• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargers' target market is ticket brokers

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/1...fan-experiment
    Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

remember in the run up to relocation vote, they claimed they "OWNED the LA market"? Later they claimed ~25% of season ticket sales came from North of SD County? They never provided evidence of either claim and the NFL shot down their claim to the market and it was revealed the LA ticket sales were almost all ticket brokers. So they now have a "base" of maybe 10k season ticket holders (= about 20% of previous average in SD) and the rest brokers. Sounds about right for the Traveling Shillburys.
    Chagras Got no barg!!!!!!!

Comment

Did you write this?

the myth is the heaping piles of cash.

the joke is that tv revenue money is the same in San Diego or la.

so take that out of the equation.

take team value out as well and only matters if they sell sooner rather than later.

Its an unknown.

This year ticket brokers bought tickets.

Next year they won’t.

why buy tickets if no one wants them.

concessions revenue is way down.

amd I am not even considering relocation costs.

they will make less money in la.

wasnt that the point of moving?

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Editing a comment
        Why will brokers buy fewer tix next year? Seems to me they are cleaning up. Their revenue has nothing to do with the vicissitudes of the Fux relative success or failure...

some tech genius ought to create a holographic generator that puts replicated human "fans" wearing home team colors into every seat for TV shots. The, they truly won't need actual fans in the seats at all.
      Chagras Got no barg!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
        Did you write this?
        I wish I did. I saw this coming a mile away when opposing team fans were able to fill up the Q the last couple of years, and especially when they announced their "dynamic pricing" model for selling tickets. Hopefully it all blows up in their face, but the reality is that they'll just lower ticket prices in Kroenke's stadium to a level where ticket brokers will purchase them. Same deal with Stubhub. They'll adjust their prices for those high-priced empty seats to a level that a ticket broker can handle.

The Spanos family regards the Chargers as a cash cow and nothing else. Maximum revenue for minimal effort.

the joke is that tv revenue money is the same in San Diego or la.
        The team was either going to pay $650m for a stadium in SD, or $650m to the NFL to go to LA. It's easier to rent at $1/yr than it is to actually run a stadium. Even if they'd make more money in SD, the effort involved in LA is so much less. They can spend more time on vacations and such.
        Last edited by KNSD; 10-05-2017, 10:12 AM.
        Prediction:
        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .

Comment

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
          I wish I did. I saw this coming a mile away when opposing team fans were able to fill up the Q the last couple of years, and especially when they announced their "dynamic pricing" model for selling tickets. Hopefully it all blows up in their face, but the reality is that they'll just lower ticket prices in Kroenke's stadium to a level where ticket brokers will purchase them. Same deal with Stubhub. They'll adjust their prices for those high-priced empty seats to a level that a ticket broker can handle.

The Spanos family regards the Chargers as a cash cow and nothing else. Maximum revenue for minimal effort.

The team was either going to pay $650m for a stadium in SD, or $650m to the NFL to go to LA. It's easier to rent at $1/yr than it is to actually run a stadium. Even if they'd make more money in SD, the effort involved in LA is so much less. They can spend more time on vacations and such.
          so that's there plan.

Let stan do the work. Wait for the stadium to open then sell the team.

F the NFL for letting this happen. I blame them.

Comment

Jeez, if the Spanos clan were so concerned about their effort output they could have simply delegated a highly qualified executive to run the show while they sip mai tai's around the pool. That would cost a relative pittance and achieved the desired effect. I think they truly want to run things, and see themselves as competent, but are really just plain inept, and hamstrung from the nepotism.

Comment

• SDfan
              SDfan commented
              Editing a comment
              Your last sentence nails it.

Just because the Spanos family puts forth effort doesn't mean they're trying to win. All their effort goes towards maintaining unchallenged authority over the franchise. Anyone who questions the status quo is fired. For whatever reason, they refuse to even consider the idea that anyone could be better than they are at running any aspect of the franchise. That's why the Chargers' org chart looks like the Spanos family tree.

Other owners are running professional sports franchises. The Spanii are running a mom-and-pop family business that just happens to be in the NFL.
            Last edited by FiftyFive; 10-10-2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

This is nothing new. It was clear long before the season. When the Chargers announced they had sold out their games it was obvious then that the tickets were sold to brokers. Look where they are playing for gosh sakes. Bottomline is that the only ones buying the tickets are opposing fans. The tickets sold to brokers is done so at a discount so the Chargers may have sold out the games but for a lot less than at regular gate prices. That discount is the reason the price of the tickets are among the highest in the NFL.

I've been saying it all along. It isn't this year but next year that will tell the story of their so called success. With them on track to another debacle season the demand will drop off even more locally with the bulk of the tickets being sold to opposing fans. It was clear from the Eagle game that Charger fans were outnumbered probably 2-1. They sold only about 20K tickets meaning less than 10K of the fans at the game were Charger fans. IMO that is down from previous games. The Spanos family is in deep trouble financially and can't sustain this for another 2 years IMO.

Conversly, the Rams have actually been gaining fans. The Seattle game had the Coliseum half filled at least. That means a paid attendance of well over 40K indicating an upward trend. They are a young team, who are playing competitive ball in really entertaining games. It's clear its going to come down to Seattle and the Rams in the NFCW. The Chargers are already an joke afterthought in LA.

It's clear that the Chargers are not financially viable in LA. It's equally clear that a Spanos owned Charger franchise cannot return to San Diego. It will come down to the off season next year. I doubt Spanos will have the votes to keep his franchise if they finish 5-11 or 4-12 like I think they will. Remember Spanos is the franchise owner only at the pleasure of the league. A franchise deemed to be not financially viable in their market will have to relocated or be sold. It's clear the franchise will have no where to relocated to except back to SD. I think what the league could do is use the Spanos family as an example to the other owners. Relocate at your own risk.....and it better work.

If anything is going to happen it will be next year. If Manchester and his group formally applies to purchase the franchise and guarantees a new stadium in SD, the NFL will certainly listen. An NFL is not much different than any other franchise. If the mother company wants to boot you for not performing, i.e. meeting your financial expectations they can. The Franchise belongs to the NFL and is licensed to the Spanos family. Like any other license it can be revoked and reissued. This is why an owner can't simply sell to anyone. That new owner must be voted in by the other owners.

Comment

Assuming Manchester does want to buy the team then I would be on the phone fight now with Goodell.

no time like the present.

the owners are meeting next week.

i would hit them up then.

Comment

Sterling proved that this model works in LA.
                  Dean Spanos: The new Donald Sterling.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels View Post

Jeez, if the Spanos clan were so concerned about their effort output they could have simply delegated a highly qualified executive to run the show while they sip mai tai's around the pool. That would cost a relative pittance and achieved the desired effect. I think they truly want to run things, and see themselves as competent, but are really just plain inept, and hamstrung from the nepotism.
                    Yes, the ne'er do-wells always think they are more competent than they actually are, Somehow they think they've accomplished something just bc their predecessors did. They never...ever...recognize that they are where they are bc of the efforts of others, and more importantly, the public. Somehow, they achieved what they achieved without the City and citizenry of San Diego. They are incompetent dopes. In the end they will likely profit from this endeavor just by bumbling into it. If you're lucky enough to have the cash to buy into the NFL (or Apple, for that matter) you get rich. If you don't have critical mass to get stupid rich on the basis of having cash, you think you're a genius and got there with no help. Now they need help. It'll work out whether they get it or not. But that won't stop them from thinking they are super special businessmen.

Hey, if I cast my line into a stock tank I'm gonna catch 50 fish. That doesn't make me a killer angler.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybolt View Post
                      This is nothing new. It was clear long before the season. When the Chargers announced they had sold out their games it was obvious then that the tickets were sold to brokers. Look where they are playing for gosh sakes. Bottomline is that the only ones buying the tickets are opposing fans. The tickets sold to brokers is done so at a discount so the Chargers may have sold out the games but for a lot less than at regular gate prices. That discount is the reason the price of the tickets are among the highest in the NFL.

I've been saying it all along. It isn't this year but next year that will tell the story of their so called success. With them on track to another debacle season the demand will drop off even more locally with the bulk of the tickets being sold to opposing fans. It was clear from the Eagle game that Charger fans were outnumbered probably 2-1. They sold only about 20K tickets meaning less than 10K of the fans at the game were Charger fans. IMO that is down from previous games. The Spanos family is in deep trouble financially and can't sustain this for another 2 years IMO.

Conversly, the Rams have actually been gaining fans. The Seattle game had the Coliseum half filled at least. That means a paid attendance of well over 40K indicating an upward trend. They are a young team, who are playing competitive ball in really entertaining games. It's clear its going to come down to Seattle and the Rams in the NFCW. The Chargers are already an joke afterthought in LA.

It's clear that the Chargers are not financially viable in LA. It's equally clear that a Spanos owned Charger franchise cannot return to San Diego. It will come down to the off season next year. I doubt Spanos will have the votes to keep his franchise if they finish 5-11 or 4-12 like I think they will. Remember Spanos is the franchise owner only at the pleasure of the league. A franchise deemed to be not financially viable in their market will have to relocated or be sold. It's clear the franchise will have no where to relocated to except back to SD. I think what the league could do is use the Spanos family as an example to the other owners. Relocate at your own risk.....and it better work.

If anything is going to happen it will be next year. If Manchester and his group formally applies to purchase the franchise and guarantees a new stadium in SD, the NFL will certainly listen. An NFL is not much different than any other franchise. If the mother company wants to boot you for not performing, i.e. meeting your financial expectations they can. The Franchise belongs to the NFL and is licensed to the Spanos family. Like any other license it can be revoked and reissued. This is why an owner can't simply sell to anyone. That new owner must be voted in by the other owners.
                      I don't see this kind of thinking, at all.

Look man, coming back to SD or moving somewhere else is not happening at least until they have sucked and eaten it financially in the palace. They took the SH fiasco into account when they announced the move. They are just hoping to sell enough seats at a ridiculous price until they hot the jackpot at Kroenke's House. After that they won't have to spend much at all bc so many people wanna go to the stadium. Can they even lose money in the Palace without even paying rent? Is it even possible? OK, let's say it is....it's 3-4 years there before they would even considering moving or selling. It's time to stop wishing and get real. There's no way they come home unless Spanos sells. And he's not selling until he's in the new crib for a few seasons and it still looks like this. An idiot? Yes. Persistent? Yes? Money grubbing? Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post

Look man, coming back to SD or moving somewhere else is not happening at least until they have sucked and eaten it financially in the palace. They took the SH fiasco into account when they announced the move. They are just hoping to sell enough seats at a ridiculous price until they hot the jackpot at Kroenke's House. After that they won't have to spend much at all bc so many people wanna go to the stadium. Can they even lose money in the Palace without even paying rent? Is it even possible? OK, let's say it is....it's 3-4 years there before they would even considering moving or selling. It's time to stop wishing and get real. There's no way they come home unless Spanos sells. And he's not selling until he's in the new crib for a few seasons and it still looks like this. An idiot? Yes. Persistent? Yes? Money grubbing? Yes.
                        This is probably true.

Still they are not making as much as they would have here.

It took sterling 3 decades.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post

I agree. At best, failing means embarrassment for not maximizing returns, and the optics of having an empty stadium or outnumbered home team fans. The TV revenue is the ultimate fail safe for the Spanos monkeys.

I do think, however, they won't make as much money as they would've by investing in a new stadium in San Diego. It'll take a decade to recoup the revenue streams they pinched off by cutting their fanbase by 80%, and paying back the relocation fee. I pray the TV contracts come in way lower next time they are negotiated. That would drastically change the calculus.

Comment

ok. This is not meant to start a political debate but I think is chargers related.

Originally, it was rumored that the owners were going to meet to discuss the standing/protest thing.

Now, the owners are claiming they are not going to force the players to stand.

so, why are they meeting?

I can only think it has to do with the la situation.

Goodell was at the philly game and saw how helpless the situation is....

stay tuned next week for what comes out of the meeting.

Comment

No offense, but they’’re never going back.
                              “We’ve got a good team. You see how we played for three quarters.” --Mike McCoy

Comment

they can't force the players to stand for the national anthem, but they can work out a deal where they create some sort of charity to deal with those types of issues. BTW - Chargers ain't coming back. They will sell the team at LA prices which means they stay in LA.
                                Prediction:

Comment

Working...
                                X