• Show
Clear All
  • Big Dog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

#7 WR group in the NFL

7. Los Angeles Chargers

14 catchesran routes at full speedprimary slot receiver. Travis Benjamin, who caught 47 passes for 677 yards and four touchdowns last season, could be used primarily as a return man
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

I think we are higher than that when all is said and done. We have a monster WR core. Honestly its pretty ridiculous when you add in the TEs. If we can protect Rivers and run block....we may have the best O in the league. Im serious. Fix the OL and we are off to the races. In turn this will also help the defense.

Benjamin is a legit X factor this season. I think most of Benjamins plays last year were designed with Allen on the field. Jailbreaks....trips etc. I really think losing Allen hurt his role. But you never know he may end up being yet another big money free agent bust. But i cant help but feel that maybe he shows up this year. His deep ball awareness is a concern as we saw in the TB game. But when hes in space he can be deadly. Hilton dosnt have the best hands. Both Hilton and Benjamin cant catch the ball like Djax who actually uses his hands. All 3 of these guys have similar abilities. This offense is fairly scripted. And Rivers is the type of QB that goes off of that script. He always knows where that open receiver will be. It felt like last year we were forcing throws to unopen WRs. And a lot of that was lost when Allen went down. We just were not effeicient in the pass game and seemed to be off most weeks. Plays never could develop with piss poor OL play.

Maybe Benjamin just bombs this year. But i wouldn't be surprised if he impresses us and makes us second guess the bad taste we have in our mouths over him. A revamped OL and Allen being back may end up launching Benjamin into a great season.

Comment

• King Bolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      Generous Donor
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

A little respect. A little hope. I'll take it. It's a start.

I read where Rivers is putting his priority on cutting down on interceptions from last year. Some improvement there alone could mean 2 or 3 games.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Potentially, it could be a lot more than 2 games.

A lot of Rivers interceptions are when he HAS to try and make plays. You can talk about protecting the ball all you want, but you can't play it safe late in the game when time is running out. Give Rivers time, and receivers and he will make plays. Hell, he makes a lot of plays to WR who are inconsistent and when he has the bare minimum of time. He also faces tons of 3rd and long situations.

Give Rivers the protection so he can have more time, and get to his improved WR corp, makes some plays in the running game, and protect him on passing downs and I think we are fine. The offensive inconsistency is all about not being able to consistently block teams, and that has been happening with us for years.

The improvements with Mike Williams at WR and Tyrell Williams continuing to improve and Allen back, and I think the protection will improve just because teams won't be blitzing us as much. Add in the better OL, and I think the offense could potentially be a lot better.

Comment

• King Bolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          Generous Donor
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Maybe with new coaches we are less scripted this year and give Rivers a little more freedom? Thoughts there on how that will play out?

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

I think the key will be Allen coming back in for those quick short to medium range routes in zone defense...he just kills it with Rivers. If defenses dont defend against him Rivers had no problem firing at him for 10-15 times a game the last few years. I think MW will be another good short to mid range guy as well especially the outside routes on the sidelines where Rivers can aim high and let MW go get the ball and MW seems to be ok with the deep sideline routes too. Defenses will have to adjust for those two and that opens up TW and Benjamin for the deeper routes 1 on 1 IMO. With Hunter and Gates as short/mid route guys and Gordon on the dump offs this team really can be a top 3 offense. Even last year we were a top offense until more wheels started falling off....once the OL pieces disintegrated and the receivers couldnt beat coverages (starting our 4th and 5th guys) that was when Rivers was forced to throw early and into tighter coverage...give us our starting WRs back plus decent pass protection and not being behind in the 4th quarter and i think the INTs drops significantly.

The OL will be the biggest ? still but I like the young talent mixed with some younger backups with our 2-3 vets. They just need to get time to gel and stay mostly healthy.

If we get the run blocking running middle of the road I think Gordon can go off to force defenses to run stop. Wiz and Rivers will mix in the deep passes like we used to with Floyd and VJ for the chunk plays....now its Benjamin, TW, MW and I think Hunter Henry even has show good speed against the LBs to beat out coverage on the deeper passes.

Exciting potential for sure.....nothing but paper now but I expect we will have a good to top offense. May take some games for it all to come together but lets hope game 1 we can go in and beat the Donks with their bottom 1/2 offense. I think Denver will be nervous with us coming in....they showed they were vulnerable and they still have no solution for a top QB with any experience.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

The only limit on this Offense will be the coaches. Do they do just enough to win or or do they try to blow the doors off the other team? I think they try to do just enough to win. I'd prefer they set a goal of 50 points a game.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Plenty of teams have lost games by being too aggressive and going for the knockout blow and let the other team back in the game.

I think if we go back to the formula we had under McCoy, we would be fine. Get the ball, control it and don't let the other team have the time to come back. We don't need to score a bunch of TD, just keep kicking FG and score a few TD, and kill 5 to 10 minutes every time we get a drive.

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

We have a lot of weapons on paper.

The key...like every season before this...will be how much the OL can give us + health. If we even at least improve to an AVERAGE running game...it will be huge for us in terms of opening things up.
                  ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Plenty of teams have lost games by being too aggressive and going for the knockout blow and let the other team back in the game.

I think if we go back to the formula we had under McCoy, we would be fine. Get the ball, control it and don't let the other team have the time to come back. We don't need to score a bunch of TD, just keep kicking FG and score a few TD, and kill 5 to 10 minutes every time we get a drive.
                    Steve, we had the lead in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 15 of our 23 losses the past 2 years. Offensively, we ranked 20th and 29th in points scored in the 3rd and 4th quarters, respectively, the past 2 years.
                    I'm not sure following McCoy's offensive ideas are good for my health :beer:
                    Last edited by WindsorUK; 06-05-2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

I personally have had enough of this team trying to run the clock out from the opening kickoff. They've just been so passive. Take the ball and ram it down the other teams throats for 60 minutes. Don't sit back and let the other team use you as their little bitch.

Oh, that's winning football...... Bullshit.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Concudan
                        Bhi craic agus ceol again
                        Generous Donor
                        • Jun 2017
                        • Principal Quality Engineer
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                        I personally have had enough of this team trying to run the clock out from the opening kickoff. They've just been so passive. Take the ball and ram it down the other teams throats for 60 minutes. Don't sit back and let the other team use you as their little bitch.

Oh, that's winning football...... Bullshit.
                        I agree and disagree. It depends on who your opponent is and what their strengths are. What I hated under McCoy was we would have a strong first half then shut down in the second half and not adjust at all to what the opposition was doing differently. What I don't like is not adjusting to what the teams are doing, that is what I saw from McCoy his last two seasons.

I like what I am hearing about the new HC holding players accountable and calling them out. Hopefully that carries over into game time.

Comment

Working...
                        X