• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Gus Bradley

You listen to Gus Bradley in pressers and he seems like this real nice guy. Always smiling and upbeat and soft spoken.

Check this out (it starts at about 1:40)

Reminds me of Marty, getting after the OL. I like Gus!

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

The somewhat simplification in system I think is going to result in more big plays. Less thinking, more reacting. I think our D is going to be a very tough unit.

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

I think it was Attouchu who said he really liked the simplicity of the D....there's a guy who needs to come on strong this year
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• floydefisher
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • siberiacuse, ny
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
        The somewhat simplification in system I think is going to result in more big plays. Less thinking, more reacting. I think our D is going to be a very tough unit.
        Sounds a lot like Pagano...where did that get us?
        sigpic

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think it will take a few games for the defense to adopt the new scheme. To trust in it. That was the message of Bradley in that video -- do your assignment, trust the coverage, trust your teammate. Do your job, quit trying to do everyone elses. It was something Marty preached, too.

What I understood of Pagano was that his defenses were complex with a lot of disguising. And each year there were mental lapses, missed assignments, lost contain, and fundamentals (tackling!) suffered. So about game 10, Ol' John would simplify things and focus on fundamentals so the players could 'play faster'. There would be a late season improvement, thus guaranteeing Pagano would be on staff the following year. Lather, rinse repeat.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Hopefully Bradley doesn't teach the Prevent Defense.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Pagano did NOT run a simple defense. He was extremely creative. However, that led to a lot of mistakes.
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Jalen Ramsey on Chargers' Gus Bradley: 'We never changed defenses'

34SHARES

By: Zach RaineyRELATED

Chargers' Denzel Perryman loving Gus Bradley's new system

per ESPN..RELATED

Chargers DC Bradley: 'Every play we call is designed to get the ball away'

Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Since Ramsey is a rookie I wouldn't put too much faith in what he says. I think he may be right in terms of playing the same schemes, but how does Ramsey know that is not the key to defensive success? How many championships has he been around?

Plenty of championship teams credits keeping things simple and just executing as a reason for their success. Dallas Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson, Tony Dungy in TB and Indy, Bill Belichick, Miami Dolphins under Arnsparger, Lombardi on offense and defense, Wade Phillips various defenses, NY Giants under both Parcells and Coughlin.

Gus Bradley worked under Monte Kiffin in TB and got his recommendation to coach in Seattle. Kiffin was the ultimate in keep things simple kinda coach. Since Kiffin and the others above are some of the best defensive minds in football for a long, long time, I think they know what they are doing.

Listen to the video and you can hear it. "Do your job"....... Any defense, no matter how complicated, won't work if you don't have 11 guys doing it together. Play any scheme, confuse the crap out of the offense..... Nothing works unless the entire unit does things together. We have given up way too many cheap yards and cheap points to teams.

I always thought Pagano was running stuff that he wanted to do on defense, rather than running as much defense as the players can handle. No evidence, but Pagano never had a complete season, where they played at a high level. Write it off to whatever you want, but it was time for a change.

Comment

Sounds like Ramsey's just looking for someone to blame. Here, he blames the actual defensive coordinator:

Comment

• RTPbolt
                      Charger Fan till the end
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Carolina
                      • Send PM

Pags had his good days and bad days....and those bad days were pretty bad. It always seemed to take him 10 games before he could figure out how to deal with the injuries. I would say I liked when he was aggressive but it definitely seemed we had collapses when we knew the opposing offense was going into any kind of hurry up mode....he had no answer other than prevent. Granted our talent wasnt always there but we folded too much on his defensive scheme and it absolutely cost us many games a season last year when he just couldnt call a 4th quarter game plan to protect a lead.

I am glad we got a proven DC in Bradley. I believe it will take time but he's already garnered the respect of our defense and coaches and they seem to buy in to the system. Simplicity will make for an easier transition. We have a solid backfield in Verrett and Hayward with some good talent behind them. I think the safeties will be adequate and might actually surprise under Bradley. Ingram and Bosa and Mebane are a good base and I like our linebacker core of young talent. Bradley has some pretty solid tools to work with. I have hope!

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Chargers DE Jerry Attaochu's homework: Watch Chris Clemons to learn new scheme

SAN DIEGO -- With a new defensive coordinator, a new position and a new scheme, Los Angeles Chargers edge rusher Jeremiah AttaochuChris ClemonsPhiladelphia Eaglesreceived a checkup from his doctor
                        So if Attaochu is the LEO, where does Ingram play?
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X