• Show
Clear All
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

Is Rivers still clutch?

There was a time that I really liked our chances in a tight game late in the 4th quarter with Rivers at the helm. But the last few years it seems he's just as likely to throw a game ending pick as he is to lead a comeback. Hard to find evidence of this but I did look. The following only covers up to 2012.

The List

The tables contain two parts. Columns 2-4 are for the record at fourth quarter comeback opportunities, which are defined by the offense/quarterback having possession in the fourth quarter while trailing by 1-8 points (one-score deficit).

Columns 5-7 are the overall record at all fourth quarter/overtime wins, which include games where it was only tied and the offense needed a game-winning drive. Playoffs are always included.

All the non-rookie starting quarterbacks for 2012 are included, along with several backups.

Career Records in 4th Quarter Comeback/Game-Winning Drive Opportunities

QB 4QC Wins 4QC Losses Pct. 4Q/OT Wins 4Q/OT Losses Pct.

Philip Rivers 13 28 0.317 16 29 0.356

To date Pro Football Reference credits Rivers with 22 4th quarter comeback and 26 game winning drives.

Thoughts?
    sigpic
  • KYBoltsFan
    THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
    Generous Donor
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I'd like to see what some of those other guys do with all-undrafted, pressed-into service by injury WR corps. You could tell there were tons of WR mistakes vs Miami. A couple bad decisions by Rivers, sure. But they were out of position often.
    NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by KYBoltsFan View Post
      I'd like to see what some of those other guys do with all-undrafted, pressed-into service by injury WR corps. You could tell there were tons of WR mistakes vs Miami. A couple bad decisions by Rivers, sure. But they were out of position often.
      You can really see how the WR that are playing are really out of sync with Rivers a lot of the tiem (and I'd guess they are the ones continually screwing up). I would bet Rivers would not throw nearly as many passes to Williams as he does if he had a receiver he trusted to run the right route and, the thing that REALLY bugs me about Williams, a receiver who actually comes back and fights for the ball. There have been at least 2 or 3 interceptions this year that Williams just waited for the ball instead of coming back for it and got undercut for a pick. But i's not just the WR. We also have had a bad line for years now and he is stuck with a bad coaching staff, a defense that rarely bails him out and horrible special teams. I think he feels the pressure of trying to carry the entire team and presses things at times. Like I said in the GDT, if he has a bad day we have zero chance of winning.

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

is Rivers still Dan Marino for his career? He sure isn't as good as Sheli Manning has been for the Giants.
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Rivers is constantly running for his life, sort of like Norv's last year. That said, I think it's fair to criticize and question him at this point but he really needs help, mostly from the coaches.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Can o worms thread.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Maverick
              (Coryellian)
              • Jun 2013
              • Point Loma
              • Send PM

"Is Rivers still clutch?"

yes

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

We'd have 0 wins without Rivers.Put a game manager in there and we'd have 80 yards rushing and 120 yards passing a game.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                  We'd have 0 wins without Rivers.Put a game manager in there and we'd have 80 yards rushing and 120 yards passing a game.
                  and that changes reality how exactly? We don't have any recent division championships or trips to the Super Bowl WITH Rivers either. Is Sheli a game manager type? Has he been on a primarily defensive oriented team that relies more on the running game every year than his passing his whole career? They showed a list of top 10 all time TDs by QB when Rivers tied then passed Elway at 300- and Sheli was ahead of both of them with 308 IIRC. AND he has 2 Super Bowl rings... :redface:
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• vinabolt
                    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                    • Feb 2015
                    • Send PM

When people think of Eli Manning, they think of a soft guy who always throws interceptions, the guy that was lucky, inconsistent, and was help greatly by his D, particularly the dominance of the DL/pass rush in their 2 SB runs. It's not strange or surprise to see him throwing 5 or 6 awful interceptions in a game, as he have done that a lot of time in his career.

When they think of Rivers, they think of a great passer who throws a beautiful deep ball, beautiful touch passes that stuck in SD with a terrible organization.

Just do some Googling and go to other fans forums and you'll see this general perception by most commoners.

The funny thing is NYG changed to Ben McAdoo (West Coast offense with Mike McCarthy wrinkles) was to help out Manning so he won't throw interceptions anymore, it's a quick pass dink and dunk offense, a lot of underneath stuff, yet, he's still throwing picks all over the places, lol.

This season, so far, Eli Manning is an average game manager, while Rivers is still one of the top performers in the league. Career wise and overall this season, as well as recent years, Rivers is a far better QB than Eli Manning. If NYG had Rivers, they would have a semi-dynasty there with couple more SB wins, instead of playoff drought years after years other than those 2 SB runs.

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                    is Rivers still Dan Marino for his career? He sure isn't as good as Sheli Manning has been for the Giants.
                    Last edited by vinabolt; 11-15-2016, 08:58 AM.
                    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• MakoShark
                      Disgruntled
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Alabama
                      • Send PM

I will admit there have been moments when a WR let him down, or the play calling was questionable. But Rivers has had his own moments, too. A pick in Tenn and a fumble in KC come to mind. This team does sink or swim depending on Rivers, that's the nature of the position. The question is whether he can carry the team on his back and come through in crunch time. These days I'm not so sure.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Wheels
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • San Diego
                        • Send PM

I feel like we get the shit end of comebacks on both sides. Seems we're more likely to fail on a comeback attempt, and also more likely to allow the opposition to make a comeback. I don't really blame Rivers as he fights his ass off, but he seemed to be on a better trajectory for 4th quarter comebacks earlier in his career (not coincidentally when he had more talent around him).

Comment

Working...
                        X