• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

The 3rd down back always needs to be a good blocker. He is in the best position to pick up the blitzers, so any change in protection has him one on one vs a rusher. He doesn't have to dominate, but he does have to keep Rivers upright.

If our RB (all of them, not just the 3rd down guy) can do a good job in pass protection, I think there is an excellent chance that we can get teams to stop blitzing as much. Not many teams like removing players from coverage if they aren't getting pressure. Rivers is a player who has to get moved off his mark. If we can keep him upright, with a cleanish pocket, we will have a good season.

Comment

• Concudan
      Bhi craic agus ceol again
      Generous Donor
      • Jun 2017
      • Principal Quality Engineer
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The 3rd down back always needs to be a good blocker. He is in the best position to pick up the blitzers, so any change in protection has him one on one vs a rusher. He doesn't have to dominate, but he does have to keep Rivers upright.

If our RB (all of them, not just the 3rd down guy) can do a good job in pass protection, I think there is an excellent chance that we can get teams to stop blitzing as much. Not many teams like removing players from coverage if they aren't getting pressure. Rivers is a player who has to get moved off his mark. If we can keep him upright, with a cleanish pocket, we will have a good season.
      I agree. They have to be good blockers. At least be able to put a bump on someone coming in, and then go off into the flat. That is actually one of the biggest improvements the coaches said MG28 made his second year is being able to block. Not sure how BO43 did...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Pass Pro.
        Job prerequisite.
        Exactly why I do not like Andre.

As Sid Gillman once said about a big, burly TE
        "he doesn't have any hands."
        You don't know ball

Comment