Clear All
  • Concudan
    Bhi craic agus ceol again
    Generous Donor
    • Jun 2017
    • Principal Quality Engineer
    • Send PM

Los Angeles Chargers: 3 Reasons Philip Rivers can win a Super Bowl

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/l...er-bowl-061517 quarterback Philip Rivers announced this week that he is ready to play football for the rest of his life

Jan 1, 2017; San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt (L) talks with quarterback Philip Rivers (17) during the third quarter against the Kansas City Chiefs at Qualcomm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports

has a great set of coaches around him

Jun 13, 2017; San Diego, CA, USA; Los Angeles Chargers running back Melvin Gordon (28) catches a pass during mini camp at Charger Park. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports

2. Melvin Gordon

Nov 27, 2016; Houston, TX, USA; San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers (17) and outside linebacker Melvin Ingram (54) walk onto the field before a game against the Houston Texans at NRG Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

1. The Chargers Young, Hungry DefenseJoey Bosa
  • BoltAtlantic
    Professional Cynic
    • Jun 2017
    • Virginia Beach, VA
    • Send PM

Interesting read.

If the offensive line does not resemble a MASH unit and can play halfway capably, then yeah, why not? Gordon has the makings of a star if folks can block for him, and PR has shown he can slash a defense to ribbons if he is not always running for his life. And the more we can keep the offense on the field, the better the defense will perform.

Of course, all of this is a big "If".
    There's no replacement for displacement, but a ProCharger sure helps...

Comment

• Rugger05
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltAtlantic View Post
      Interesting read.

If the offensive line does not resemble a MASH unit and can play halfway capably, then yeah, why not? Gordon has the makings of a star if folks can block for him, and PR has shown he can slash a defense to ribbons if he is not always running for his life. And the more we can keep the offense on the field, the better the defense will perform.

Of course, all of this is a big "If".
      Welcome BoltAtlantic!!!

I think we all agree if the OL is at least serviceable that is worth 3 more wins. I still believe the D could be special. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds!!!

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I think we can all agree that a head coach with balls is worth at least 3 more wins too.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• RobH
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Tokyo, Japan
          • University English Lecturer
          • Send PM

I stopped reading when he said LA was one of the most beautiful places in the country.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
            I stopped reading when he said LA was one of the most beautiful places in the country.
            take a trip to Detroit, Cincy, Cleve, Chicago, Buffalo etc. you may realize that although it is not SD, LA ain't THAT bad for visual and weather.

Comment

• Concudan
              Bhi craic agus ceol again
              Generous Donor
              • Jun 2017
              • Principal Quality Engineer
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
              I think we can all agree that a head coach with balls is worth at least 3 more wins too.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The offense was inconsistent the last few years because of the OL. If the interior plays like we hope, and Okung and Barksdale play better because of the talent around them, then I think the offense will be fine. While some of our personnel has been very good, the inability to block and stop penetration on run and pass has been the number one reason for the offensive problems every year but McCoy's 1st year, and before.

After Bosa stepped up, the D really played pretty well, and that was despite the fact that there were a ton of injuries. I think we are going to have a very good D, provided Liuget plays reasonably well and the S step up their play (either last year's guys or the rookies). Adding King as a nickel guy puts a great hybrid CB/S type on the field as our 11th starter.

Comment

• Big Dog
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Adding King as a nickel guy puts a great hybrid CB/S type on the field as our 11th starter.
                  Have you seen the guy, more like hybrid LB / CB / S

Comment

• whitelightning
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2017
                    • Clayton North Carolina. Grew up in San Diego and still call it home!
                    • Retired.
                    • Send PM

TUDE! Great coaching brings out a certain attitude in player's that they need to feed off of. I think Lynn along with Whiz and Bradley may ramp up the tough side of the game for this team. Going in believing you can win is half the battle and the addition of long distance running should only help down the line. I still believe Rivers is good enough as long as the rest of the guys can get out there on Sunday and play.

Comment

Working...
                    X