They were victims of the Spanoses' scam just like everyone else. As much as people want to blame them, the city is still the only side that actually put a feasible proposal together in the last 17 years. The CSAG's plan was so good that Deano had to shut it down immediately, since it would have easily passed a public vote and he would have been stuck in San Diego instead of his beloved LA. The city held their nose and paid for a full renovation of the Q. The city signed on to a ticket guarantee deal that everyone knew was a raw deal. The city made sacrifices to keep the team in town and the Spanos family was never willing to do the same in return.

The move is 80% Dean's fault, 20% Alex's fault, and 0% anyone else's fault.
            Last edited by FiftyFive; 01-19-2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by FiftyFive View Post
              Speak for yourself. I don't blame the politicians one bit. They were victims of the Spanoses' scam just like everyone else. As much as people want to blame them, the city is still the only side that actually put a feasible proposal together in the last 17 years. The CSAG's plan was so good that Deano had to shut it down immediately, since it would have easily passed a public vote and he would have been stuck in San Diego instead of his beloved LA. The city held their nose and paid for a full renovation of the Q. The city signed on to a ticket guarantee deal that everyone knew was a raw deal. The city made sacrifices to keep the team in town and the Spanos family was never willing to do the same in return.

The move is 80% Dean's fault, 20% Alex's fault, and 0% anyone else's fault.
              I am speaking for myself, used both I and IMO, did you miss that? And I could blame whoever the fuck I want to blame and I blame all of them. I don't think Aguirre, Frye and the wonder morons cate and sherman are guiltless. You may. I don't. Lets see if this competent group can get anything accomplished going forward. Faulconer promised contiguous expansion, lets see.

Also, CSAG's plan was so good that it was ignored by Faulconer and Roberts as well. What part of CSAG's plan was in the mayor's proposal besides Mission Valley?

Comment

• sandiego17
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                Don't get me wrong, Spanos deserves the lions share of the blame, he deserves it and should get it, I agree. I don't blame those that didn't get behind C for any number of reasons. Some people are against any tax subsidy going to finance a stadium. I get that and I don't blame those people one iota, just completely disagree with them. Some people would vote against pretty much any tax increase. Don't blame them either. Some people were pining for the team to move and spread all kinds of bullshit and misinformation. Guys like the wife beater and his ilk, they can suck it. IMO.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

I would love to see the Charger$ add Lee "everybody into the pattern!" Hacksaw Hamilton back to the broadcast team. LA deserves the absolute very best the Spanii can afford to win over fans! Fight for SmeLLA!
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
                  X