• Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Gorgon (not a misspelling ) needs to adjust to the Big Show. He doesn't seem comfortable and/or confident running the ball. I don't know whether it's the shitty blocking; the 'speed' of the Pro game; or what. But he just doesn't seem to have it all figured out.

Years ago, when LT was a rookie, you could just sense that he was one little juke away from breaking off a big run. His YPC in his rookie year wasn't much better than Gordon's (3.6 to 3.5), but you KNEW he was going to break out; it was just a matter of when. Gordon...I don't get that sense. I admire that he seems to be giving it his best shot; and he appears to be a good team guy (not a primadonna). But something is missing.

Comment

• chargerkdb
      Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
      • Send PM

He needs to be comfortable to know the hole is there no matter how small. RB's have to quick twitch and trust. If it's not there they instinctively try to adjust on the fly. He will get there. His natural ability didn't disappear, just his comfort level. I think team senses this too. Less shotgun, giving him a full back.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fred View Post
        I'm not Steve either but they (NFL Today people I guess) showed repeated instances of Gordon veering off from what would have been good yards. He was hesitant and when he finally got going - which was the wrong direction (away from his blocking) - he was meat. I actually saw film of this. Then I can recall Gil Brandt stating Gordon was slow on his get off. The kid wasn't using his blockers. How frustrating would that be for an o-coordinator!? It was frustrating enough for a fan (me).
        I'm not saying it's wrong, but with the way our OL was blocking last year, I don't think Gordon had any confidence to hit the hole like he was supposed to. With all the penetration we allowed DL to get on our offense, Gordon was dancing before he got to the line.

If we want him to hit his mark going full speed, make his cut and go, then the OL has to be consistent for him. THey have to keep the DL out of the backfield, and do it enough that he is not anticipating bad things happening while he is in the backfield.

Whiz has talked about using more 12 and 21 personnel groups (2 WR and either 2 RB or 2 TE), instead of just going 3 WR like we did so much last year. Some of that is just about forcing D to go toe to toe with our blockers. Some of it is that by mixing in different formations and alignments, it forces defenses to defnd the gaps differently, and that can slow them down and keep them from penetrating as much. A DE or OLB is not going to come charging upfield hard if there is a TE flexed waitng to push him past the RB. You can also force defenses to spread themselves along the line vs 2 TE.

The other part of lining up in base personnel is that makes it easier to get Gordon matched up vs a LB in pass coverage. If the TE or FB (or both) take the RB pass protection assignment, then the back can run some routes. In 3 WR sets, the RB can be easily taken out, because there is no one else in position to adjust for blitzers, so he has to stay in an pass protect. If they bring enough blitzers, they can still force Gordon to stay in, but with Allen back, and Benjamin, it gets a lot more dangerous for D to blitz enough guys, provided we have the personnel groups to give the run/pass options.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Steve, I know this is a very broad generalisation, but would you agree that it is easier or generally more eeffective to throw from a run based offense than it is to run from a passing O?
          Not talking formations, but the whole design of the O.
          I will take your answer off the air..
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• Classic
            Hall Of Fame
            • Dec 2014
            • Send PM

Gordon stinks he'll heek out 1037 yards and 5tds.

Gurley will be polishing his MVP trophy

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Gurley isn't a Charger and was gone before we picked so I don't give a flying f*** about him or how many yards he rushes for. F*** the Rams and F*** Gurley.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Time to vent this threads
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                  Steve, I know this is a very broad generalisation, but would you agree that it is easier or generally more eeffective to throw from a run based offense than it is to run from a passing O?
                  Not talking formations, but the whole design of the O.
                  I will take your answer off the air..
                  I think passing offenses often have trouble with their run blocking. They can usually do draws and stuff like that, but they can't impose their will and get yards when they need to. And I think we have been working the run O a lot harder this year. NOt that it was a done deal, but it looks a lot better than last year. It still has a ways to go to get where it needs to be (it was SOOOOOO bad last year), but I think if they keep at it.

Run based offenses also generally do better, because they wear down pass rushers and can slow the pass rush with play action. Most NFL QB are a lot more effective in any kind of passing game if they have time to throw. The crossing routes that we love to throw are not a quick passing offense. It takes time for the WR to cross the formation and lose their trailing CB. It takes time. So doing it off play action, or when the pass rushers are worn down and don't have fresh legs is a big advantage.

The other thing that I think has been lost on people who cover the NFL, Rivers has been converting more third and longs than just about anybody in football history. We face them a lot, so just in terms of pure numbers we covert just a lot of what should be a very low percentage plays. Get the running game going, and suddenly those 3rd and longs are 3rd and mediums and 3rd and shorts. That and it opens up a ton of plays and matchups for Woodhead and the rest of the crew, if they only need to get 2 or 3 yards, defenses have to spread themselves out horizontally a lot, which will give us a lot of shots down the field.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

The problem the Rams face is their QB issue and the lack of other weapons on offense. They are going to face 8 & 9 guys in the box on every play until they can throw teams out of it. They just don't have the weapons in the passing game unless their D can play a ton better than last year. If they can get a bunch of turnover and play stiffling D, they have a chance, but not a very good one.

Gurley is a very effective back, but how much can he do on his own?

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍