• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

What's with Gehlken?

Does it seem odd to everyone how compliant Michael Gehlken seems to be with the Chargers lately. I thought he was a reporter.

First USA Today scoops him and breaks the story that the Chargers and Bosa have resumed talks. Gehlken responds by writing an article talking about how he knew about it a week earlier but kept it quiet at the request of the team. I understand there's a give and take between beat reporters and teams so I didn't think too much of it.

Then yesterday after it's reported the Chargers airplane is in Ft. Lauderdale, he writes an article saying "pump the brakes, this is "totally unrelated to football", yadda yadda

Are we really supposed to believe that? Of all the cities in the world, the Chargers airplane just happens to be in Joey Bosa's hometown and it's just a coincidence?

C'mon Gehlken, time to start covering the team again.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
    Does it seem odd to everyone how compliant Michael Gehlken seems to be with the Chargers lately. I thought he was a reporter.

First USA Today scoops him and breaks the story that the Chargers and Bosa have resumed talks. Gehlken responds by writing an article talking about how he knew about it a week earlier but kept it quiet at the request of the team. I understand there's a give and take between beat reporters and teams so I didn't think too much of it.

Then yesterday after it's reported the Chargers airplane is in Ft. Lauderdale, he writes an article saying "pump the brakes, this is "totally unrelated to football", yadda yadda

Are we really supposed to believe that? Of all the cities in the world, the Chargers airplane just happens to be in Joey Bosa's hometown and it's just a coincidence?

C'mon Gehlken, time to start covering the team again.
    You are right. Our local sports section is a Spanos ass smooch. I suggest you use hand sanitizer after opening to that section of the paper.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by B.V.W.S.B.GM View Post
      You are right. Our local sports section is a Spanos ass smooch. I suggest you use hand sanitizer after opening to that section of the paper.
      And still Acee is locked out.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Hard to fault Gehlken for not leaking something he was asked not to. Not sure the plane thing is a big deal. He is the one local guy I actually enjoy reading and listening to.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          He is the one local guy I actually enjoy reading and listening to.
          I'll have one of what he's having...

Comment

Hard to fault Gehlken for not leaking something he was asked not to. Not sure the plane thing is a big deal. He is the one local guy I actually enjoy reading and listening to.
            I am not sure about nowadays, but, when I was a reporter, I would have been shunned from the industry if I had admitted to doing what Gehlken apparently did. If somebody had told me to hold a story, I would have told him to go fuck himself. Of course, the publishers sometimes squashed my stories due to complaints from bigwigs, but, for Gehlken to hold his own story at the request of a powerful source is, in my book, disgraceful.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I am not sure about nowadays, but, when I was a reporter, I would have been shunned from the industry if I had admitted to doing what Gehlken apparently did. If somebody had told me to hold a story, I would have told him to go fuck himself. Of course, the publishers sometimes squashed my stories due to complaints from bigwigs, but, for Gehlken to hold his own story at the request of a powerful source is, in my book, disgraceful.
              If you actually think Gehlken is somehow different than virtually every other reporter out there for not leaking off the record info than it's a damn good thing you changed professions.

Comment

If you actually think Gehlken is somehow different than virtually every other reporter out there for not leaking off the record info than it's a damn good thing you changed professions.
                You know all about journalism, I suppose.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

You know all about journalism, I suppose.
                  Do you disagree that reporters are told stuff off the record all the time?

Comment

Do you disagree that reporters are told stuff off the record all the time?
                    All the time? No.
                    Sometimes, yes. And, if it is newsworthy, a real reporter would do his best to find the info via another source. He damn sure would not withhold a story.

Comment

• Kyle
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

All the time? No.
                      Sometimes, yes. And, if it is newsworthy, a real reporter would do his best to find the info via another source. He damn sure would not withhold a story.
                      I used to be in TV news which maybe is a different animal than print, but we would rarely hold back a story. I get it... Gehlken needs access to be a beat reporter, so a little give and take is in order, but the last few weeks seemed more like he was a PR guy than a reporter. Asking the public to believe that airplane,just happened to be in Bosa's hometown was ridiculous. As soon as Bosa declined the offer, the plane was en route to CA.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                        I used to be in TV news which maybe is a different animal than print, but we would rarely hold back a story. I get it... Gehlken needs access to be a beat reporter, so a little give and take is in order, but the last few weeks seemed more like he was a PR guy than a reporter. Asking the public to believe that airplane,just happened to be in Bosa's hometown was ridiculous. As soon as Bosa declined the offer, the plane was en route to CA.
                        But what would we know about journalism, Kyle?

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍