• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
    Things were already contentious between Weddle and McCoy -- the Chargers had put Weddle on injured reserve in Week 17, even though he thought he was healthy enough to play -- and they reached kind of a boiling point in the hot tub.

Here's what happened, according to Weddle.
    "What are you guys still doing here?" McCoy said, according to Weddle.

"We're figuring out the roster for next year," Weddle said. "And you have a lot of work to do."

Then McCoy surprised him.

"Where are you going to go next year?" he said. "Any particular team you want to go to?"
    Followed by a meeting with Telesco in which Tommy said that Weddle had a lot of mileage on his body.

====

He obviously still has a lot to give. I agree with the thought of getting rid of a guy a year early but both Rodney and Weddle have shown they weren't near done.

Didnt Weddle claim that as long as TT and McCoy were here he wouldn't return? I dont remember the situation. I thought he said that in an interview. I specially remember most of this forum being over both sides and the way they handled it. Weddles agent didnt help matters from what i remember. This place was enraged over Weddles behavior. No doubt hes a good player....but at what point is he no longer a team player here? And only thinking about himself? Didnt he chase the money anyways? No way we would have matched that offer from the Ravens.

He missed 3 games in the middle of 2015 and then we tried to trade him. Or put it out there that he was available. Everything after that just sort of went south. I think he felt that he was in a position to do whatever he wanted. Maybe he felt above the staff i dont know. But it was a pretty dramatic last year here for him. And it wasnt like he was killing it on the field for us. He was missing tackles. Missing games, He just didnt look like himself. And wanted a huge payday obviously. Its easy to look back and say we should have kept him. But he didnt go out playing at the level he is now. So my point stands....maybe he needed the drama to up his game.

You think he had something to prove? Clearly....coming out saying he will never talk with the Org again was pretty motivating obviously. Because it seemed as if both Rodney and Weddle upped their games after leaving.

Comment

• vinabolt
      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
      • Feb 2015
      • Send PM

Personality speaking, I've a hard time believe Telesco can screw over anybody. The guy is one of the nicest and reasonable guys out there. On the other hands, McCoy seems having a big ego, especially after his successful years as OC for DEN and his playoff year with us. Both McCoy and Weddle seems like big ego guys. Weddle always sounds odds and sometimes looks like a dick. He always sounds really odd and awkward on interviews.

BAL usually have good defense no matter who's in there. Weddle's performance wasn't like this during his last 2 seasons here, not even close. And it's not like he was hurt like Rodney Harrison. Rodney was playing injured all year and Marty acted like he's lazy and doesn't want to play hard.

Weddle also wasn't that consistent in BAL. There were some stretches that BAL fans cursing at him for being out of position and freelance too much. In BAL, Weddle did make a lot of big plays. But whenever they given up a big play, you know right away who fault is that and who was out of position.
      Last edited by vinabolt; 12-06-2017, 09:38 PM.
      Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Didnt Weddle claim that as long as TT and McCoy were here he wouldn't return? I dont remember the situation. I thought he said that in an interview. I specially remember most of this forum being over both sides and the way they handled it. Weddles agent didnt help matters from what i remember. This place was enraged over Weddles behavior. No doubt hes a good player....but at what point is he no longer a team player here? And only thinking about himself? Didnt he chase the money anyways? No way we would have matched that offer from the Ravens.

He missed 3 games in the middle of 2015 and then we tried to trade him. Or put it out there that he was available. Everything after that just sort of went south. I think he felt that he was in a position to do whatever he wanted. Maybe he felt above the staff i dont know. But it was a pretty dramatic last year here for him. And it wasnt like he was killing it on the field for us. He was missing tackles. Missing games, He just didnt look like himself. And wanted a huge payday obviously. Its easy to look back and say we should have kept him. But he didnt go out playing at the level he is now. So my point stands....maybe he needed the drama to up his game.

You think he had something to prove? Clearly....coming out saying he will never talk with the Org again was pretty motivating obviously. Because it seemed as if both Rodney and Weddle upped their games after leaving.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Fuck Weddle.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            Fuck Weddle.
            He went from being one of my favorite Chargers of all time to sharing your sentiments with how he acted his last year here.

Comment

• Jagged
              Jagged commented
              Editing a comment
              My sentiments also. I seem to remember that there was a feeling that he thought he was above the team.
          • Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Well its in the past. Nothing we can do about it now. Good for him for winning the award i guess. But it happens im guessing. Players go to other teams and play well. No question McCoy was terrible.

Im just glad we seem to be turning a page and looking forward as a team now. Things are looking up for us. Im finally starting to feel good about this team.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Comment

• RollingThunder
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

How's Danny Woodhead doing?

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Weddle is playing good because of the sum of the parts around him in Baltimore, Suggs, Jimmy Smith, CJ Mosely, and Tony Jefferson, I think he may be the 4th or 5th best player on their D

If Weddle was here currently with the talent we have his numbers probably would be better with Bosa, Ingram, Hayward, and Perryman, and in this group of players he maybe 4th best or 5th best.

Weddle has been a good player who was solid and he will shine brighter when supporting cast is better. Weddle probably was our best player defensive player except his last year when he played for us, but he wasn't a game changer like former safeties Ed Reed or Troy Polumua was, or current players Cam Chancellor, or Earl Thomas.

Comment

• vinabolt
                    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                    • Feb 2015
                    • Send PM

Weddle and Harrison were sort of having similar situations. But they screwed Rodney much worse than Weddle. Harrison was gutting it out playing 40% all year despite having Marty questioning his toughness all year. After he left SD Harrison never said anything bad about AJ (or the Spanos) but he badmouth Marty more than once, even on NBC Sunday Night Football.

So I would guess that it was Marty who said that I don't want those effort on my team, and AJ obliged. Probably one of the main reasons for the beginning of the downfall of their relationship (AJ vs. Marty). Harrison was an AJ type of players. AJ always like those type of players, hard worker, playmaker. The way he let Harrison go was very out of character.

Harrison before injury also playing at a higher level than Weddle. He dominated against the run and make huge plays against the pass, and very underrated, deceptively effective if we asked him to shadow a guy. Whereas Weddle just excelled at play zone and freelance. Harrison was a complete safety. Belichick asked him to do all sort of things in NE and he won 2 SBs and had a 16-0 season with them. Couldn't happened to a better guy. He deserved it.

I've been a fan of him even after he was forced out by Marty. Can't say the same with Weddle.

Also, Weddle was paid really handsomely by the Spanos, they paid him like Ed Reed, like the best safety in the game. Weddle also said things and acted like he were the best safety in the game, which was wrong but not that far off, with the prime years he had in SD.

I'd still take Rodney over him every Sunday. At their best, Rodney was just as dominant vs. the pass, and really scares guys over the middle, and probably one of the best run defense safeties in history. He forced fumbles, he led the team in interceptions, he set record for 3 different type of return for TD in a season (INT return, FUM return, onside kick return for TD in 1 season). He ..... injured WRs with crushing hits over the middle. WRs scare as hell playing us when he was here. And he play within the scheme of things, wasn't freelance and screw up out of position and got beat deep as often as Weddle. Weddle was very instinctive and his instinct led him to big plays a lot of time. But he isn't Ed Reed. There were plenty of time where he guess wrong and led to big plays for opposing offenses.
                    Last edited by vinabolt; 12-07-2017, 09:05 AM.
                    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Won't deny that Weddle is doing very well for Baltimore

But safety isn't a position I cry about losing a FA.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• whookimane
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Dont mind Weddle being gone. I always use to notice toward the end of his career with us he never appeared to embrace the younger up and coming guys on the defense. Anytime a guy like ingram or verrettt was praised and a reporter would mention them to weddle he never seemed to put his stamp of approval on them. It was always something like "Verrett played great today how important is he to the defense?" followed by weddle being something like "hes a young guy and just needs to keep working". The guy never really praised any other guy on the defense no matter what and he appeared to be one of the outsiders on the unit while everyone else appeared to be close. If you look at the defense now you can tell those guys are close especially all the dbs

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍