Clear All
  • Concudan
    Bhi craic agus ceol again
    Generous Donor
    • Jun 2017
    • Principal Quality Engineer
    • Send PM

Options plenty for Chargers to replace Danny Woodhead's production

Danny Woodhead was a versatile performer when healthy, but the Chargers are focused on finding more durable player to replace his production.

SAN DIEGO -- The Los Angeles Chargers return to the field for the final week of organized team activities this week.

Reporters will have access to practice on Tuesday, so we'll get a chance to see if rookie receiver Mike Williams has made it back onto the field after dealing with back tightness the past few weeks.

The Chargers conclude offseason work with a mandatory minicamp June 13-15. All three of those practices will be open to reporters.

Let's get to this week's mailbag:
    @eric_d_williams Who is in line to replace Woodhead's spot if anybody? I thought they might have drafted McCaffery to replace him.

@eric_d_williams: Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey would have made sense for the Chargers, but of course they took Williams at No. 7 and the Carolina Panthers grabbed McCaffrey with the very next pick.

As I wrote last week, third-year pro Branden Oliver will fill some of the void left by talented pass-catching back Danny Woodhead signing with the Baltimore Ravens in free agency.

Woodhead was a versatile performer for the Chargers when healthy because of his ability to run in between the tackles and make defenders miss out in the open field as a receiver.

However, the 32-year-old Woodhead basically missed two of the last three seasons because of injury, and one of head coach Anthony Lynn's priorities has been finding more durable players at every position group.

For now, Oliver and free-agent signee Kenjon Barner will get the first chance to replace Woodhead's production as a complementary back to workhorse Melvin Gordon. New running backs coach Alfredo Roberts does a nice job of breaking down his position group here.

ESPN NFL fantasy writer Mike Clay projects Oliver to rack up 96 touches for 432 total yards from scrimmage. I believe Oliver will easily surpass that if he stays healthy.

Another player to watch is Andre Williams. A powerful runner, Williams should spell Gordon on early downs if he makes the roster, lessening the load for the Wisconsin product so that he can stay healthy through the duration of a long season.

@eric_d_williams Do you think the two rookies (Feeney and Lamp) look ready to jump into the starting line up to start the year?

@eric_d_williams:Lynn had positive things to say about first-round selection Forrest Lamp and third-round selection Dan Feeney when asked about the two rookies a few weeks ago.

As it stands, Freeney is working with the second unit at right guard and Feeney with the second group at left guard. Feeney also has seen time at center.

The focus for both during the offseason is to pick up the offense as quickly as possible so they can compete for time with the starters once training camp begins, so the next two weeks is truly a time for teaching and learning.

Lynn said he will get a better sense for where both fit once training camp begins at the end of July, when the Chargers put the pads on.

However, so far folks in the organization like what they have seen from Lamp and Feeney. They have the talent and potential to work their way into the starting lineup. But like every other player on the 90-man roster, the two rookies will have to prove it on the field.
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

It will be interesting to see how the RB situation goes this TC. Gordon is the obvious starter. Oliver could be the top backup/change of pace guy or the 3rd down guy. Barner could be in the mix as a 3rd down guy if he can develop some pass protection skills. Williams could be the backup RB and change of pace guy. It will be interesting to see how the players work out

The big thing will be how well does Oliver catch on to route running. He is a better runner than Woodhead, but he is basically a screen and check-down guy. 3rd down backs tend to do more real routes. That was just not something we asked him to do. As a receiver, he averages about 2 yards less per catch that Woodhead, which makes a big difference on 3rd and longs. I think he can be a special player in either role, but he has to get on the field and step his game up. HE has stepped his game up every time he has been challenged, but the health thing is key.

I can see Barner doing more as a receiver. He has the fluid moves and speed/quickness combination to be a good receiver. He doesn't have much more experience as a route runner as Oliver. Unless he can step up his pass protection, he won't get much of a chance on the field. Defenses will just take him out of the passing game by blitzing him unless he can prove he's up to it. Given his movement skills, I think teams would do that, since he can run away from so many LB and S. He might be able to make it as a slot receiver and return guy, but we are pretty loaded with WR, so I think his chances (and background) make him a better bet as a RB. But some guys never pick up the pass protection thing.

Wiliams has to prove he can pass protect too. The Giants cut him because he could only be used in running situations, and then only as a ball carrier. He has the best pure run skills of our RB but is not much of a receiver, and his pass protection thing. He could be a nice addition to the running game, but his lack of ability in any part of the passing game is just killing his playing time. I think he would be a little like Michael Turner as a RB. Really able to break tackles and give the offense a boost. If he can pass protect, he could be a good screen and check-down guy. I don't think he is going to be able to run away from LB and S with his route running, so he is stuck as a change of pace guy.

2 of the 3 of them should make it, but it's hard to tell how they fit in till we see them play.

Comment

• Big Dog
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Evaluating the Running Backs with RB Coach Alfredo Roberts

Friday, June 02, 2017 1:38 PM PDT

By Ricky Henne

Managing Editor
      Chargers.com

@ChargersRHenne

Melvin GordonBranden OliverKenjon BarnerAndre WilliamsKenneth Farrow powers through defenders for 9-yard run
      Chargers.com: Another guy fighting for touches is Kenneth Farrow, who took over as the starter last year after Melvin Gordon

Chargers.com: You also have a fullback in your room in Derek Watt, who is going into his second year. That is a position that has changed a lot in terms of responsibilities. Why is Derek Watt

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Replace Woodhead's production. Ummmm.....what production would that be? He missed missed almost half of the 4 years he was here due to injury. they make it sound like he was an indespensable cog in our offense. Loved his play when healthy; but i dont see this as a big hole to fill at all. He just was not healthy enough while here.

An excellent 3rd down back and change of pace guy. You are in trouble if he needs to be a lead horse for any length of time.
        Last edited by Panamamike; 06-04-2017, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
          Replace Woodhead's production. Ummmm.....what production would that be? He missed missed almost half of the 4 years he was here due to injury. they make it sound like he was an indespensable cog in our offense. Loved his play when healthy; but i dont see this as a big hole to fill at all. He just was not healthy enough while here.

An excellent 3rd down back and change of pace guy. You are in trouble if he needs to be a lead horse for any length of time.
          Great points. And the other thing about Woodhead, who was a great player when healthy, was that Rivers and Wisenhunt seemed to over rely on him, in both the passing and running game. I really think Woodhead getting hurt is what is going to finally let Gordon reach his potential and it will aid the development of all the young WR and TEs, too.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I don't think Gordon is ever going to be a true 3rd down guy. He is solid in checkdowns, swings, and screens, but learning to run routes takes time and patience and a lot of RB never learn how. You can only play a RB on so many downs before they wear down, so if he plays a lot on 3rd downs, then the change of pace guys play a bigger role earlier in the snap count. I would rather see Gordon finally become a featured RB, and another RB step up and become the 3rd down guy, giving Gordon some downs off.

Comment

• Concudan
              Bhi craic agus ceol again
              Generous Donor
              • Jun 2017
              • Principal Quality Engineer
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I don't think Gordon is ever going to be a true 3rd down guy. He is solid in checkdowns, swings, and screens, but learning to run routes takes time and patience and a lot of RB never learn how. You can only play a RB on so many downs before they wear down, so if he plays a lot on 3rd downs, then the change of pace guys play a bigger role earlier in the snap count. I would rather see Gordon finally become a featured RB, and another RB step up and become the 3rd down guy, giving Gordon some downs off.
              It will be interesting to see how the new coaching uses him. There were many plays nade for an RB like MG28 that McCoy and crew went finesse on... I think he could be a good short yardage back on any down, but I agree he isn't going to ever be known for being a 3rd down back IMO.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

They went finesse the last couple of years because our line sucked and going power wasn't getting it done. I don't think it had anything to do with Gordon. But our line had 20% of all our running plays hit for a loss. In an obvious running down, that percentage would go up, not down. And even in plays where we would have gotten Gordon back to the line, how many would be no or too short of a gain to convert?

The big improvement is the focus on adding top players at OG. You have a hard time running the ball if the OG aren't able to getting a running play going. That is why adding Feeney and Lamp is so key.

Historically Lynn has been a big believer of using multiple backs. He has not been an OC, but every stop that he has been at he has been on various staff's who use multiple backs. But he is fairly flexible in how he does it. When he wants to feature a top guy, then it is about finding other smaller roles for backups. When he is looking for RB groups with even talent levels, then it's more a mix and match.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Color me unimpressed with the options plenty we have to replace Woodhead. I understand the hesitation to sign a 30+ year old RB who has missed so much time in the past few seasons. But if you want players who stay on the field, Brandon Oliver isn't who I'd look to. He has played in 22 out of a possible 48 games over the past 3 seasons - not my definition of durable. And with Gordon's injury history, I wouldn't be shocked if if guys like Williams and Barner get a lot of touches - and that is definitely a scary proposition.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I look for Henry to get a lot of those 3rd down balls this year.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                      I look for Henry to get a lot of those 3rd down balls this year.
                      I agree. I think he is going to have a HUGE year.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

And if Henry gets those balls, our 3rd down back needs to be an excellent blocker not primarily a pass catcher.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X