• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

The Return Of XFL

LOL i bet SD get's a team and its sold here as some big deal for the city. Like a huge win.

​​​​​​WWE chairman Vince McMahon has confirmed he will be relaunching the XFL, and says he hopes to have the league off the ground by January 2020.

The resurrected league will kick off near the end of the NFL playoffs and feature eight teams and 10 games. Unlike the first time he launched the XFL, McMahon went to great pains to say he's not trying to compete with the NFL. McMahon also said he will be placing an emphasis on having a faster game. With the concussion crisis still raging, it would seem to be an unideal time to launch a new football league but there should be no shortage of aspiring players for McMahon's experiment.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I like the idea of starting after the end of the NFL playoffs, as it might allow those players who stand out a chance to sign on to a team before training camp. As long as it doesn't compete against the NFL or NCAA football, there will be people who watch it. Obviously SD would be a target city, as well as cities like Orlando, San Antonio, St Louis who may want a pro team. I liked some of the XFL.

Comment

• chris9341
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

I know this will sound crazy but if Vince McMahon and the NFL were smart they would join forces and have the XFL be a minor league to the NFL. Think about it there are so many players who hardly play because they are so far down the depth chart they never play. Ok every team would have there own minor league football team where they could call up a player if they see he is doing well but like baseball they would have to send someone down. Also I think you would need to have 15 rounds in the draft. If you think about it with all the undrafted free agents that tryout with a team it's like have 15 rounds in the draft anyways. Now obviously 15 rounds spread over 4 days is to much so you spread it out over 7 days two rounds the first 6 days each then the last day would be 3 rounds. I would like to see what some of our non starters can actually do and not just watch them sparingly. Look I know this is never gonna happen but I do believe the NFL needs minor league of football to call up or send down a player. Not only that it would give a player a chance to perfect there position, a player like Sam Tevi would be perfect have him play two years in the league and after two years he should be your starting left tackle.

Comment

• bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

LOL.....fuck the XFL and asshole Vince McMahon
        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Little_Charger
          Ex-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Chula Vista, CA
          • CO
          • Send PM

Can't wait for this headline..

"SD XFL team draws more than the Chargers do in LA"
          Mission: Valley.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Agree with Bolt-O for the most part, but not all of the cities. San Antonio seems like a good one though. Try to avoid scheduling against NASCAR, and end before College ball starts and put teams in the South and Midwest.
            In the article I read, it seemed like he was interested in it as live streamable content, so maybe the size of the cities isn't as important as whether fans there would support what will be essentially a minor league team. Some place like Virginia where the Destroyers played in the UFL.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Bolt-O commented
              Editing a comment
              Hard to avoid scheduling against NASCAR, as they are only off season mid November to mid February.

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Gwynning_Spirit commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I meant like playing Saturdays where it'd be against mostly Xfinity, or in non-competing hours.

• Bolt-O
              Bolt-O commented
              Editing a comment
              That makes sense, but remember the XFL played on Saturday night in its past incarnation. There won't be as much conflict in the spring. Because of the number of teams, the XFL won't get a lot attention, so streaming makes more sense than on a major network.
          • MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

My money bets it never gets off the ground.
            sigpic

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              That makes sense, but remember the XFL played on Saturday night in its past incarnation. There won't be as much conflict in the spring. Because of the number of teams, the XFL won't get a lot attention, so streaming makes more sense than on a major network.
              Yep. And I think another part of the original XFL's problem was the decision to put teams in LA and SF; it definitely didn't help that the best team ended up being the LA team. He should probably just stay away from the West Coast in general (and Vegas would be off the table now as well).
              RIP: Xtreme, Cobras, Avengers, Kiss, Express, the Dons... throw in the Anaheim Piranhas for good measure.

ZSvHJy8.png

*New reply since I do not know how to post an image in a sub-comment.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

The SDSU Mission Valley group should work with XFL to bring a franchise to SD. The sukker city group has no commitment from any soccer league to place a franchise in SD if their initiative wins, but SDSU already has a football team to play in their new stadium and landing an XFL team means more game days and more $ to the city- and might just push their proposal over the top. It would also a be a big FU to the NFL for leaving and a chance for all the disenfranchised professional football fans in SD to get behind something to show there really IS more support for the pro game than the tales of woe from the former ownership led people to believe.

My guess is if the XFL succeeds this time, they eventually merge into the NFL as a farm team support league grooming more NFL ready players like NFL-E was supposed to be/do.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

I hope it works this time. I don't like any other sports, so it was nice having football outside of the normal season.

Comment

• bonehead
                    Undrafted
                    • Jul 2013
                    • TBD
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                    I hope it works this time. I don't like any other sports, so it was nice having football outside of the normal season.
                    The Tulsa Tornadoes??
                    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'll take it!
                  • captaind
                    Cook This Pork Chops
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Mars
                    • Ball Holder