Five reasons im optimistic about the Chargers.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Five reasons im optimistic about the Chargers.

Five Reasons I'm Optimistic About the San Diego Chargers Offensive Line By Richard Wade on Jun 26 2013, 3:57p @RichardWade  25

A

And now a helping of optimism to wash the taste of yesterday's negativity out of your mouth. Or something. That's an unfortunate summary, but there's no going back. That's how this works. Maybe.

fter last season, it's almost difficult to even imagine feeling optimistic about the San Diego Chargers' offensive line. They were just incredibly awful and completely sunk any chances the team might have had to be successful last year. That said, today we turn our attention to the reasons for optimism along the offensive line.

1. Michael Harris will not be asked to start at left tackle

In 2012, the Chargers were forced to start an undrafted free agent rookie at left tackle. Harris played right tackle at UCLA and wasn't highly regarded coming out of school. He was the third string tackle behind both Jared Gaither and Brandyn Dombrowski both of whom were injured for most or all of the season. Harris' weakness as a pass protector forced the coaching staff to provide him with the help that previously would have been provided to Jeromey Clary on the right side. Thus he managed to weaken both sides of the line simultaneously. The team went 7-9 despite this enormous weakness. Knowing that Michael Harris likely won't play any important snaps for the 2013 Chargers is reason for optimism.

2. There are five legitimate starters

Unlike last season, this year's offensive line has real, NFL-quality players slated to start at each spot along the line. The jump in quality from Harris to Max Starks,Jeromey Clary to D.J. Fluker,and Tyronne Green to anyone not named Tyronne Green is simply enormous. While the starting guards aren't yet known, it's because there is an abundance of players capable of starting at offensive guard on the roster. This is quite a change from 2012 when there was one starting caliber guard on the roster. When healthy, the offensive line should be average or possibly better. That's not the most optimistic statement of all time, but I'm personally relieved to know it.

3. There is real depth

Tyronne Green could not make this year's team as a backup if he were still here. Michael Harris may very well not make this year's team as a backup. King Dunlap,Jeromey Clary, David Molk, Chad Rinehart, Colin Baxter, Johnnie Troutman and Rich Ohrnberger are all passable at worst. Some are already proven commodities and others have untapped potential. The line resembles A.J. Smith's stated philosophy of lining guys up three deep and letting them battle it out for snaps. It's too bad Smith had to be fired for that situation to exist along the offensive line.

4. D.J. Fluker looks like a mauler

As I stated after he was drafted,D.J. Fluker makes a lot of sense for the Chargers. The primary reason for that is that he represents a massive, massive upgrade as a run blocker. He's a huge, powerful player that plays with a relentlessness and a mean streak. You can't have enough players like that on your offensive line. He has all of the intangibles you could want in a player, but they're actually coupled with the tangible qualities needed for those to matter. He's playing out of position in the sense that he could plug in at guard right now and be a potential All Pro, but that doesn't mean he can't be an adequate to above average player at right tackle as a rookie and he hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Pro coaching could go a long way.

5. Coach D'Alessandris

"There's none better than Joe D'Alessandris; zero, zilch," said Mark Kelso, a former Buffalo Bills safety. Near as I can tell, Coach D is among the best offensive line coaches in the game. Buffalo, where he coached previously, made a drastic turnaround. They went from being one of the worst lines in the NFL to one of the best in fairly short amount of time. As it happens, the San Diego Chargers were among the worst lines in the NFL and we're all hoping D'Alessandris can repeat the trick he pulled off in Buffalo. His record suggests he can. A fresh take on the o-line isn't the only coaching change that could pay off for that unit, though. The McCoy/Whisenhunt offense will almost certainly feature fewer seven-step drops than the Turner offense did and that will also go a long, long way toward concealing the weaknesses that still exist upfront.

Conclusion (sort of)

After looking at both the positives and negatives for this unit, overall I feel pretty good about the offensive line going into 2013. I should qualify that by explaining that pretty good, for me after 2012, means "close to average." Last year's team would have killed for an average offensive line, and it looks like we'll get to watch one that is very close to that if not much better.
    Go Rivers!
  • OhioBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
    Five Reasons I'm Optimistic About the San Diego Chargers Offensive Line By Richard Wade on Jun 26 2013, 3:57p @RichardWade  25

A

And now a helping of optimism to wash the taste of yesterday's negativity out of your mouth. Or something. That's an unfortunate summary, but there's no going back. That's how this works. Maybe.

fter last season, it's almost difficult to even imagine feeling optimistic about the San Diego Chargers' offensive line. They were just incredibly awful and completely sunk any chances the team might have had to be successful last year. That said, today we turn our attention to the reasons for optimism along the offensive line.

1. Michael Harris will not be asked to start at left tackle

In 2012, the Chargers were forced to start an undrafted free agent rookie at left tackle. Harris played right tackle at UCLA and wasn't highly regarded coming out of school. He was the third string tackle behind both Jared Gaither and Brandyn Dombrowski both of whom were injured for most or all of the season. Harris' weakness as a pass protector forced the coaching staff to provide him with the help that previously would have been provided to Jeromey Clary on the right side. Thus he managed to weaken both sides of the line simultaneously. The team went 7-9 despite this enormous weakness. Knowing that Michael Harris likely won't play any important snaps for the 2013 Chargers is reason for optimism.

Unlike last season, this year's offensive line has real, NFL-quality players slated to start at each spot along the line. The jump in quality from Harris to Max Starks,Jeromey Clary to D.J. Fluker,and Tyronne Green to anyone not named Tyronne Green is simply enormous. While the starting guards aren't yet known, it's because there is an abundance of players capable of starting at offensive guard on the roster. This is quite a change from 2012 when there was one starting caliber guard on the roster. When healthy, the offensive line should be average or possibly better. That's not the most optimistic statement of all time, but I'm personally relieved to know it.

3. There is real depth

Tyronne Green could not make this year's team as a backup if he were still here. Michael Harris may very well not make this year's team as a backup. King Dunlap,Jeromey Clary, David Molk, Chad Rinehart, Colin Baxter, Johnnie Troutman and Rich Ohrnberger are all passable at worst. Some are already proven commodities and others have untapped potential. The line resembles A.J. Smith's stated philosophy of lining guys up three deep and letting them battle it out for snaps. It's too bad Smith had to be fired for that situation to exist along the offensive line.

As I stated after he was drafted,D.J. Fluker makes a lot of sense for the Chargers. The primary reason for that is that he represents a massive, massive upgrade as a run blocker. He's a huge, powerful player that plays with a relentlessness and a mean streak. You can't have enough players like that on your offensive line. He has all of the intangibles you could want in a player, but they're actually coupled with the tangible qualities needed for those to matter. He's playing out of position in the sense that he could plug in at guard right now and be a potential All Pro, but that doesn't mean he can't be an adequate to above average player at right tackle as a rookie and he hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Pro coaching could go a long way.

5. Coach D'Alessandris

"There's none better than Joe D'Alessandris; zero, zilch," said Mark Kelso, a former Buffalo Bills safety. Near as I can tell, Coach D is among the best offensive line coaches in the game. Buffalo, where he coached previously, made a drastic turnaround. They went from being one of the worst lines in the NFL to one of the best in fairly short amount of time. As it happens, the San Diego Chargers were among the worst lines in the NFL and we're all hoping D'Alessandris can repeat the trick he pulled off in Buffalo. His record suggests he can. A fresh take on the o-line isn't the only coaching change that could pay off for that unit, though. The McCoy/Whisenhunt offense will almost certainly feature fewer seven-step drops than the Turner offense did and that will also go a long, long way toward concealing the weaknesses that still exist upfront.

Conclusion (sort of)

After looking at both the positives and negatives for this unit, overall I feel pretty good about the offensive line going into 2013. I should qualify that by explaining that pretty good, for me after 2012, means "close to average." Last year's team would have killed for an average offensive line, and it looks like we'll get to watch one that is very close to that if not much better.
    3. There is real depth, I question this if one starter gets injured we well be say there isn't any real depth!

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

For me its an offensive scheme that should allow our team to be a lot more efficient. I expect drives to be longer and a little more methodical with a shorter per play attack. I dont think Rivers will have to hold onto the ball as long. Im still concerned about collapsing pockets up the middle of the OL. I think the OL will probably be used differently scheme wise to get the most bang for our buck.

Where i feel really confident is with McCoy being able to get the most out of his players by putting them in the position to be efficient.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Optimistic=close to average?
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
          THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
          Generous Donor
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Exhibit Q - we are not the Raiders
          NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Originally posted by KYBoltsFan View Post
            Exhibit Q - we are not the Raiders
            Mark it Q, Smokey!
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
              I expect drives to be longer and a little more methodical with a shorter per play attack.
              In the end, you eliminate so many zero yard plays, so many plays with negative yards, even if you only get a couple of yards, you will often come out way ahead in the end.

Plus, I think a lot of the big plays happen not on plays that are designed to generate big plays, but just off of execution. You can break the most boring dive play into the middle of the line if the RB hits the hole fast, the OL gets on their blocks quickly and the WR block downfield. And Rivers used to throw a lot of TD passes in college, just chipping away underneath, some DB would try and jump a route, and he would hit a big play downfield. I understand the thinking, but on average I think we may come out way ahead in the short term.

Where I think we will probably struggle some is with consistency on D. The lack of depth. Lack of outside pass rush.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

We're far ahead just by ditching the throw-away plays
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post

Jeromey Clary, Chad Rinehart

3. There is real depth

Jeromey Clary, Chad Rinehart

He's playing out of position in the sense that he could plug in at guard right now and be a potential All Pro, but that doesn't mean he can't be an adequate to above average player at right tackle

5. Coach D'Alessandris

"There's none better than Joe D'Alessandris; zero, zilch," said Mark Kelso, a former Buffalo Bills safety.

Conclusion (sort of)

"close to average."
                  At least he tried for optimism
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                    We're far ahead just by ditching the throw-away plays
                    We're far ahead just by ditching Norv.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Being serious, which is difficult for me, I do think the OL play or maybe I should say, results, will be better this year. The talent has been improved, everything I hear about the OL coach is high praise, the scheme should help the OL help Rivers. This is a new system, so expect some struggles. But remember, somehow, midseason, McCoy radically and I mean radically changed the Broncos offense in the Tebow season and he pulled it off. So I have high hopes.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Cannonade
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I would like to add to the optimism. Assuming better protection, even adequate protection for Rivers this year, I am looking forward to seeing how our WRs Allen and Brown develop. If Alexander can keep healthy, and the other two perform well, I think we have the potential to be dangerous and surprise a few defenses. Brown was one player I was really looking forward to watching last year before his injury. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍