Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Fred View Post
    Sorry BVWSBGM, I was an aspiring Journalist when I joined the Army in 1982. It was my M.O.S. but I never completed the course though. So now I ask inane generalized questions in hijacking a thread about one of our sportswriters. Sorry!
    It is a good question. I just do not know the answer.
    There is a lot of great journalism today. Check out just about any Afghan War story of late. Holy shit. I could never pull any of that news reporting off. Those motherfuckers got balls even Atlas couldn't hold.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by B.V.W.S.B.GM View Post
      It is a good question. I just do not know the answer.
      There is a lot of great journalism today. Check out just about any Afghan War story of late. Holy shit. I could never pull any of that news reporting off. Those motherfuckers got balls even Atlas couldn't hold.
      I don't know how they do that day after day with all that killing. They are hero's. I agree with you! Huge balls. And they're in the line of fire and even killed.
      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

I guess what I was trying to get at before was that having many news sources available can pressure a journalist into being a bit of a kiss-ass. Because it won't take much for your coveted news target (Chargers) to quit giving you information and they instead go to another source.
        The U-T, the Union, the Tribune, and whatever that green midday paper was called has had a kiss-ass sports section since at least the 80s. Check out the stories from when Fouts was holding out.

The only Chargers writer I read who had any sack was McGee.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

The U-T, the Union, the Tribune, and whatever that green midday paper was called has had a kiss-ass sports section since at least the 80s. Check out the stories from when Fouts was holding out.

The only Chargers writer I read who had any sack was McGee.

That was the Evening Tribune. I used to work for the Union/Tribune back in the 80's. Swamper/paper-handler.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

That was the Evening Tribune. I used to work for the Union/Tribune back in the 80's. Swamper/paper-handler.
            I delivered the L.A. Times.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

I delivered the L.A. Times.
              Did you ever go into the basement of the Times and see the huge presses and paper rolls?

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Did you ever go into the basement of the Times and see the huge presses and paper rolls?
                No. I delivered the San Diego version. I cheated though - my dad drove me. The Times didn't have a bike route.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  I pretty much discount everything 420 says, so what's new? And you are right, I work at a software company, not as a journalist.

But there is a mighty bold assumptions here - how do you know he didn't find another source that was willing to speak on the record and nobody wanted to? I did ask a family member who is a journalist about it and he said he agreed with 420 about checking with another source, BUT a beat writer's career would be over if he violated a confidence so he likely wouldn't have done anything with something not very consequential like that. But what does he know as a practicing journalist?
                  While the point you made is true, we do not know the answer to that question, I'm wondering what kind of source he had that told him the Chargers plane in Florida had nothing to do with Bosa, all the while it was revealed they were in Florida negotiating with him? The assumption, I guess, is there were two Spanos planes in Florida, one that was simply refueling and the other, parked in some secret airport, awaiting Joey Bosa (had he signed).

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

No. I delivered the San Diego version. I cheated though - my dad drove me. The Times didn't have a bike route.
                    I miss working at the U/T. I guess it's all closed up now. But I took down these huge rolls - stacked at least four high - with a modified fork-lift (more like a big clasping thing affixed to the front of the lift that raised way up to secure four high rolls) and dropped them onto a conveyor belt when needed. There were three different sizes of rolls. I loved that job. Kind of dangerous picking up and dropping down one ton rolls from way over your head and driving around simultaneously. But I loved it.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

I miss working at the U/T. I guess it's all closed up now. But I took down these huge rolls - stacked at least four high - with a modified fork-lift (more like a big clasping thing affixed to the front of the lift that raised way up to secure four high rolls) and dropped them onto a conveyor belt when needed. There were three different sizes of rolls. I loved that job. Kind of dangerous picking up and dropping down one ton rolls from way over your head and driving around simultaneously. But I loved it.
                      Keep rolling.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                        While the point you made is true, we do not know the answer to that question, I'm wondering what kind of source he had that told him the Chargers plane in Florida had nothing to do with Bosa, all the while it was revealed they were in Florida negotiating with him? The assumption, I guess, is there were two Spanos planes in Florida, one that was simply refueling and the other, parked in some secret airport, awaiting Joey Bosa (had he signed).
                        Yes, the Spanii had a decoy plane in Ft Lauderdale so prying eyes would not know their real plane was in Ft Lauderdale. Brilliant.
                        The Spanoses are truly on another plane.
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                          Does it seem odd to everyone how compliant Michael Gehlken seems to be with the Chargers lately. I thought he was a reporter.

First USA Today scoops him and breaks the story that the Chargers and Bosa have resumed talks. Gehlken responds by writing an article talking about how he knew about it a week earlier but kept it quiet at the request of the team. I understand there's a give and take between beat reporters and teams so I didn't think too much of it.

Then yesterday after it's reported the Chargers airplane is in Ft. Lauderdale, he writes an article saying "pump the brakes, this is "totally unrelated to football", yadda yadda

Are we really supposed to believe that? Of all the cities in the world, the Chargers airplane just happens to be in Joey Bosa's hometown and it's just a coincidence?

C'mon Gehlken, time to start covering the team again.
                          I would expect that if he was told something "off the record" he would be predisposed to not report it. However, saying later on that he knew about it a week earlier seems to be a bit self serving.

Comment

Working...
                          X