• Show
Clear All
  • Grinners
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Gates to Bosa "Man Up" I have been there

Antonio Gates calls out No. 3 overall pick Joey Bosa, tells him to man up

The Chargers veteran tight end has some advice for the draft's No. 3 overall pick

If anyone in San Diego knows what Joey Bosa's going through right now, it's Antonio Gates.

Back in 2005, the veteran Chargerstight end didn't like the contract that the team was offering him, so he ended up holding out of training camp until late August. Things got so nasty that year that Gates ended up being suspended three games (two preseason and one regular season) after the Chargers gave him a deadline to sign their offer, which Gates didn't take.

Although Bosa isn't in the exact same situation -- Gates wasn't a rookie -- it is similar. The No. 3 overall pick is holding out, and as of right now, he doesn't plan on signing until he gets what he wants. The rookie wants the Chargers to either give him his bonus money in 2016, instead of deferring payment to March 2017, or he wants offset language taken out of his deal.

The two sides haven't spoken since July 28, and things seem to be getting uglier by the day.

(more at link)
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Great to see that Bosa is endearing himself to his teammates. And I'm not blaming Bosa, necessarily. He was just the unfortunate sap who had to get drafted by our unlovable losers. Being drafted by the Chargers is like getting a great job offer from a company that has crummy benefits, terrible bosses, and a clown prince of an owner...to go along with 50+ years of non- (or under-) performance and zero respect from others in the industry. I think I'd hold out, too.
    Last edited by QSmokey; 08-10-2016, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

Merriman and LT basically said the same thing. Be a man and get in camp, you are only hurting yourself by staying away (and over such minor BS)
      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

“Your agent works for you; remember that,” Tomlinson said Wednesday from Chargers Park. ”This is your business, but at the same time, make sure you’re in control of your own business.” LT

Both Tomlinson and Gates are represented by the same agency, CAA, that negotiates on behalf of Bosa. -Krasovic

Comment

• FiftyFive
          Dean Spanos is a traitor!
          • Dec 2014
          • Send PM

It's easy for Gates to say this when he's not the one getting nickel-and-dimed by the organization right now. As the article says, Gates held out for a long time a few years ago. As much as I respect Gates, he's being hypocritical by telling Bosa to "man up." He should just stay out of it.
          Last edited by FiftyFive; 08-11-2016, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ratenstein
            Do you think Jonas Mouton feels that way... was anyone else going to give him 2nd round money? This seems more like a top of the draft problem.

* “I’m told I can’t find one person who thought the linebacker we took in the second round who didn’t think he was a fifth- or sixth-round guy. Well, I’ve found one guy. Me. He’s a second-rounder here.” -- A.J. Smith after drafting Mouton in 2011.
            Mouton was just another in the long list of reasons why this organization gets zero respect from others in the 'industry'. They're a joke. Only the NEW Browns - the original team has four NFL championships to boast - can match the Chargers in terms of stupid decisions, choke jobs, bad drafts, and outright irrelevance.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Yeah, but it wasn't terrible for Mouton.
              He got drafted 3 rounds early and then got plenty of checks for riding pine after. So all management has to do if they want the draftees to sign when they plan to pull a cheap-out on them is draft them 3 rounds early.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Mouton was AJ's jumping the shark moment.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

Why did you guys have to remind me of Mouton?

And you don't want to offend Mr. Gates.

Comment

• Grinners
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Its my humble opinion that Rookies (that have not proven they can play at this level --so sorry for this-- Ryan Leaf as an example) need to get into camp and should have little room for negotiating the deal. It should be fair and up front for the new players but get them into camp right away. If the first 5 picks get a guaranteed amount ALL together so be it (ie Injury issues), but if it is spread out of the contract OK (work out injury details), but get them into camp. Allow the Vets to have more power over their contract/careers but the Rookies have not even played a down and are given the Golden Ticket! NFL please clarify!!!!!!!!

Comment

• KNSD
                      Registered Charger Hater
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Learned a new phrase "Concern Trolling" from Jordan Caruth (?) on 1090 tonight - See Gates/Tomlinson wrt Bosa. Why aren't they telling management to step up and pay the dude instead?
                      Prediction:
                      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                        SLAM DUNK!
                        • Jun 2013
                        • East County San Diego
                        • Bolt fanatic
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by FiftyFive View Post
                        It's easy for Gates to say this when he's not the one getting nickel-and-dimed by the organization right now. As the article says, Gates held out for a long time a few years ago. As much as I respect Gates, he's being hypocritical by telling Bosa to "man up." He should just stay out of it.
                        Maybe he is just looking at the details that are in question very publicly and is sending a message to Bosa to think if its really that important to fight over an issue that no one else on the team has a problem with.

Seems that's their opinion that they are expressing politely- Merriman, Gates, LT

These guys had negotiations over quantity of guaranteed money and I do not think they were demanding their entire bonus upfront. They see the issues Bosa is fighting over as minor.....they are minor and that's why this hold out is unprecedented. It's obsurd. I am team team not team Bosa. They are not even fighting about whether or not he is going to get paid. In my opinion they are after the offset language mostly because the two first round busts in the family, it's a way to get paid more money for sucking.
                        Last edited by BlazingBolt; 08-11-2016, 09:36 PM.
                        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

Working...
                        X