Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

Pre-season thoughts

Both lines looked bad. Particularly the 2nd units.
    -I'm hoping the addition of Mebane and Bosa spark the D-line a bit.
    -The OLine still looked weak, even the starters.

RB''s - I think Farrow and Watt have earned their spots, and I'd like to see Swain on the PS could fill in for either.

WR's - with the surprise cut of Jones, I think Burse has a shot, and is also a punt returner.

TE's - Hunter Henry looks fine, and we didn't see Gates, McGrath isn't too bad.

CB's - I think Mager and Steve Williams are terrible, and I'd cut them both if someone decent comes across the waiver wire. I think the 3 penciled in starters are good.

Safeties - I like McCoil, and I like Phillips.

LB's - 1st we got to see of Brown, showed good speed. Dzubnar looks ahead of Perry.

Pass Rusher/OLB - looks like Emanuel and Ingram are starting. Tourek Williams is a nobody, and I don't care for any of the other camp fodder. Hopefully they can pick someone up who can rush the passer on 3rd downs, some vet that is maybe a one trick pony.

Honestly, and I don't put much stock into the preseason. The 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in the preseason. But this is a team with some talent (Rivers, Allen, Verrett, etc...), but such poor depth that I feel another disappointing season coming on.

Before the preseason, I thought they would be in the hunt. I see a 7 win or 6 win season coming. Win some games they shouldn't, lose some games they shouldn't, and generally just another frustrating year.

I'm always a coach backer. Hell, I supported Norv, I can support anyone. But I'm not getting a good feeling. The lines get pushed around. On both sides. Against pretty much every opponent.

I'm officially worried about the team, and Coach McCoy.
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Super Bowl Championship

Comment

• captaind
      Cook This Pork Chops
      • Jun 2013
      • Mars
      • Ball Holder
      • Send PM

If we have as many injuries as we typically do, this is going to be a long season. We have some great talent in our starters, but there's a steep drop off in talent behind them. I honestly don't expect much of this coaching staff to be here this time next year.

Comment

• Geezbolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Sun Valley, ID
        • Send PM

I noticed no mention of Attaochu Coach. I'm not sure what's going on with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
          I noticed no mention of Attaochu Coach. I'm not sure what's going on with him.
          He's lazy. Chu chu, not the coach.

Comment

• RollingThunder
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Offensively we are going to surprise but in a good way. Defensively, I think is where we struggle or be mediocre.

People don't seem to understand how badly Franck Reich was hurting this team. His playcalling and the tempo of his offense was horrendous and killed momentum. It set up the line to fail, and it cascaded throughout the offense.

Getting a coach that drives good tempo and puts our players in positions to succeed despite their limitations is what defines a good coach. I think we have that now on the offensive side of the ball.

Hopefully the offense keeps the ball long enough to limit the defenses exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post
              Offensively we are going to surprise but in a good way. Defensively, I think is where we struggle or be mediocre.

People don't seem to understand how badly Franck Reich was hurting this team. His playcalling and the tempo of his offense was horrendous and killed momentum. It set up the line to fail, and it cascaded throughout the offense.

Getting a coach that drives good tempo and puts our players in positions to succeed despite their limitations is what defines a good coach. I think we have that now on the offensive side of the ball.

Hopefully the offense keeps the ball long enough to limit the defenses exposure.
              I can't fault Reich. We didn't have an offensive line at any point during his tenure as offensive coordinator. I would say our offensive line sucked, but it wasn't even good enough to suck. Like I said - it didn't even exist. There wasn't a playcall that was going to work.
              I hope our offensive line is at least fixed to the point where it is good enough to suck.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2016, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• RollingThunder
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightningwill_420 View Post
                I can't fault Reich. We didn't have an offensive line at any point during his tenure as offensive coordinator. I would say our offensive line sucked, but it wasn't even good enough to suck. Like I said - it didn't even exist. There wasn't a playcall that was going to work.
                I hope our offensive line is at least fixed to the point where it is good enough to suck.
                Wiz had the same line with less experience the previous year and made it work. He also helped Rivers come back from a couple of down years. A good coach doesn't blame the talent, he puts the talent he has in the best position to succeed. The exact antithesis of what Reich did.

This season will say a lot as to how bad Reich was as Wiz will bookend his body of work.

Comment

• KNSD
                  Registered Charger Hater
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

This is a pretty solid take.
                  Prediction:
                  Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                  Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                  Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

Wiz had the same line with less experience the previous year and made it work. He also helped Rivers come back from a couple of down years. A good coach doesn't blame the talent, he puts the talent he has in the best position to succeed. The exact antithesis of what Reich did.
                    Wiz did not have the same line - not even close. He had Clary at guard and Hardwick at center. Clary sucked as a tackle but was a pretty good guard. Hardwick was a million, no, a billion, no, infinitely better than every center that played under Reich.

Comment

• RollingThunder
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightningwill_420 View Post
                      Wiz did not have the same line - not even close. He had Clary at guard and Hardwick at center. Clary sucked as a tackle but was a pretty good guard. Hardwick was a million, no, a billion, no, infinitely better than every center that played under Reich.
                      Norv had the same/similar line as Wiz before Wiz came in as well and couldn't make it work either because he didn't play to their strengths and called long developing pass plays and predictable runs up the gut. Funnily enough, the one coach Reich reminded me of in terms of play calling was Norv. Suck ass coaches set on their systems rather than playing to the strength of their players and limitations. Peas in a pod.

Comment

Norv had the same line as Wiz before Wiz came in as well and couldn't make it work either because he didn't play to their strengths and called long developing pass plays and predictable runs up the gut. Funnily enough, the one coach Reich reminded me of in terms of play calling was Norv. Suck ass coaches set on their systems rather than playing to the strength of their players and limitations.
                        Well, I'm not going to defend Norv. Norv had the talent and, with the exception of one season and two games against Manning, was a failure.

But, if we're going down that route - Wiz had King Dunlap at left tackle while Norv, in his final year had, um?

Reich was never given a chance. He might suck - I even thought he did until I came the realization of just how pathetic the offensive line was. Too many injuries, and the guys getting injured weren't good in the first place.

The key to our offense is the offensive line. Make Rivers feel comfortable in the pocket, and we'll light up the scoreboard. Give him zero time to pass and let his backs get whacked in the backfield over and over again, and even Superman is going to falter.
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2016, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍