• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Things I Think I think

Things I think I think when I think about yesterday's game.

1. I think the Chargers don't know how to use tight ends not named Gates in the passing game. Hunter Henry has had....one target in two games? His blocking looks good and maybe that is a key to the improved running game. But why is the offense allergic to him running some routes?

2. I think this is Gates' last year. He looks like he is running in concrete. It is sad to watch.

3. I think Benjamin must be the toughest guy on the planet. He actually has NEGATIVE body fat. He is so small, so skinny. And he got absolutely rocked, hit after hit yesterday and acted like nothing happened. I think the other team loves to tackle him. It's like doing WWF with your little brother who is 8 years younger than you. You feel so powerful.

4. I think that (don't get mad friends) Woodhead getting hurt will be great for Gordon. The Chargers have to use him now and he can develop. And hopefully Woodhead has only an MCL and can come back after 4-5 games. And that will be long enough to cement Gordon and make Woodhead what he should be -- a complementary, role player back. I also think Rivers looks to Woodhead too much and this will help the offense in the long haul.

5. I think it is amazing how much difference coaching can make. Unless Slauson is the second coming of Mike Webster, all of a sudden the same OL can block. They are opening some huge holes. They pass block well. And I know all about the injuries, but even the healthy, early season OL of last year looked terrible. This line looks above average and even good sometimes.

6. I think I was not too surprised or too upset to see Addae get hurt yesterday. I don't want anyone injured, but he is not good, he puts himself and others at risk, and he cannot be counted on. So I hope he is IR'd and the Chargers go in a different direction. He works hard and all that, but is just a liability.

7. I think Jatavius Brown is going to see the field more and more and more (and he played quite a bit yesterday). I think he is an outstanding player who is only going to get better.

8. I think the tired old "best shape of my life" thing may actually be true for Flowers. This is second game in a row we are seeing the old Flowers not an old Flowers. The three corners the Chargers have are outstanding so far.

9. I think hidden in the victory because of the score and being so far behind was that the Jags still ran too effectively against the Chargers. It is frustrating. Looks like the defense has a guy locked up for a loss or short gain, he waits a split second and rips off 8-9 yards. Again and again. There were some good stops yesterday, but the run defense still needs a lot of work. And Yeldon is not the starter -- Ivory is and he was out.

10. I think the Chargers blew out two teams a lot of people are high on. Unfortunately, they let the Chiefs game slip away.

11. I also think people who are high on the Chiefs and Jags are wrong. Chiefs look like a 6-10 team. Jags will get their coach fired this year.

12. I think lots of teams are having the injury problems the Chargers are. Vikings lost Bridgewater and now Peterson. New England lost Galapagos. Cowboys lost Romo. Browns lost RG3 and McCown, but McCown came back I think. And on and on. Been watching football a long time. Cannot remember so many long term injuries as I have seen the past couple seasons.

TG
    Last edited by Heatmiser; 09-19-2016, 04:26 AM.
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • Geezbolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Sun Valley, ID
    • Send PM

Good list of thoughts. I agree totally about Jatavis Brown. He is looking like another one of those smaller conference 5th round steals. I remember TT saying on the third day of the draft when he selected Brown, he got several text messages from other GM's saying "good pick".

Comment

I just wanted to point out that Yeldon had a total of 28 rushing yards. Bortles had more with 34, and the entire team rushed for 69 yards on us.

Comment

• Heatmiser
        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
        I just wanted to point out that Yeldon had a total of 28 rushing yards. Bortles had more with 34, and the entire team rushed for 69 yards on us.
        I hear you. But how many carries? 10ish?
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
          Can't get much better than that. And we have Square and Bosa coming back soon.
          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Other than the A+ grade that was on cbssports for the Chargers, most of the media take was about how bad Gus Bradley was as a coach. I can't disagree with that, but the key for the game was not letting the Jags back into the game. They do have lots of talent, but the secondary hung in there, and Verrett shut down their best receiver.

Next game could be a shootout, but the Chargers could keep Luck on the bench. They need to get Hunter Henry involved, but he may be just blocking for now. Franklin looks like he's worth the signing... loved his hustle on the TWill TD. I don't recall that many holding calls, and it was nice to see a few offsides on Jags D for a change, vs. stupid false starts.

Comment

• OhioBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              Things I think I think when I think about yesterday's game.

1. I think the Chargers don't know how to use tight ends not named Gates in the passing game. Hunter Henry has had....one target in two games? His blocking looks good and maybe that is a key to the improved running game. But why is the offense allergic to him running some routes?

2. I think this is Gates' last year. He looks like he is running in concrete. It is sad to watch.

3. I think Benjamin must be the toughest guy on the planet. He actually has NEGATIVE body fat. He is so small, so skinny. And he got absolutely rocked, hit after hit yesterday and acted like nothing happened. I think the other team loves to tackle him. It's like doing WWF with your little brother who is 8 years younger than you. You feel so powerful.

4. I think that (don't get mad friends) Woodhead getting hurt will be great for Gordon. The Chargers have to use him now and he can develop. And hopefully Woodhead has only an MCL and can come back after 4-5 games. And that will be long enough to cement Gordon and make Woodhead what he should be -- a complementary, role player back. I also think Rivers looks to Woodhead too much and this will help the offense in the long haul.

5. I think it is amazing how much difference coaching can make. Unless Slauson is the second coming of Mike Webster, all of a sudden the same OL can block. They are opening some huge holes. They pass block well. And I know all about the injuries, but even the healthy, early season OL of last year looked terrible. This line looks above average and even good sometimes.

6. I think I was not too surprised or too upset to see Addae get hurt yesterday. I don't want anyone injured, but he is not good, he puts himself and others at risk, and he cannot be counted on. So I hope he is IR'd and the Chargers go in a different direction. He works hard and all that, but is just a liability.

7. I think Jatavius Brown is going to see the field more and more and more (and he played quite a bit yesterday). I think he is an outstanding player who is only going to get better.

8. I think the tired old "best shape of my life" thing may actually be true for Flowers. This is second game in a row we are seeing the old Flowers not an old Flowers. The three corners the Chargers have are outstanding so far.

9. I think hidden in the victory because of the score and being so far behind was that the Jags still ran too effectively against the Chargers. It is frustrating. Looks like the defense has a guy locked up for a loss or short gain, he waits a split second and rips off 8-9 yards. Again and again. There were some good stops yesterday, but the run defense still needs a lot of work. And Yeldon is not the starter -- Ivory is and he was out.

10. I think the Chargers blew out two teams a lot of people are high on. Unfortunately, they let the Chiefs game slip away.

11. I also think people who are high on the Chiefs and Jags are wrong. Chiefs look like a 6-10 team. Jags will get their coach fired this year.

12. I think lots of teams are having the injury problems the Chargers are. Vikings lost Bridgewater and now Peterson. New England lost Galapagos. Cowboys lost Romo. Browns lost RG3 and McCown, but McCown came back I think. And on and on. Been watching football a long time. Cannot remember so many long term injuries as I have seen the past couple seasons.

TG
              Point 1 I think you will see more of Henry as season progresses because of Point 2 Gates is slow, but he knows how to create space in short area 5-15 yards in space, beyond that Gates looses his effectiveness, because the space he generates between him and the defender is more than not nullified by defenders catching up to him if he has to go beyond 15 yards. Just the fact tick, tick father time Gates is going to be effective when we are within short distances near the goal line.

Point 3 you don't want Benjamin taking a lot of heavy hits period little bodies can only take so much pounding

Point 4 this should get Gordon the touches he should be getting, but it is a shame it is at the cost of Woody getting injured

Point 5 I think a big difference is Slauson, and healthy OL right now

Point 5 Brown is a player that is straight up playing on talent wait till he has full grasp of the defense.

Point 6 True everything you said I hope to see McCoil take the position and make it his

Point 8 I still need to see more out of Flowers but so far okay

Point 9 Is a wait and see, but I think the D is improved over last year and can't wait till Bosa hits the field

Point 10, 11, & 12 Agree

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

Hats off to Coach Whisenhunt - he had an excellent game plan, and was able to adapt and adjust to whatever Jax threw at us. (alot of this is because of #17 getting us in the right play).

Still, saw some really innovative formations yesterday. (One time had 3 TE's lined up to the left, 1 WR to the right) Just liked the way he's using different packages and personnel.
                Now, they need to try and throw the ball to Henry.

The secondary looked good. Verrett, Flowers, and Hayward are a great set of corners. Lets hope they can stay healthy.

Defensive front, just abused the Jax Oline all day. Bortles is very mobile, and against a less mobile qb, I think they would have had a few more sacks.

Gordon is running very hard. He is making the no yard/1 yard gains into 3-4 yard gains, and that is what a good RB does. Last year, he'd just get stuffed.

Thank Goodness for Matt Slauson, He certainly isn't the best or most talented, but he's tough. And his mentality and leadership is a big reason why the line looks better, in my opinion.

Tyrell Williams looks good, for his amount of experience. Hopefully he continues improving, with the at minimum temporary loss of Woodhead.

Concerns:
                We still get blown up in the backfield too often. The OLine is better, but still not very consistent.
                Defense... be nice if we can cover backs out of the backfield a little better. Yesterday was better than a week ago, obviously...but Jax did not look to exploit this as much as the Chiefs. Brown is already the best Cover guy.

I was taken completely by surprise yesterday. Did not expect or even think a performance like that was possible from this team.

This is what I meant earlier, when I said McCoy wasn't a terrible coach. He isn't. He can get guys ready to play. I do think he gets tight, and he retreats to playing conservatively. There are worse coaches in the league. There are certainly better coaches, but there are worse.

Anyway, after a week of grievances being aired... Kudos to the coaching staff for a good gameplan.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

On his TD run, TWilliams reminded me of...gulp!...Vincent Jackhole.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

What I enjoyed the most the first 2 games was that we came out smoking and forced the other team to adjust to what we were doing (not that the Jags seemed to had adjusted to anything). It seems in years past we had far too many games where we were the ones having to adjust what we were doing. I am guessing teams will work hard to take away our crossing routes.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      What I enjoyed the most the first 2 games was that we came out smoking and forced the other team to adjust to what we were doing (not that the Jags seemed to had adjusted to anything). It seems in years past we had far too many games where we were the ones having to adjust what we were doing. I am guessing teams will work hard to take away our crossing routes.
                      Man I can see River connecting with Williams long if they are going to jump the crossing routes with Williams taking a jab step in and then going out and up, Williams has shown quick feet and quick acceleration to make change of directions as a smaller receiver like Benjamin

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                        On his TD run, TWilliams reminded me of...gulp!...Vincent Jackhole.
                        so now you're gulping Vincent's Jackhole?
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
                        X