No announcement yet.

Chargers 3rd Round Pick: Dan Feeney, OG, Indiana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And bad for Feeney who ended up a Bolt instead of a Cheat.
    Making the push

Comment

Zone blocker only, or scheme versatile? BOTH were said about him in analysis posted here. And what blocking scheme will Chargers use under Lynn?
      Chagras Got no barg!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        Zone blocker only, or scheme versatile? BOTH were said about him in analysis posted here. And what blocking scheme will Chargers use under Lynn?
        The Bills ran a ton of power blocking with Lynn at the helm, Both Feeney and Lamp are great at pulling and getting up the field and cutting their defender, Feeney did more of this playing guard in college but Lamp too has shown he can effectively

Comment

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
          Indiana primarily runs a zone scheme but you can't be in the Big10 and not be able to run some power too. He has experience with both and had said that he is good with both. Lynn has said he wants to be 'multiple' in the run game, so I assume we will see plenty of zone and power schemes.

Comment

So has he signed yet?
            Go Rivers!

Comment

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
              So has he signed yet?
              Wondering the same thing.
              For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

I dont think Feeney is signed yet is he? I moved this thread to the main forum to discuss.
                Lele Me Ka Aeto

Comment

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  I dont think Feeney is signed yet is he? I moved this thread to the main forum to discuss.

Correct. He is the only one not signed yet

Comment

The best complimentary plays to zone runs are power. The DL/OLB come flying down the backside of the line, trying to tackle the RB from behind when they cut back on the zone run.

So, the power run tries to counter back at the guy as he comes down the line hard. Bring the OG pulling or have the RB counter step behind another pulling OL or TE.

Comment

What I've been reading is that they kind of like him at Center? That does put some wind behind the sails of those who are thinking Tuerk hasn't progressed well?
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                        What I've been reading is that they kind of like him at Center? That does put some wind behind the sails of those who are thinking Tuerk hasn't progressed well?
                        I think they like Pulley at C right now.

I see the line going into camp the following:

LT- Okung LG- Slauson C-Pulley RG- Lamp RT- Barksdale.

It will be very fluid situation through camp and preseason, but I believe that is how they will line up to start camp. I think they have Pulley ahead of Fenney because he has a year of NFL experience under his belt. That leaves Turek, Clark, Fenney, Harriston as back ups.

In the 2018 season I can see them letting Slauson walk and insert Fenney at LG

Comment

That's me. And I see no reason to tack.
                          Making the push

Comment

I don't think they necessarily like him at C, I think they were just using OTAs to see if he had any knack for the position. Outside of the rookie days I haven't heard any word about Feeney playing C, with Tuerk getting the second team reps there.

Comment

Going into last season (on paper), the only options we had at C were Tuerk and then Slausson, once we signed him. Now we have Slausson, Tuerk, Pulley, Feeney, Lamp... They have to find a way to get the best 5 guys on the field, so someone may have to play out of position. Not to mention, they may eventually find that Feeney and Lamp's best positions are not at C, similar to the way that Slausson's best spot is OG, not C.

The line will still be in flux the next couple of seasons. Okung is on a short term deal and we still need to find a replacement for Barksdale. They can start at OT for now, but that just shows how thin OT was in the draft.

Comment

I think having Okung and Barksdale as tackles penciled in now gives all the more reason to give Lamp a real shot at the RT position now. I'm not happy with Barksdale being a starter at all. We really need to build the OT talent up and I think Lamp can do it...that leaves more of an opportunity for Feeney to fight for an inside position too where we have more depth.

I'm thinking this may be where we end up.

LT Okung/Hairston
                                LG Slausson
                                Center Pulley or Tuerk....I dont care...battle it out..If Pulley has really improved from his surprise starts last year thats a plus for us. Would like Tuerk to get his chance to compete though.
                                RG Feeney hopefully gets in here but wouldnt surprise me if Tuerk is given a fair shot here too given his draft status and skills he was drafted for plus he's got the mental reps and prep over Feeney even though he didnt play last year.
                                RT Lamp/Barksdale

That leaves Burwell, Clark, Tevi, Wiggins to fight for 1 to 2 positions (9 or 10 OL). Tevi I think could get PS duty to develop and I doubt would get snatched up. I can see us even releasing a Hairston or Barksdale if they think for cap relief if they dont show any better than Burwell, Clark and Wiggins.

Comment

Who knows. Pulley had 25 straight starts at RG in college. Maybe Feeney at OC and Pulley at RG makes sense when all is said and done. Feeney is a very cerebral player and will probably pick things up fairly quickly. Pulley has some similarities to John Miller the RG in Buffalo. Smaller more nimble player with good feet. Cutting his teeth at Center probably helps Pulley transition to RG. I think Lamp would beat out Barksdale at RT no problem.

Thing is.....if Lamp is Zack Martin at OG just set it and forget it. The addition of Martin and Frederick on that Dallas OL was the turning point for them. They had really struggled to pick up Callahans zone scheme until those 2 players were drafted.

I think Feeney and Lamp are our version of those 2 players.
                                  Lele Me Ka Aeto

Comment

I guess at the end of the day I want the best 5 out there...or at least those that project to be the best 5 given time to mature. Okung, Slausson, Pulley/Tuerk, Feeney, Lamp. We have the need to develop our young guys and we have a lot of them with Feeney, Lamp plus Tuerk being higher draft picks we really need to give opportunity to grow. IMO the other guys are pluses if they can step up and compete as possible starters or as part timers/backups.

The line has been really revamped in my mind with the mindset of youth to build a line for the next 4-5 years....I hope Barksdale and Hairston are viewed as our 2nd tier guys now and the young guys show enough to beat them out.

Comment

The thing was that while Lamp may resemble Martin in many ways, they already had Doug Free and Tyron Smith. For the Cowboys, it was an easy choice as to where to play Martin. For us, we have a lot more holes to fill.

Comment

Right now it looks like the coaches have it as:

Okung
                                        Slausson
                                        Pulley
                                        Lamp
                                        Barksdale

They seem to like the Okung & Slausson combo on the left side ... lots of comments on how smart Pulley is and how Rivers is comfortable with him ... Lamp pretty much has to start somewhere and they talk about him being the best "guard" or "interior lineman" in the draft etc. And Barksdale has been rolling with the ones.

Stuff can happen, during TC and with trades or injuries or surprise showings but right now, those are our starters. And I'm fine with that.

PS - That said I'm pulling for Feeney (pardon the pun) to be a starter at some point this season and the earlier the better but the coaches may be afraid of starting rookies side by side on the inside.

if it were me I would go:

Okung
                                        Lamp
                                        Slausson
                                        Freeney
                                        Barksdale

unless one of Pulley/Tuerk looked like an all pro at Center.
                                        Last edited by Big Dog; 06-01-2017, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Another possibility is to try Tuerk at right tackle. Fleet has often mentioned that Tuerk is very mobile, and it sounds like he's put on weight this year. So maybe he can give Barksdale a run for his money.

Comment

Working...
                                          X