How far behind is Chargers WR Mike Williams ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    I loved the pick but if he had a bad back prior to draft day, they sure didnt do their homework. Good job Young Spani's. The teams in good hands :what:
    How do you know that? Bad backs are the kind of thing that I am not sure a lot of players realize they are not as strong, healthy as they should be.

According to the 2nd link, more than half of NFL players have mild disc herniation. I don't think they give a full body MRI to all the players who show up to the combine. I am sure they did an MRI to his neck, given his injury history there, but I don't think because he has a disc herniated now, means that anyone necessarily screwed up. It's just bad luck.

www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20112796

The calendar makes it tempting to cast aside anxiety about Chargers first-round pick Mike Williams being unable to participate in offseason workouts.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

hmmmm....I get the judge the draft in a few years stuff, and I agree with all that that. You lost me on the KA stuff. Seems you are implying he did something wrong and/or could have prevented the non contact injury last year.
      Hmmm I guess I do kinda blame him not being able to make a cut running a route, watching him play those couple games early that season pre-injury he seemed reckless which was cool and all, but it didn't surprise me when he came up lame like he did. I want players to be beastly but smart I guess, maybe that's an oxymoron but he took himself out for the season...by running wrong. Bad luck is the kind way to put it IMHO.

So how you gonna feel if he again is lost for the seasons via a non-contact injury? Good pick? Helped us to the playoffs? Cuz that's what I want from my premier WR, not excuses why he's on the bench.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Hmmm I guess I do kinda blame him not being able to make a cut running a route, watching him play those couple games early that season pre-injury he seemed reckless which was cool and all, but it didn't surprise me when he came up lame like he did. I want players to be beastly but smart I guess, maybe that's an oxymoron but he took himself out for the season...by running wrong. Bad luck is the kind way to put it IMHO.

So how you gonna feel if he again is lost for the seasons via a non-contact injury? Good pick? Helped us to the playoffs? Cuz that's what I want from my premier WR, not excuses why he's on the bench.
        i don't understand what you mean by "running wrong" and "he seemed reckless".

It will suck if gets out for the season again. You are bitter he has had major injuries, as I am sure he is as well. I don't imagine he prefers surgeries and rehab to playing and trying to help the Bolts win. I just do not know what you mean by he was "running wrong" and "he seemed reckless".
        Last edited by Panamamike; 07-20-2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

The only player on this team I've seen " run wrong " is Rivers
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Big Dog
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

McCaffery ... just sayin'

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
              McCaffery ... just sayin'
              Honestly thought he would have been a good pick. He just felt safe if we were going offense. And a guy you can use in 4 spots. I warmed up on the Williams pick but i didnt think we would go that route at all.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Honestly thought he would have been a good pick. He just felt safe if we were going offense. And a guy you can use in 4 spots. I warmed up on the Williams pick but i didnt think we would go that route at all.
                Time will tell. I have BIG doubts he translates well. He has the ideal offense with Cam in a read option though. I don't see him as a 3 down RB at the next level, and i see him as a much better receiver than runner in the NFL. More like reggie bush. Ok career, but not worth a top 10 pick. I actually see him and Samuel being redundant, but both very dangerous in space.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I really just did not want a WR with the 7th pick. Has nothing to do with Williams or anyone else. Just did not think it was as great a need. But the rest of the draft made up for it in my eyes and Williams to me is like a bonus pick now. This first year I did not expect a lot from him -- just some simple routes and some red zone packages.

I know a lot hate the Spanos family, but I really do find it hard to believe that given the extremely serious neck injury Williams had, the Bolts and every other NFL team did not check his neck and spine and review all the medicals. I think this is just bad luck, it is not something that you can 'predict', and it sounds like it has nothing to do with the broken neck he suffered.

Still have high hopes for Williams moving forward, this year notwithstanding.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• therber219
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2017
                    • Iowa
                    • Send PM

This is probably gonna get me alot of flak, but I would rather they just decide to sit him now and do surgery if he needs, instead of the try it and see route. I think they had a really good draft, but Williams isn't the key IMO, it's Lamp and Feeney. If they can help protect Rivers we have all seen him make receivers who are just average look like all pros. If it takes a year to get Williams healthy, it will be better in the long run I think.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

It depends on what you mean by sitting him?

If by sitting him, you think we should put him on injured reserve, then I would disagree with that. There is no point in doing that, even if we KNEW he was going to be out the whole season. When he reports, if he cannot practice, we can put him on the PUP (physically unable to perform) and we are free to sign another player to the Training camp roster. Willaims doesn't use a roster spot unless he is activated off the PUP list.

Once the regular season starts, he goes on the regular season PUP list. Then between weeks 6 and 11, he can have up to 3 weeks (21 calendar days) to practice. We can activate him any time in that 21 days (and be down to the regular 53 man roster limit). After the 11 weeks, if we haven't activated him, he stays on the PUP and cannot practice. In short, even if he never practice, it doesn't matter and it doesn't cost us a roster spot. If he can practice and we don't feel like he is too limited in practice, then we can put him on IR, like we did with Johnny "Porkchop" Troutman a couple years ago. But if his back does recover, then he can be active. I think if he misses that much time, then it is unlikely he would be activated to the roster, but who knows.

I'm not against redshirting him, I just don't see the need to do it right away. If he cost us a roster spot, then it would be different. But we can IR him at any point and still keep his rights, or let the PUP thing drag out, so there is no football reason to do it. There is just no hurry to make a decision unless the doctors have some reason for it.

I don't think he is going to start this season if he was totally healthy and had been through all of the offseason programs. I think he would have been a role player who had more and more playing time, unless injuries forced him into the lineup. So, we aren't out that much. WIth Inman and Benjamin, behind Allen and T. Williams, we are pretty set. We also like to throw to RB and TE's, so we are better off than many NFL offenses.

I also agree with the OL. We keep Rivers upright and keep him out of horrible down and distance situations, (run the ball), and he is going to keep up scoring points. If the D can play like they did last year down the stretch, we are going to be competitive.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

i don't understand what you mean by "running wrong" and "he seemed reckless".

It will suck if gets out for the season again. You are bitter he has had major injuries, as I am sure he is as well. I don't imagine he prefers surgeries and rehab to playing and trying to help the Bolts win. I just do not know what you mean by he was "running wrong" and "he seemed reckless".
                        I don't understand that you don't understand, but whatever. Dude plays how he plays, just hope he can make it through 2017 without a non-contact injury again.

Comment

• foreigner
                          Tom Telesco is gone
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

We are who we are!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X