Clear All
  • Concudan
    Bhi craic agus ceol again
    Generous Donor
    • Jun 2017
    • Principal Quality Engineer
    • Send PM

Los Angeles Chargers forging new identity under Anthony Lynn

Los Angeles ChargersOffseason goals/grade:Move I liked: In need of young, talented depth up front to protect an aging, veteran quarterback in Philip Rivers, the Chargers selected two offensive linemen in the draft -- Forrest Lamp in the second round and Dan Feeney in the third round. Both will push for starting spots once training camp begins in six weeks. Pass protection for Rivers has been spotty at times, which has resulted in inconsistent play from the North Carolina State product over the past two years. With Lamp and Feeney in the fold, along with the addition of Russell Okung in free agency, the Chargers should be more solid up front.

In a draft with several talented defensive players at the top of the board, the Chargers chose to go offense in selecting big-bodied receiver Mike Williams with the No. 7 overall pick. Williams has been slowed by a back injury and hopes to get back on the field by training camp. The selection of Williams could pay dividends in the long run, but I thought the Chargers would have been better in the short term in bringing in a talented playmaker like safety Malik HookerRayshawn Jenkins in the fourth round and Desmond King in the fifth round, so perhaps one of those two works his way into a rotational role.

Biggest question still to be answered in training camp:Keenan Allen and Travis Benjamin looked healthy returning from knee injuries, and Jason VerrettSalary-cap space: $12,415,031 (source: Overthecap.com)

2017 draft picks: 1. WR Mike Williams, 2. OL Forrest Lamp, 3. OL Dan Feeney, 4. SS Rayshawn Jenkins, 5. FS/CB Desmond King, 6. OL Sam Tevi, 7, DL Isaac Rochell.

Undrafted rookie free agents signed: P Toby Baker, TE Sean Culkin, C Dillon Deboer, CB Michael Davis, RB Austin Ekeler, RB, LB Nigel Harris, QB Eli Jenkins, K Younghoe Koo, LB Mike Moore, LB James Onwualu, WR Mitchell Paige, WR Andre Patton, CB Ryan Reid, WR Artavis Scott, CB Brandon Stewart, CB Brad Watson.

Unrestricted free agents signed: S Jahleel Addae, RB Kenjon Barner, S Tre Boston, QB Kellen Clemens, TE Jeff Cumberland, DE Melvin Ingram, OT Russell Okung, RB Branden Oliver, DT Damion Square, LS Mike Windt

Restricted free agents signed: WR Dontrelle Inman, DL Tenny Palepoi, LB Korey Toomer, OL Kenny Wiggins.

Players acquired via trade: None

Anthony Lynn's no-nonsense approach is winning over players, but a young, revamped offensive line must protect Philip Rivers better.
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Not liking the Mike Williams pick because it is not a good short term move is pretty stupid. Really, all draft picks are long term moves. Plus, Hooker is probably a ways away too, given his lack of playing time in college and his own injury history.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I like WRs, pass rushers and OLTs, so I'm good with the pick.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Wild card? Eff that fucker.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

I could see not liking Williams if Adams was still available. But he was taken by the Jets.

Hooker had a higher grade than a lot of S, but he is hardly a sure thing. He has a lot less playing time than the other large number of S in this draft. IF there is a large number of decent S (and this was a great draft for it), why take a question mark at 7?

We took a very good WR prospect and were still able to get 2 decent S prospects later. Most draft's, if you had passed on Hooker, you might not get a decent S pick fall to you. This year there were many decent S types, so I don't think it was much of a risk.

There are some other positions I would rather have addressed than WR. DT or OT would have been good ideas in theory. But then you look at the players available, none was worth the 7th pick.

To me, the only legit argument to second guess Mike Williams is if we passed on a huge collection of picks to trade down a couple of picks. But there were some other top guys in that area, and the trades happening, while decent, would have gotten us out of the top few guys and just added a bunch of much lower ranked guys. The exception would have been Johnathan Allen, but with the injury thing, I can live with that.

Williams was a pretty good pick in that slot.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Williams fit Rivers like a glove. Put the ball in an area and he goes and gets it. End of the year, fans will be loving the pick.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞