• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Ingram Holds Out initially, but signs!

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports franchise-tagged OLB Melvin Ingram is expected to skip minicamp and potentially part of training camp.

Ingram is already sitting out OTAs. The Chargers haven't made any progress on an extension for him and reportedly have concerns over his injury history and fit in DC Gus Bradley's scheme. Ingram is targeting Chandler Jones money (five years, $82.5 million). The sides have until July 15 to work out a deal.

So he has not signed his tag? I hope they work this out. I think Bosa was going to help Melvin turn a corner. Not sure for that much money though. He's been good but kind of inconsistant I think.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Not yet.

I think hes a perfect fit at SAM eventhough i think he plays Leo with Bosa at 5T. I could see Toomer playing well at SAM. I like how Seattle uses Clark in multiple gaps especially over center and blitz up the gut. I always felt that Ingram would have made a nice ILB. I could see him lining up over a few gaps in our system.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Is he concerned he won't be the best fit for Bradley, and therefore wants as much as he can get now?

Comment

• Rugger05
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          Is he concerned he won't be the best fit for Bradley, and therefore wants as much as he can get now?
          He is concerned if he signs a one year deal, he might revert to his china doll ways earlier in his career. Smart move by him actually

Comment

• Attack
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2017
            • Send PM

I'm glad that Ingram was tagged, because I think he'd be good for the short term, meaning the upcoming 2017 season. I was hoping that he'd walk after the 2017 season, and we'd have a Derek Barnett to take his spot on defense. I don't feel Ingram is worth a long term deal averaging $16.5M a yr that Chandler signed. Maybe Attachou has a breakout yr this season and realizes his potential.

Comment

• RollingThunder
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

So what happens if he sits out? Lost money and that's it?

Comment

• Concudan
                Bhi craic agus ceol again
                Generous Donor
                • Jun 2017
                • Principal Quality Engineer
                • Send PM

I am not sure why so many people are down on Ingram. I think he is a good player for us.

Here is an article I recently saw comparing him to Vernon of the Giants.

Take it as you will....

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Concudan View Post
                  I am not sure why so many people are down on Ingram. I think he is a good player for us.

Here is an article I recently saw comparing him to Vernon of the Giants.

Take it as you will....
                  I agree. And we should sign him to a long term contract now. He's not going to get any cheaper.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Big Dog
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Better forChargers if it is 1 year deal, then he has to do it again ...I'm worried he gets injured if we go long term or a drop off in performance, last year was contract year and his best year by a lot, coincidence ?? NOT !!!!

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Most former rush LB do well as LEO type DE. Last year we dropped him into pass coverage a lot more, and his pass rush stats suffered. I expect them to go up this season, now that he is (finally) full-time rush guy. Plus he won't have to play over the TE as much as last year either.

I think it is probably a good move by both sides to wait and see on a new contract, given that the defense is changing. Some guys don't adjust well, for whatever reason. I think he will convert pretty well, but you just never know. If he adapts reasonably well, I can see him being signed long term. It may also drive his price up some if he has a good year.

IT could also backfire if he starts slowly and then comes on strong, Then there is the desire to get him for a bit less because his production is a bit lower, but he would still want to get paid like a top edge rusher.

Unfortunately, with the amount of cap space out there for other teams, if we don't pay him, someone else will.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Ingram is a top athlete. I don't expect him to have any issues at Leo.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞