ESPN Insider: Make-or-Break Season for Rivers? / Scheme Changes for the Chargers

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

ESPN Insider: Make-or-Break Season for Rivers? / Scheme Changes for the Chargers

Make-or-break season for Rivers?

June, 28, 2013

By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

There was a time not too long ago that Philip Rivers was described using that most frustrating of terms -- "elite" -- and that the San Diego Chargers' trade that sent Eli Manning to the Giants in exchange for Rivers wasn't seen as that bad of a move, despite the greater team success enjoyed by Big Blue. Unfortunately, over the past two seasons, Rivers has declined precipitously, and there's now some thought that perhaps 2013 may be his last in a Chargers uniform if the trend isn't reversed.

Veteran NFL agent Joel Corry penned a column for CBS Sports within which he identified 15 players at a "career crossroads." The N.C. State product led the list. "[Rivers] has 35 interceptions in the last two seasons. Only Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman have more interceptions during this span. In 2012, Rivers didn't top 4,000 passing yards for the first time since 2007 and was sacked a career-high 49 times."

Add to that the fact that he's going to be learning a new offense under HC Mike McCoy and OC Ken Whisenhunt, and is poised to count $15 million against the salary cap in 2014, and there's definitely pressure for him to show something this fall.

Speaking of that system, Gary Horton of ESPN Insider checked in with his thoughts on the new systems that San Diego will be running this season.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scheme changes for the Chargers

Friday, June 28, 2013

By Gary Horton
    ESPN Insider

It seems like at the beginning of every season we expect the San Diego Chargers to be an elite team with Super Bowl aspirations -- yet each year they disappoint with inconsistency and underachieving play.

Well, big changes finally came this offseason when ex-head coach Norv Turner was replaced by former Denver offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and former general manager A.J. Smith was replaced by Tom Telesco (the organization dubbed it a "needed culture change"). Both new guys are young and enthusiastic, though neither has previously served in his respective position.

After years of perceiving that San Diego's roster is stacked with good players, the reality is that the Chargers lack depth and have many veterans who aren't playing up to expectations. As a result, even though they don't want to admit it, the Chargers look like they are in a rebuilding phase, and progress may have to come gradually by building through the draft.

Given the new personnel, there will be significant scheme and philosophical changes this season in San Diego. After studying the film, here's what I expect to see on both sides of the ball in 2013.

Offense

McCoy has a solid offensive background with a reputation for being patient while also showing the ability to adjust to his players' skill sets. That certainly makes sense considering that the last two QBs he has worked with are Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning, players with very different games. In Denver, McCoy worked for a defensive-oriented head coach in John Fox, and the guess is that the Chargers will run an offense with balance and physicality that won't feature many risky plays.

The biggest key to fixing this offense is to get two players back on track -- QB Philip Rivers and RB Ryan Mathews -- both of whom are coming off disappointing 2012 seasons.

Rivers still possesses elite passing skills, but lack of mobility played a role in his 49 sacks a year ago; though you can partially blame that on a poor offensive line, Rivers' 22 turnovers, 15 interceptions and seven lost fumbles are on him. The vertical, slow-developing passing game of the past that featured seven-step drops and a lot of seam routes is out, replaced by a new short-to-intermediate passing game. Three- and five-step drops with a lot of crossing routes and a much more lateral passing game (and a "ball out quick" mentality) should help Rivers and his mediocre offensive line. Additionally, we will see less play-action, at least until defenses actually respect San Diego's run game, and the screen game will be a big part of this offense, almost serving as an extension of the run game. The Chargers also will use bunch formations to protect their WRs from being jammed at the line of scrimmage.

Speaking of the run game, the coaches would prefer to use a zone blocking scheme, but right now their personnel may be more suited to physical man blocking up front. McCoy uses a lot of one-back sets, even though he has a good fullback in Le'Ron McCain, and he also likes two-TE looks. If Mathews can give them production between the tackles and new addition Danny Woodhead can flourish as a receiver out of the backfield, especially on third down (a la Darren Sproles), this offense will be greatly improved.

The pace and efficiency of this offense should also improve with a simpler playbook featuring shotgun formation, pre-snap movement to dictate matchups and stretch plays. The Chargers' biggest goals on offense are to cut down on mistakes and increase Rivers' completion rate to 70 percent. New offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt will call the plays and let McCoy concentrate on the big picture and game management. And even though we expect this attack to be fairly basic, Whisenhunt has a knack for putting some trick plays in the playbook.

Defense

John Pagano was retained as the defensive coordinator and that probably means that the scheme in 2013 will mirror what we saw a year ago. The good news is that this is an improving defense with good young players to build around, especially with DEs Corey Liuget and Kendall Reyes. The bad news is that there are some position holes and a lack of depth on all three levels.

This is your basic 3-4 defense, and the Chargers expect their defensive line to eat blockers and stack at the point of attack, which allows their linebackers to flow to the ball and make most of the plays. Pagano seems to like a creative blitz package that can attack from anywhere on the field, but that philosophy requires man coverages -- and that has not been the strength of this secondary. As a result, the Chargers were forced to play more zone and "soft" coverages on the back end than they preferred; and with three new projected starters in the secondary this season, they may be forced to dial back their blitz package and instead rely on their pass rush to provide the necessary pressure. Pagano may change things up on occasion with some 4-3 under fronts and pre-snap movement to keep offenses off balance.

Problem areas

As we move past the new projected offensive and defensive philosophies of this coaching staff, a key area on film that San Diego needs to get resolved by the start of the season is its red zone offense and defense. Simply put, this team is not talented enough to struggle in the red zone.

On offense, San Diego converted only 22 of 47 red zone attempts, and Rivers really seems to struggle in this area as the field shrinks. Plus, the run game gave him no help close to the goal line, and the play calling didn't always seem imaginative.

On the other side of the ball, the Chargers ranked dead last in the NFL in terms of red zone defense, which is surprising considering that this unit is showing solid improvement. Opposing offenses scored on 28 of 40 chances, showing that San Diego's defense was not at its best when the field shrank and the back seven defenders were forced to play man-to-man.

Improving on both sides of the ball in the red zone will be a major goal for the Chargers as they enter training camp.
  • Savage Lizard
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Big Bear
    • Self-employed property manager.
    • Send PM

Is this a make or break season for Rivers? I have no way of knowing. If only 30 writers would write essentially the same article, maybe we would know.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Probably the most notable part of the article was showing just how bad we were in the red zone on both offense and defense. Not that it was any surprise given that we couldn't run for shit. As we have all seen in the record breaking LT days, scoring in the red zone is much, much easier if you can actually run the ball effectively. This should be their #1 priority on offense this season. Gotta be able to punch it in on the ground.

The defensive red zone %'s were also a joke. Hopefully Cox and Wright help in that regard, but Te'o is probably gonna need to have the biggest impact for us to really improve. ILB are key to red zone defense. Gotta make the correct reads and actually be able to get to the ball.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

A different set of NFL players face a crossroads for a variety reasons (age, contract, injury, off-the-field issues, etc.) each NFL season. Here's a look at some key players facing a crossroads heading into the 2013 season.

Philip Rivers (QB)-San Diego Chargers

Rivers is no longer a part of discussions about elite quarterbacks after two straight disappointing seasons. He has 35 interceptions in the last two seasons. Only Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman have more interceptions during this span. In 2012, Rivers didn't top 4,000 passing yards for the first time since 2007 and was sacked a career-high 49 times. He must adjust to a new offensive scheme since coach Norv Turner was let go after the season. If San Diego doesn't improve on last year's 7-9 record, Rivers could be a salary-cap casualty since new coach Mike McCoy and new general manager Tom Telesco don't have a vested interest in him. Rivers has a $15 million cap number and $13.8 million salary in 2014.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• MakoShark
          Disgruntled
          • Jun 2013
          • North Alabama
          • Send PM

I think Beerman nailed it. We have got to run the ball to the degree that keeps defenses honest. Running comes back to the same element that this board has been argueing about for what seems like decades. The Oline. It all starts in the trenches didn't become a cliche by accident.

In the defensive backfield I have a nagging worry that this unit will weak, not in coverage, but in run support. This is essential in the red zone. I liked Jammer's run support and tackling. Cason was average, but Jammer and Weddle provided great support and text book tackling, IMO. This could be just a stupid nagging thing on my part, but it does creep into my thoughts consistently.
          sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

More bellcow!
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• Thunder Thighs
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
              In the defensive backfield I have a nagging worry that this unit will weak, not in coverage, but in run support. This is essential in the red zone. I liked Jammer's run support and tackling. Cason was average, but Jammer and Weddle provided great support and text book tackling, IMO. This could be just a stupid nagging thing on my part, but it does creep into my thoughts consistently.
              That's a good point. Jammer was solid, for sure. Wright seems like he is an injury waiting to happen. I did like how he tackled on special teams, for the time that he played before getting hurt, so maybe that is an indication of how good he will be in run support as a starting corner. I just hope he doesn't get hurt. Cox seems okay as a tackler too from what I have read, but he also has a history of injuries. Jammer was just so dependable.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The real question about the secondary is whether or not the guys we had could hack it or not. Jammer was getting old, and even if he hadn't lost that much, was he going to in the near future? If you are a gambler, you wouldn't like the odds of that. Cason is entering his prime, but he has been incredibly inconsistent over his career. Given what he was signed for, I would have liked to have seen him signed and let him compete against Wright for a starting job. But I can understand letting him go. As far as SS goes, it is hard to find good S these days and every team is looking for the few who are any good.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Thunder Thighs View Post
                  That's a good point. Jammer was solid, for sure. Wright seems like he is an injury waiting to happen. I did like how he tackled on special teams, for the time that he played before getting hurt, so maybe that is an indication of how good he will be in run support as a starting corner. I just hope he doesn't get hurt. Cox seems okay as a tackler too from what I have read, but he also has a history of injuries. Jammer was just so dependable.
                  IIRC Wright has only had 1 injury with us in 2 years? Unfortunately it came last year in TC/Preseason when he was playing well and maybe going to challenge for a starting job or at least NB. It was one of those nagging ankle injuries that lasts basically all year when they try to play on it so they are never right the whole season. I don't think we can call Wright injury prone based on that or worry so much he will be hurt again.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

No need for team Hydra to dump Rivers so fast. Remember a headcoach struggling has a big card to play if he hasnt hand selected the QB. If we struggle for two years, year three under a new young potential filled QB will not be his last. It can be a career extender if we see improvement in other areas.
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Charged up
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Strike 3 and you're out... If Rivers doesn't perform you will definitely see the Chargers draft a QB next draft, or a FA trade. My money would be on a high draft pick.

Comment

• Thunder Thighs
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                        IIRC Wright has only had 1 injury with us in 2 years? Unfortunately it came last year in TC/Preseason when he was playing well and maybe going to challenge for a starting job or at least NB. It was one of those nagging ankle injuries that lasts basically all year when they try to play on it so they are never right the whole season. I don't think we can call Wright injury prone based on that or worry so much he will be hurt again.
                        Thanks for the scoop. I just remember not seeing Wright at all in 2011, so I assumed he was hurt then. I was pleasantly surprised with him last preseason. He doesn't seem to shy away from contact. Hopefully his special teams play will translate well to him being a good tackler as a starter.

Comment

Working...
                        X