• Show
Clear All
  • BoltBacker
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Send PM

The New Woodhead/Welker?

If we aren't deep enough we just added Mitchell Paige.

The new Danny Woodhead? Julian Edelman? Wes Welker? The Chargers might have something in newly-signed WR Mitchell Paige.

Any thoughts?

If not as good as the headline is he a potential threat to Travis Benjamin at a minimum. I don't see Woodhead on the tape but I do see hints of the Wes Welker comparison. Curious how good his hands are, if he can catch Benjamin may be in trouble carrying the big salary.

Potential practice squad guy replacing Benjamin next year.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

I have no idea what Paige is doing here. He seems to have no pro-level physical attributes that I can see. I'd probably look for a 6'5 guy with hands for the squad.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

He's pretty quick. Quickness makes big plays in the slot. He is also a good athlete.

Comment

• Grinners
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        He's pretty quick. Quickness makes big plays in the slot. He is also a good athlete.
        +1

Comment

• whookimane
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

So because he is white wr he is automatically compared to Woodhead and Welker? :umm:

This dude has 0 talent not even gonna come close to making the team.. and please if benjamin is cut to fill his spot with this guy you can throw this back in my face for the rest of eternity

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Boltjolt commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok I compare him to Edeman. Oh wait, he white too. Actually I have no idea who he is and don't care. Probably camp fodder.
        • BoltBacker
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Las Vegas, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by whookimane View Post
          So because he is white wr he is automatically compared to Woodhead and Welker? :umm:

This dude has 0 talent not even gonna come close to making the team.. and please if benjamin is cut to fill his spot with this guy you can throw this back in my face for the rest of eternity
          From his college football coach,

"I'm not saying he's the next Wes Welker," said Indiana coach Kevin Wilson, invoking the god of small, white slot receivers. "But he is a heck of a good football player."

So who knows, the Chargers have a history picking up undrafted free agents and Wes Welker is the famous one we let go. Crazier things have happened.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by whookimane View Post

0 talent yet on an NFL roster, damn what's his secret?! Btw his 40 was identical to Wes welker, a better vert, and maybe most importantly, a better 3 cone time. If you're going to put any stock in track numbers, the 3 cone is the most important one when looking at slot receivers imo.

And this dude has already defined the odds. Most tryout players don't end up with a contract.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
              I have no idea what Paige is doing here. He seems to have no pro-level physical attributes that I can see. I'd probably look for a 6'5 guy with hands for the squad.
              His three cone time suggests pro level quickness, and we're talking about a slot receiver, so I'd say that's pretty noteworthy.

Also put up 17 reps on the bench. Shorter arms probably helped, but that's an above average number, especially for a guy that weighs about 175.
              Last edited by Antonio's Gates; 05-18-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

This guy sounds like the guy (who was so good, I forgot his name already!) the Chargers signed last year when all the receivers went down. The small, not very fast, WR who was most famous for snapping the ball on that stupid Colts fake punt against the Patriots. He was supposed to be smart, crafty, football savvy, etc. But really he just sucked. I think Telesco has a soft spot for Indiana teams (Notre Dame, UI, anyone who played for the Colts at any time). And maybe this guy reminded Telesco of himself, who was once a small, not very fast WR who was smart. I don't see him making the team unless Telesco makes a pet of him.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

We'll see. Those numbers don't mean anything when you are only 175 lbs and under. Probably has a hard time staying at 175. Trying to find the next TY Hilton is never easy. Small dudes rarely pan out.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Big guys are long shots to make it.....not sure that is the point.

Comment

• whookimane
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post

0 talent yet on an NFL roster, damn what's his secret?! Btw his 40 was identical to Wes welker, a better vert, and maybe most importantly, a better 3 cone time. If you're going to put any stock in track numbers, the 3 cone is the most important one when looking at slot receivers imo.

And this dude has already defined the odds. Most tryout players don't end up with a contract.
                      My bad I thought this went without saying, 0 talent relative to other NFL players. So yeah he is a talented football player relative to the average person as he is a D1 player with an NFL tryout. But In terms of competing for a spot on an NFL roster relative to other WRs in the NFL, he has 0 talent. A couple of years ago when we signed tyrell williams as an UDFA there was something to be excited about as he had legitimate NFL raw talent as a 6 3 wr running low 4.4s, I cannot say the same about this guy

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍